My Published Discography of RIGOLETTO

Started by Bellinilover, April 28, 2021, 09:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bellinilover

I came to this Forum from Talkclassical, and as I posted there I'd like to post here about my new book, available on Amazon.com and titled Verdi's "Rigoletto":  A Select Discography with Commentary.  Both the Kindle and the paperback versions are available now:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093KPWZT8?pf_rd_r=E5EWYWN2TBVCTD9WWP3W&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8&pd_rd_r=4e76e173-46f8-467e-a4e8-06f9a344118b&pd_rd_w=5BQWe&pd_rd_wg=5Vubz&ref_=pd_gw_unk

The book contains in-depth reviews of the best or most interesting audio and video recordings of Verdi's opera made between 1945 and 2016.  The reviews are my own, but they build upon the opinions of respected critics.  The book also contains an Appendix section in which I discuss two Rigoletto-related movies, one of which is 2012's Quartet starring Dame Maggie Smith.  The book's illustrations are photos and Renaissance-themed paintings.

So far as I know, this is the only discography-type book devoted solely to Rigoletto.  If you like this opera and enjoy reading discographies, please consider supporting my first publishing effort and buying my book.

Thanks!

André

A labour of love, I say. I've checked it out and might just buy it.  :)

Rigoletto's curse ('la maledizione') is its popularity with the general public, making it appear less musically and dramatically interesting than the Schiller and Shakespeare-based operas. Pure snobbishness if you ask me. It's an immensely accomplished score and one of Verdi's best IMO.

Thanks for your post. I'll give your book serious consideration.

Bellinilover

Quote from: André on April 29, 2021, 12:17:43 PM
A labour of love, I say. I've checked it out and might just buy it.  :)

Rigoletto's curse ('la maledizione') is its popularity with the general public, making it appear less musically and dramatically interesting than the Schiller and Shakespeare-based operas. Pure snobbishness if you ask me. It's an immensely accomplished score and one of Verdi's best IMO.

Thanks for your post. I'll give your book serious consideration.

Thank you very much. 

How interesting you mention Schiller:  I love Verdi's LUISA MILLER just a little bit more than RIGOLETTO, and of course MILLER is based on Schiller's KABALE UND LIEBE.