Shostakovich / Barshai recordings

Started by 5against4, May 28, 2021, 06:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5against4

Hi everyone. i'm currently working my way through the Brilliant Classics Shostakovich Symphonies box set with Barshai and the WDR Symphony Orchestra - this one:

and i'm wondering whether these were ever released individually? Usually these box sets compile a load of individual releases but i've only been able to find mentions of No. 4, Nos. 5 & 6 (released together), No. 7 and No. 13 - nothing about the any of the rest.

Does anyone know if these had an earlier life on other labels before being compiled by Brilliant Classics?

Incidentally, to anyone wondering about whether or not to take the plunge with this box set - go for it. i'm halfway through and several of the performances are easily among the best - if not the best - that i've heard.

Mirror Image

This thread definitely needs to be moved to the 'Great Recordings and Reviews' section of the forum. To answer 5against4's question, I do not believe these Shostakovich Barshai recordings were recorded previously for any other label, but were recorded/released under Brilliant Classics. They weren't available individually until several years after the release of the Brilliant Classics set, which labels like Alto and Regis started making them available and even here not all of the symphonies were released. To be honest, I believe Barshai to be quite good, but he's not a favorite of mine. My favorite cycles are Kondrashin, Haitink and Rozhdestvensky, but there are many individual performances out there that fabulous.

5against4

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 28, 2021, 06:18:17 AM
This thread definitely needs to be moved to the 'Great Recordings and Reviews' section of the forum.

Apologies! i haven't posted here often, so i'm sorry if i went down the wrong avenue. i hope the mods will reposition this as appropriate!

I do not believe these Shostakovich Barshai recordings were recorded previously for any other label, but were recorded/released under Brilliant Classics. They weren't available individually until several years after the release of the Brilliant Classics set, which labels like Alto and Regis started making them available and even here not all of the symphonies were released.

Ah, this is interesting, i hadn't thought of that. That being the case, i guess considering the relative cheapness of the box set, releasing them all individually after the box wouldn't make a great deal of financial sense, so it's curious that a few of them have actually been put out on their own.

Brahmsian

Quote from: 5against4 on May 28, 2021, 06:22:46 AM
Apologies! i haven't posted here often, so i'm sorry if i went down the wrong avenue. i hope the mods will reposition this as appropriate!

Ah, this is interesting, i hadn't thought of that. That being the case, i guess considering the relative cheapness of the box set, releasing them all individually after the box wouldn't make a great deal of financial sense, so it's curious that a few of them have actually been put out on their own.

I think the Barshai set is a fabulous one.  I'm very happy with mine.  :)

MusicTurner

Agree.

Unfortunately, the Barshai set of five Chamber Symphonies by Shosty etc., also on Brilliant, with a Milano orchestra, on 2CDs, is disappointing, IMO.

Sample it thoroughly before buying.

5against4

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 28, 2021, 06:26:31 AM
I think the Barshai set is a fabulous one.  I'm very happy with mine.  :)

Me too - i'm especially happy as i picked it up, still sealed, from someone on eBay for a mere £9!  ;D

Brahmsian

Quote from: 5against4 on May 28, 2021, 06:35:02 AM
Me too - i'm especially happy as i picked it up, still sealed, from someone on eBay for a mere £9!  ;D

Well, that is indeed a win win on all counts!!  :)

Roasted Swan

For what its worth - I think the Babi Yar in this set is one of the vey finest versions available.  I'd agree that the "companion" set of the Chamber Symphonies is a big disappointment.  On a slight tangent - my feelings for Barshai is always tainted by the story/allegation that in the original Borodin String Quartet he was the KGB informant!

Brahmsian

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 28, 2021, 07:02:43 AM
For what its worth - I think the Babi Yar in this set is one of the vey finest versions available.

Oh yes, it is a great performance!  :)

MusicTurner

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 28, 2021, 07:02:43 AM
For what its worth - I think the Babi Yar in this set is one of the vey finest versions available.  I'd agree that the "companion" set of the Chamber Symphonies is a big disappointment.  On a slight tangent - my feelings for Barshai is always tainted by the story/allegation that in the original Borodin String Quartet he was the KGB informant!

??? Hadn't heard that one ???

Of course, he did many recordings in the USSR LP days, including conducting a fine set of Mozart symphonies and an orchestral 'Kunst der Fuge', both very good.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 28, 2021, 07:26:06 AM
??? Hadn't heard that one ???

Of course, he did many recordings in the USSR LP days, including conducting a fine set of Mozart symphonies and an orchestral 'Kunst der Fuge', both very good.

The story is related in this book.....

which is a fascinating read.  Dubinsky of course was the original first violin in the Borodins and went on to lead the Borodin Piano Trio with his wife Luba Edlina on piano

MusicTurner

Ok, thank you. I thought Barshai was on good terms with Shosty and Lokshin, but maybe they were mainly professional relations then.

5against4

My favorite cycles are Kondrashin, Haitink and Rozhdestvensky, but there are many individual performances out there that fabulous.

i meant to say, thanks for flagging up these cycles. i've had all the Haitink recordings for many years, and love them to bits, but i haven't checked out Kondrashin or Rozhdestvensky. i'll add them to the list for future investigation...

Roasted Swan

Quote from: 5against4 on May 28, 2021, 07:44:49 AM
i meant to say, thanks for flagging up these cycles. i've had all the Haitink recordings for many years, and love them to bits, but i haven't checked out Kondrashin or Rozhdestvensky. i'll add them to the list for future investigation...

The Kondrashin cycle is a must - blistering performances in typical soviet-style sound (orchestrally and in terms of the actual recording).  For me the musical glories of the Rozhdestvensky ctylce are compromised by awful spotlit recordings - but I've still got them all and love them!  The recent Sladkovsky is a good "old-soviet-style" approach but in good sound.....

5against4

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 28, 2021, 08:20:25 AM
The Kondrashin cycle is a must - blistering performances in typical soviet-style sound (orchestrally and in terms of the actual recording).

Hmm, looks like getting hold of a physical copy of the Kondrashin cycle might be difficult! Will have to start trawling around...!

MusicTurner

Indeed, Kondrashin's is in urgent need of a budget release ...

vandermolen

Quote from: 5against4 on May 28, 2021, 06:10:35 AM
Hi everyone. i'm currently working my way through the Brilliant Classics Shostakovich Symphonies box set with Barshai and the WDR Symphony Orchestra - this one:

and i'm wondering whether these were ever released individually? Usually these box sets compile a load of individual releases but i've only been able to find mentions of No. 4, Nos. 5 & 6 (released together), No. 7 and No. 13 - nothing about the any of the rest.

Does anyone know if these had an earlier life on other labels before being compiled by Brilliant Classics?

Incidentally, to anyone wondering about whether or not to take the plunge with this box set - go for it. i'm halfway through and several of the performances are easily among the best - if not the best - that i've heard.
No.4 certainly was (on Regis and Alto):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).