Verdi's String Quartet

Started by Brahmsian, May 13, 2021, 09:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 14, 2021, 05:14:21 AM
These are the ones I am narrowing down to (and I'm leaning towards the 10 disc Italian box set, or the Alto recording, a combination of Rafael and Britten SQ ensembles).

I do believe I am going to get that Venezia String Quartet box.  Other than Verdi's string quartet and Puccini's Crisantemi, I am unfamiliar with any of these, but the addition of Boccherini, Bazzini, Respighi and Malipiero string quartets sounds enticing, and we'll be a surprise in a box to these ears.

Found it for $65 Canadian at Presto for the 10 disc set.  Pretty decent.  Thanks, Karl, for the hot tip.  8)

JBS

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 14, 2021, 06:54:37 AM
I do believe I am going to get that Venezia String Quartet box.  Other than Verdi's string quartet and Puccini's Crisantemi, I am unfamiliar with any of these, but the addition of Boccherini, Bazzini, Respighi and Malipiero string quartets sounds enticing, and we'll be a surprise in a box to these ears.

Found it for $65 Canadian at Presto for the 10 disc set.  Pretty decent.  Thanks, Karl, for the hot tip.  8)

And I just ordered it from Amazon MP.

punta del cappello al dottor Henning

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 14, 2021, 06:54:37 AM

Molto bene, Ray!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on May 14, 2021, 01:33:18 PM
And I just ordered it from Amazon MP.

punta del cappello al dottor Henning

Anche bene, mi amico!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jo498

I have three recordings (Hagen/DG with Crisantemi and some opera fluff, Artemis with Brahms #2, Vogler with Lyric suite) but frankly, I don't care so much for the piece. Still couldn't decide to get rid of any of these recordings as they seemed all very good to me, though.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

betterthanfine

How about this one? The Brodskys rarely disappoint and you get the Wolf and Puccini too, along with some fun fillers.