A sad loss

Started by Harry, May 04, 2021, 02:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Organist Liuwe Tamminga passed away
BOLOGNA Liuwe Tamminga, from Hemelum (Friesland), died suddenly at the end of last week in his hometown Bologna. He was 67 years old.
Tamminga also played the harpsichord. He specialized in Italian music and was internationally recognized as one of the greatest connoisseurs of organ music in sixteenth and seventeenth century Italy.

Tamminga graduated in 1977 from the then Municipal Conservatory of Groningen and was then further educated in Paris and Italy. He made an international career as a connoisseur and performer of Italian music. He can be heard on numerous CDs.

At the request of the Royal House, Tamminga played at the funeral of Prince Claus in 2002. He still played regularly in Friesland. His 'Elfstedentocht' in 2018 was spectacular: an organ recital of five and a half hours, spread over eleven organs in as many cities.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Cato

Quote from: "Harry" on May 04, 2021, 02:44:09 AM
Organist Liuwe Tamminga passed away
BOLOGNA Liuwe Tamminga, from Hemelum (Friesland), died suddenly at the end of last week in his hometown Bologna. He was 67 years old.
Tamminga also played the harpsichord. He specialized in Italian music and was internationally recognized as one of the greatest connoisseurs of organ music in sixteenth and seventeenth century Italy.

Tamminga graduated in 1977 from the then Municipal Conservatory of Groningen and was then further educated in Paris and Italy. He made an international career as a connoisseur and performer of Italian music. He can be heard on numerous CDs.

At the request of the Royal House, Tamminga played at the funeral of Prince Claus in 2002. He still played regularly in Friesland. His 'Elfstedentocht' in 2018 was spectacular: an organ recital of five and a half hours, spread over eleven organs in as many cities.

So many talented, highly talented people, who are not with us long enough!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

prémont

Yes, cartainly a great musician. Fortunately he left a number of recordings (most of them early Italian baroque organ music), which I listen to rather often.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν