Favorite Contemporary Novelists

Started by Florestan, May 15, 2021, 11:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old San Antone

Cormac McCarthy

A couple of writers that are my favorites, are no longer technically "contemporary" since they unfortunately died recently, Elmore Leonard (2013) and William Gay (2012). 

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 16, 2021, 01:01:08 PM
Margaret Atwood has been a favorite of mine over the years.  Barbara Kingsolver too.  Will think more about other authors.

By the way, has anyone else here read any of their works?

PD

I don't believe I have; what would you rec, PD?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2021, 06:20:48 AM
I don't believe I have; what would you rec, PD?
It's been ages since I read it, but I enjoyed The Bean Trees...also (essays) High Tide in Tucson.

Margaret Atwood:  probably her best known one is The Handmaid's Tale (which was also made into a movie).  Also, Bluebeard's Egg and Other Stories.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 16, 2021, 01:01:08 PM
Margaret Atwood has been a favorite of mine over the years.  Barbara Kingsolver too.  Will think more about other authors.

By the way, has anyone else here read any of their works?

PD

I've only read The Handmaid's Tale.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 17, 2021, 01:24:08 PM
I've only read The Handmaid's Tale.

Sarge
Despite it being published in 1985, sadly, it's still so relevant these days.

How did you like it Sarge?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 18, 2021, 03:23:42 AM
Despite it being published in 1985, sadly, it's still so relevant these days.

How did you like it Sarge?

PD

"Like" isn't the right word. As a cautionary tale (similar to 1984) it is powerful, disturbing, scary. I'm glad to have read it. And you're right about it's relevancy; I'd go further: with the fundamentalist right supporting Trump, it's even more relevant today.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 18, 2021, 08:45:50 AM
"Like" isn't the right word. As a cautionary tale (similar to 1984) it is powerful, disturbing, scary. I'm glad to have read it. And you're right about it's relevancy; I'd go further: with the fundamentalist right supporting Trump, it's even more relevant today.

Sarge

It was said of 1984, that it failed as prophecy, because it succeeded as a warning. (Has it?)  We shall see into which category the Atwood winds up fitting.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André Le Nôtre

Quote from: Mandryka on May 16, 2021, 12:23:49 AM
I tend not to read much in English any more, partly because I'm keen to improve my French. ...

I am keen to improve my French too, but with only 1.5 years under my belt (about 30 mins per day), this book (which I actually own) is more my speed:

Old San Antone

Sarge

Maybe the news is slow to reach Germany, but Trump is no longer president.  We now have some guy named Biden. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Sarge
Pardon, but I had meant that in terms of "Did you appreciate it?  Enjoy her writing style and plot?  Her characters, etc. What she was addressing and how she went about it?  And her thoughts on women's rights in society."

Quote from: Old San Antone on May 18, 2021, 12:53:25 PM
Maybe the news is slow to reach Germany, but Trump is no longer president.  We now have some guy named Biden. 
Yeah, but 'States' Rights' can carry scary implications in terms of legislations.  And the Supreme Court is on the plus side conservative.....but who knows how they will vote.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Old San Antone on May 18, 2021, 12:53:25 PM

And, as the man said, the fundamentalist right continues to support Trump in The Big Lie,
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Old San Antone

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 18, 2021, 03:33:21 PM
And, as the man said, the fundamentalist right continues to support Trump in The Big Lie,

I don't see the connection between these Trump posts and Contemporary Novelists.