Where do you find new to you music?

Started by stingo, June 02, 2021, 05:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stingo

As the subject asks - where do you discover music previously unknown to you? Posting in The Diner because I mean all music, not just classical.

For me, NPR's music podcasts, last.fm discord server (particularly #folk-and-country), strong songs discord server, and SiriusXM are my frontrunners in this regard. What are yours?

Edited to add: bandcamp - bandcamp daily and music feed suggestions.

foxandpeng

Quote from: stingo on June 02, 2021, 05:31:29 AM
As the subject asks - where do you discover music previously unknown to you? Posting in The Diner because I mean all music, not just classical.

For me, NPR's music podcasts, last.fm discord server (particularly #folk-and-country), strong songs discord server, and SiriusXM are my frontrunners in this regard. What are yours?

Endless Spotify based on recommendations here and in a couple of other forums, and blind listening from record company releases based on previous loves and interests. Non-classical? Probably very similar. As a primary metalhead, we listen to a shedload of cacophanous releases from bands we've seen live and from friends that we know. Like most people here, we have hundreds in the listening list.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

steve ridgway

For "Classical" I'm finding new composers from The Cambridge History of Twentieth-Century Music, mentions of other composers in Wikipedia and composer discussions here, the Avant Garde Project and other uploads on archive.org by people who uploaded stuff I like.

For non-classical, random sampling of archive.org "Netlabels" and genres, Krautrock-World, Radio Caprice - Krautrock and Echoes Of Bluemars internet radio streams, and before that the Krautrocksampler book and 30 CD compilation Krautrock (Music For Your Brain) volumes 1-5.

Daverz

For pop/rock, try Radio Paradise:

https://radioparadise.com/player

For classical, Naxos, CPO, Toccata Classics, Sterling, Timpani, Chandos, and other labels seem to generate a steady supply of music from "Who is that?" composers.