1 (6.3%)
Definitely Non-Romantic
1 (6.3%)
Anti-Romantic
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2021, 01:18:24 PM
Also, if Steve was offended by anything I wrote to him, then I'll gladly apologize. I know I can be abrasive sometimes, but when people who are passionate about something that is well beyond them, they are bound to make assertions that cut a bit along the way. If you love this music, then none of us are free of saying such things.

I'm not offended; I found out something about why I enjoy some styles of music more than others.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mandryka on May 17, 2021, 10:15:35 AM
Have you heard Scriabin's sonatas 9 and 10?

They seem OK although this artwork suggests a lot more to me than a piano piece. :-\

Mandryka

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 17, 2021, 09:30:11 PM
They seem OK although this artwork suggests a lot more to me than a piano piece. :-\

If find the later music really unsettling, and not in a good way, I always regret listening to it. The earlier Chopin like music is, IMO, utterly uninteresting apart from one rather beautiful op 9/2 nocturne, which is cute.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

amw

Quote from: Mandryka on May 18, 2021, 12:16:39 AM
If find the later music really unsettling, and not in a good way, I always regret listening to it. The earlier Chopin like music is, IMO, utterly uninteresting apart from one rather beautiful op 9/2 nocturne, which is cute.
I enjoy most of Scriabin's piano music but even in the late works I wouldn't call it romantic necessarily. There's a lot of exact repetition of melodies and phrases and even lengthy sections, sometimes simply transposed slightly. He went out of his way to try to impose classical structures on his material, no matter how "synthetic" it was, and was very concerned with symmetry and form etc. He's a classicist basically, a formalist in the non-derogatory sense of the term. Maybe it's for that reason that I've always preferred the piano music of Roslavets and the criminally under-recorded Wyschnegradsky (whose problem is clearly that he decided to romanize his name that way, but writing for quarter tone pianos probably didn't help). By comparison Scriabin 10 feels a lot like a long, slow Scarlatti sonata. (I like Scarlatti sonatas too.)

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on May 18, 2021, 05:15:22 AM
I enjoy most of Scriabin's piano music but even in the late works I wouldn't call it romantic necessarily. There's a lot of exact repetition of melodies and phrases and even lengthy sections, sometimes simply transposed slightly. He went out of his way to try to impose classical structures on his material, no matter how "synthetic" it was, and was very concerned with symmetry and form etc. He's a classicist basically, a formalist in the non-derogatory sense of the term. Maybe it's for that reason that I've always preferred the piano music of Roslavets and the criminally under-recorded Wyschnegradsky (whose problem is clearly that he decided to romanize his name that way, but writing for quarter tone pianos probably didn't help). By comparison Scriabin 10 feels a lot like a long, slow Scarlatti sonata. (I like Scarlatti sonatas too.)

Sure but we were not working with formal concepts of romanticism, classicism. Andrei quoted some definitions from Novalis, which I thought was only dubiously useful really, and Steve wants a feeling close, maybe, to Kant's sublime.

Mandryka

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 17, 2021, 09:30:11 PM

I just noticed the sexy lady on that cover and there is indeed something sexy about some of Scriabin -- unless it's just me being pervy. This for example

https://www.youtube.com/v/oqEBPghkP1M&ab_channel=ProPianoRecordsOfficialChannelProPianoRecordsOfficialChannel

steve ridgway

So, whatever type of music produces the feeling in each individual, we have learnt that the majority of respondents identify with some form of "Romanticism" as a psychological disposition. :)

greg

Quote from: Mandryka on May 18, 2021, 06:47:42 AM
and there is indeed something sexy about some of Scriabin -- unless it's just me being pervy.
Nah man, I've always felt that way about Scriabin, not just you. Probably the most sensual music out there, depending on the piece.

Until I found this music, which is the clearest winner in that department:  0:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFld_03nMks&list=OLAK5uy_mXaswgQxpTwXlXP4vQxjltafDemQJbaaw

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Karl Henning

Well, Schoenberg & Berg are of sufficient importance to me, that I cannot vote either "Definitely Not Romantic" or "Anti-Romantic." And Stravinsky, e.g. is of suff. imp. to me that it becomes a coin-toss whether I vote "Somehow Romantic" or "Somehow non-Romantic," and I feel no need to toss the coin.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot