Liminal Spaces

Started by greg, May 27, 2021, 02:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Anyone get into these? And have any thoughts about them?

Here are a few favorites:
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

greg

greg

Brahmsian

The long hallway reminds me of The Overlook Hotel in The Shining.

greg

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 27, 2021, 02:22:09 PM
It sure does!

It's cool that this liminal thing has caught on online, I've fantasized about visiting malls at night, with no one else inside, especially in a world where there's nothing but black space on the edges. Maybe in a Barnes and Noble, and then just read stuff for a few weeks and then go back to the real world eventually.  ;D

71 dB

Quote from: greg on May 27, 2021, 02:02:21 PM
Anyone get into these? And have any thoughts about them?

Yes, a year ago. First the found the video game "Superliminal" on Youtube and then Liminal Spaces. Helped me to cope with the anxiety caused by the pandemic. I like this kind of stuff, because is it so introvert in nature. The strong feeling these images create is so fully generated in our inner mind. Because my personality type is INTJ, I have a rich inner world inside my head and I have had liminal space-like images (and sounds) in my head for decades (such as images of my high school empty, but echoing eerily the sounds of pupils after the school day). David Lynch uses liminal spaces-type of aesthetics in his works imo.

To my knowledge the power of these liminal spaces comes from the lack of context and we humans need context in everything so if there isn't any, our mind generates it for us and the result is the typical strange mixture of sadness, nostalgia and terror which we we actually "like" perhaps because the world in so full of audiovisual stimulus. Almost nothing makes us feel anything, so when these liminal spaces make us feel surprisingly strongly we at thrilled about it.  $:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

toledobass

Check out the Tibetan concept of the Bardo!

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Cato

Quote from: toledobass on May 28, 2021, 01:15:13 PM

Allan!   Great to see you here!

Quote from: Mandryka on May 28, 2021, 01:27:38 PM

That David Lynch picture above might qualify as a tangible example of the TIbetan Bardo!

Another interpretation:

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

André Le Nôtre

Hihroshi Sugimoto: https://www.sugimotohiroshi.com

Michael Kenna: https://michaelkenna.com

Also, check ECM covers if you have not already. These are some of my favorites in this style.

André Le Nôtre

If you sift through the thousands of photos by Eugène Atget in the MOMA collection, you will find many magnificent examples from Le Nôtre's parks: Versailles, St. Cloud, Tulleries, Sceaux--but also elsewhere in and near Paris. https://www.moma.org/artists/229?=undefined&page=25&direction=fwd

JBS

For those on Twitter, there is an account devoted to this sort of photo. Named of course Liminal Spaces.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Iota

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 27, 2021, 02:22:09 PM

Haha, exactly the thought that sprang to my mind!

Quote from: Mandryka on May 28, 2021, 01:27:38 PM

Good one!

greg

Quote from: toledobass on May 28, 2021, 01:15:13 PM
QuoteIn some schools of Buddhism, bardo or antarābhava is an intermediate, transitional, or liminal state between death and rebirth.
Huh, sounds similar to the concept of purgatory.

Quote from: 71 dB on May 27, 2021, 05:54:10 PM
Yes, a year ago. First the found the video game "Superliminal" on Youtube and then Liminal Spaces.
Never heard of that one.
There's a game I just discovered last night called "NaissancE" which is based off a manga named "Blame!" which has a wild-looking world in this style... considering playing it soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvmfKPtQn1E&t=2519s

Also SMT 3: Nocturne... definitely gave me liminal space vibes. Normally in JRPG's you have a group of friends you do your adventuring with. But in this game, the world is post apocalyptic, and all the malls, subways, etc. are empty and only sparsely filled with demons, no humans. Every review I have seen has mentioned that it feels very lonely. In fact, the entire game world itself is liminal because it is dead, but also awaiting its rebirth based on whose ideals win (so like a transition period).

Quote from: 71 dB on May 27, 2021, 05:54:10 PM
I like this kind of stuff, because is it so introvert in nature. The strong feeling these images create is so fully generated in our inner mind. Because my personality type is INTJ, I have a rich inner world inside my head and I have had liminal space-like images (and sounds) in my head for decades (such as images of my high school empty, but echoing eerily the sounds of pupils after the school day).
For sure, you seem to me like someone who would be into something like this.

Sergeant Rock

Here are hree photos that might qualify. The first two: the main street of an Ohio village after midnight in 1970. The third is a museum space between galleries in Leipzig.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

71 dB

Quote from: greg on May 29, 2021, 08:50:26 AMNever heard of that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xCBxIZ2148

Quote from: greg on May 29, 2021, 08:50:26 AMThere's a game I just discovered last night called "NaissancE" which is based off a manga named "Blame!" which has a wild-looking world in this style... considering playing it soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvmfKPtQn1E&t=2519s

Looks wild.

Quote from: greg on May 29, 2021, 08:50:26 AMAlso SMT 3: Nocturne... definitely gave me liminal space vibes. Normally in JRPG's you have a group of friends you do your adventuring with. But in this game, the world is post apocalyptic, and all the malls, subways, etc. are empty and only sparsely filled with demons, no humans. Every review I have seen has mentioned that it feels very lonely. In fact, the entire game world itself is liminal because it is dead, but also awaiting its rebirth based on whose ideals win (so like a transition period).

I don't play video games myself and I don't know much about them, but I do like to watch other people play audiovisually interesting games. Gab Smolders is one Youtuber I have watched in this regard.

Quote from: greg on May 29, 2021, 08:50:26 AMFor sure, you seem to me like someone who would be into something like this.

I'll take this as a compliment so thanks!  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Cato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 29, 2021, 09:45:04 AM
Here are three photos that might qualify. The first two: the main street of an Ohio village after midnight in 1970.

Sarge

Sarge: did you take those pictures?!  Excellent!

Here is a famous Liminal Space:

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Cato on May 29, 2021, 02:22:10 PM
Sarge: did you take those pictures?!  Excellent!

Yes. I borrowed a friend's Canon FT to take some pictures of my girlfriend. A few days later, coming home from a drive-in movie, we noticed how deserted and spooky the town was. I still had the camera and decided to photograph the street.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

greg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 29, 2021, 09:45:04 AM
Here are hree photos that might qualify. The first two: the main street of an Ohio village after midnight in 1970. The third is a museum space between galleries in Leipzig.
Yeah, they do qualify and are very nice!  :)