Greetings all

Started by foxandpeng, April 26, 2021, 04:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Wanted to finally say hello after being a long time lurker of about 5 years. I guess I want to say thank you for all the help over the years. I don't post, because I'm not a musician in any way, shape or form, and have never felt I have much to contribute of value. I'm by no means a new listener to serious music, but always feel like a comparative beginner.

Your corporate wisdom and pointers are immensely useful!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Welcome to you! I hope that you enjoy your time here. I'm not a musician either - can't read a note of music. All I recall from early music lessons is deliberately knocking the end off my recorder to annoy the bad-tempered music teacher. None of this, however, stops me rambling on and on here about music and my favourite composers. So, I hope that you will be encouraged to comment as well. Who are your favourite composers/musicians?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard! I'm a musician but with limited sight-reading ability. :D I can still read percussion notation rather well, though, but I learned this early on when I was in the school band. Anyway, don't feel afraid to post more often. Another viewpoint is always welcomed here.

foxandpeng

Thanks for being so gracious.

My favourite composers vary like the British weather, to be honest.Lots of Scandinavians and other Northern Europeans, and mostly from the Romantic period onwards.

Most of the last week has been in symphonies by Vaughan Williams, Giya Kancheli and Georges Onslow, and poking around in different Bruckner cycles.

I did have account here up until 2013 as Pencils, but have no idea of my password, and haven't felt brave enough to post for a long while anyway. I do enjoy learning from you all, though!

Thanks for your warmth, both...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Brahmsian

Welcome to GMG, and we are very happy to hear from you.  I'm glad you decided to post.   :)

Also not a musician and know nothing of music other than the simple fact that I enjoy it.

Keep listening and posting as you wish.  8)

bhodges

Hey, foxandpeng, thanks for the "reveal."  8) As you have probably noticed, many different types of people contribute here, from people who just enjoy music, to those who dabble as amateur musicians, to professional composers. All are welcome, including you.

(And Vaughan Williams, Kancheli, Onslow, and Bruckner make an interesting quartet.)

--Bruce

Que

Five years, wow!  Delighted you decided to make the leap and welcome.  :)

André

My favourite composers vary like the British weather, to be honest.Lots of Scandinavians and other Northern Europeans, and mostly from the Romantic period onwards

Love that !  8)

Papy Oli

Olivier

premont

Welcome back to the forum.  :)  I vaguely recall your username pencils.

Very few of us are professional musicians, so there is no reason to be ashamed of being an amateur like the lion's share of us.

Reviewing your earlier posts I also recall this, which is even more actual to day:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pohjolas Daughter

Welcome to you!  Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Yes, welcome aboard from me too. I'll bet that you know more than you give yourself credit for. Try a post or two. Dip your toe into the water and see how you get on.  :)

foxandpeng

Appreciated, all. Nice to be remembered, if only vaguely  :).  I'm not sure I have much more to offer now, than then, and having spent so many years just reading, it might be a hard habit to break. It is nice to have broken the ice again, though.

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 26, 2021, 11:39:11 AM
Thanks for being so gracious.

My favourite composers vary like the British weather, to be honest.Lots of Scandinavians and other Northern Europeans, and mostly from the Romantic period onwards.

Most of the last week has been in symphonies by Vaughan Williams, Giya Kancheli and Georges Onslow, and poking around in different Bruckner cycles.

I did have account here up until 2013 as Pencils, but have no idea of my password, and haven't felt brave enough to post for a long while anyway. I do enjoy learning from you all, though!

Thanks for your warmth, both...
I remember Pencils as well. VW, Bruckner and Kancheli (especially 'Mourned by the Wind') are composers whose music I respond to. I need to investigate George Onslow - any particular recommendations?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

:) ... thank you. I feel silly for so much silence.

Onslow is new to me, to be honest. Yesterday was a chance to hear symphonies 1-4 back to back to make Monday less painful than usual. Not sure Berlioz was right about him being the French Beethoven, but they were certainly enjoyable.

Tolstoy

Wanderer

"Pencils" does ring a (distant) bell. I won't say welcome, since you're not new here, but I will say "good to see you again"!  8)

steve ridgway

Hello foxandpeng. I don't have anything of musical value to contribute either but I like to display my appreciation for the works I enjoy by showing that someone in the world is actually listening to them.

foxandpeng

Thank you. I am a little shy in recent years, but will try to add comments where I can :)

Tolstoy

david johnson

Greetings, and welcome among us.  I, too, enjoy Bruckner  :)