Author Topic: If YOU Could Be the World's Acknowledged Expert on a Composer...  (Read 588 times)

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

Re: If YOU Could Be the World's Acknowledged Expert on a Composer...
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 02:21:11 PM »
Klaus Egge

I know of him, but my middle ear ossicles are innocent, regrettably, of his work.  :(  Do you have a recommend or two of his?
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2021, 03:08:09 PM »
Being the world authority would mean being an expert on the time and place, the wider context, as much as the "mere" person and their music, expert in all other influences including historical, political, philosophical, legal and religious.

With that in mind the world I'd most want to immerse myself in might be that of someone like Peter Abelard. or possibly that of Machaut.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2021, 03:21:16 PM »
Being the world authority would mean being an expert on the time and place, the wider context, as much as the "mere" person and their music, expert in all other influences including historical, political, philosophical, legal and religious.

With that in mind the world I'd most want to immerse myself in might be that of someone like Peter Abelard. or possibly that of Machaut.

Blimey, I'd have never thought that a world fully informed by the Christian faith would have your interest.

What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love!  --- Rachmaninoff

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2021, 03:27:16 PM »
Blimey, I'd have never thought that a world fully informed by the Christian faith would have your interest.

Then you'd have thought wrong. I'd be particularly interested in religious understanding and practices that were specific to the time, those that have fallen away and seem most odd to us now.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 06:34:00 PM »
Worthy subjects all; just FYI, Anthony Beaumont brought out a well-reviewed biography of Zemlinksky in 2000 - nothing less than a passion of his.  That doesn't mean you can't better it!

Ah yes, I’ve ran across that book before on Amazon, but I’d like to see a release on Phaidon Press as these books are more laid out to my liking.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 02:18:37 AM »
Then you'd have thought wrong. I'd be particularly interested in religious understanding and practices that were specific to the time, those that have fallen away and seem most odd to us now.

I see. Well, Abelard's music is certainly an oddity. Has it ever been recorded or published?
What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love!  --- Rachmaninoff

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 02:26:19 AM »
Ah yes, I’ve ran across that book before on Amazon, but I’d like to see a release on Phaidon Press as these books are more laid out to my liking.

I like their books, too, though lately they seem to have taken a page outta Taschen's book (sic).  ;D
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2021, 02:42:37 AM »

Can you imagine being the world's authority, say, on Pierre de la Rue, like Prof. Honey Meconi at the Eastman School? Note that - as you describe the contextual ideal - she is well immersed in the medieval and renaissance worlds. Serendipitously, she also conducts a mentoring series we need:  “Failure is Impossible,” for undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty members at different stages of their careers; yes, I did notice she doesn't mention classical music forum members... :(  https://www.esm.rochester.edu/faculty/meconi_honey/

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2021, 03:01:19 AM »
Speaking of the Eastman, Howard Hanson might be another worthy subject for our acknowledged expert.  And I don't think there's a biography per se (something of an autobiography was published, haven't seen it, based on a draft of Hanson's own).  It'd be fun to retell the story about how he could have prevented WWII, that's how he described it at any rate.  He was in Berlin, I think, in the thirties and happened to share a revolving door with Hitler and could have prevented much suffering and grief right then and there.  (And then there are those who say he himself behaved dictatorially at the Eastman School).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:52:17 AM by Stürmisch Bewegt »

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2021, 05:49:04 AM »
Wait a minute...does the thread title somehow imply that I am not acknowledged as the world’s expert on Pierre Boulez??? ::) >:( :(     ;D ;D ;D ;D
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
«Ognuno sta solo sul cuor della terra
trafitto da un raggio di sole:
ed è subito sera.»

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2021, 12:41:17 PM »
I see. Well, Abelard's music is certainly an oddity. Has it ever been recorded or published?

Scattered recordings have turned up on anthologies of medieval music over the years. And there's also this:

I could just have easily chosen Leonin or Perotin, if they seem more reasonable, but there would be way more source material for Abelard to work with and triangulate from.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2021, 12:46:19 PM »
Can you imagine being the world's authority, say, on Pierre de la Rue, like Prof. Honey Meconi at the Eastman School? Note that - as you describe the contextual ideal - she is well immersed in the medieval and renaissance worlds. Serendipitously, she also conducts a mentoring series we need:  “Failure is Impossible,” for undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty members at different stages of their careers; yes, I did notice she doesn't mention classical music forum members... :(  https://www.esm.rochester.edu/faculty/meconi_honey/

Very interesting. Thanks.

Her book on Hildegard would be something I'd like to find.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2021, 12:48:24 PM »
Scattered recordings have turned up on anthologies of medieval music over the years. And there's also this:

I could just have easily chosen Leonin or Perotin, if they seem more reasonable, but there would be way more source material for Abelard to work with and triangulate from.

This  maybe worth you hearing too

Paul Hillier also recorded Planctus David - there’s an old post of mine somewhere where I looked at all the Planctus David recordings I could find.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2021, 01:00:03 PM »
This  maybe worth you hearing too

Paul Hillier also recorded Planctus David - there’s an old post of mine somewhere where I looked at all the Planctus David recordings I could find.

Thanks for that. I've got the Hillier recording, but I don't think I've heard the one you pictured.