Verdi's String Quartet

Started by Brahmsian, May 13, 2021, 09:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

I am graciously accepting any recommendations for great recordings of Verdi's string quartet.   :)

Something I have heard before, but I still don't have a recording of in my collection.

Florestan

I have it in this box

Haven't listened to it yet.

Hope it helps.  :laugh:
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2021, 12:41:47 PM
I have it in this box

Ohhhhhhhh great! I get to listen to 100 discs of my least favourite music (opera, vocal, Italian opera) just for the one measly string quartet.  :D ::) :laugh: :P

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 13, 2021, 01:04:28 PM
Ohhhhhhhh great! I get to listen to 100 discs of my least favourite music (opera, vocal, Italian opera) just for the one measly string quartet.  :D ::) :laugh: :P

Alternatively, I can let you have that measly SQ.  :laugh:
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2021, 01:22:08 PM
Alternatively, I can let you have that measly SQ.  :laugh:

No, you should keep it as it is a marvelous work.  :)

Papy Oli

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 13, 2021, 01:04:28 PM

alternatively, you get a good door stop... :laugh:
Olivier

Brahmsian

Florestan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 13, 2021, 01:24:46 PM
No, you should keep it as it is a marvelous work.  :)

Well, vocal / operatic / Italian composers can be quite good at writing SQs. Donizetti wrote more than a dozen, all very enjoyable. Hugo Wolf's SQ is marvelous. And rumor has it that Mozart, Schubert and Schumann wrote some good ones, too.  >:D :P :laugh:

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 13, 2021, 09:37:13 AM
I am graciously accepting any recommendations for great recordings of Verdi's string quartet.   :)

Something I have heard before, but I still don't have a recording of in my collection.

This won't be much help, but ... I got it as part of the Venezia String Quartet's Italian SQs album.  I got the mp3 album for $18.  While I can recommend the album, it seems Amazon is now selling the mp3 album for $99, and—much as I like the album, it ain't worth a C-note.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 13, 2021, 01:41:25 PM
This won't be much help, but ... I got it as part of the Venezia String Quartet's Italian SQs album.  I got the mp3 album for $18.  While I can recommend the album, it seems Amazon is now selling the mp3 album for $99, and—much as I like the album, it ain't worth a C-note.

Is this the 10 disc set of Italian string quartet music (by the Venice SQ)? I was actually looking at that one on ArkivMusic.

Brian

Only one I have ever heard is the BIS one where it is coupled with Puccini's works for string quartet. It was nice but I haven't listened in maybe a decade!

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on May 13, 2021, 03:18:39 PM
Only one I have ever heard is the BIS one where it is coupled with Puccini's works for string quartet. It was nice but I haven't listened in maybe a decade!

Quartetto David?

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 13, 2021, 01:47:11 PM
Is this the 10 disc set of Italian string quartet music (by the Venice SQ)? I was actually looking at that one on ArkivMusic.

Aye. If you find it at a price you like, snap it up, says I.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

amw

I have two recordings: Artemis Quartet (Ars Musici) and Delmé Quartet (Hyperion). I definitely prefer the Artemis, but the Delmé may be more readily available.

Biffo

I have it from the Vermeer Quartet coupled with Dvorak String Quartet No 10, Op 51 (Teldec); no idea of its current availability

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2021, 12:41:47 PM
I have it in this box

It's too bad I can't seem to find a stand alone recording with the Quartetto Italiano for this piece, as they are an ensemble I have admired greatly for their Beethoven quartet recordings.

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 13, 2021, 03:53:29 PM
Aye. If you find it at a price you like, snap it up, says I.

Thanks Karl, it is of interest although the price point is a little steep, especially considering that I am looking just for the Verdi (although nothing to suggest I might not love everything else in that box). I'll keep looking though, I might just get lucky.

Brahmsian

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I will post some covers on some of the recordings I am considering, which might be close to about 10, trying to whittle it down to one.  :D

Brahmsian

These are the ones I am narrowing down to (and I'm leaning towards the 10 disc Italian box set, or the Alto recording, a combination of Rafael and Britten SQ ensembles).