George Crumb (1929-2022)

Started by snyprrr, March 12, 2009, 08:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on September 03, 2016, 10:57:17 AM
I heard "Ancient Voices of Children" some years ago at a CSO concert, conducted by Mehta. I was impressed by the piece, partly because of the spatial elements which don't come off too well in recording.

The second half of the program was Bruckner's 4th Symphony. It was one of the most strangely put-together concert programs I have seen. First half, handful of musicians wandering about the stage, making funny noises. Second half, big romantic symphony.

I also have the Nonesuch recording of it, and the one of "Music for a Summer Evening." I enjoy the latter as a piece of mood music but don't come back to it too often.

Two pieces of Crumb I have on record, I like them both very much.

snyprrr

OK, I'll give Makro 3 and 4 another try...

WHO??

Mandryka

Quote from: lescamil on July 01, 2011, 09:10:09 PM
the Makrokosmos cycle 5 of the most significant masterpieces of the 20th century.

Is there a Makrokosmos Cycle 5? (I can only find 4)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mandryka on April 06, 2019, 01:04:24 AM

Only 4, I've never seen, or heard of a 5th before.

North Star

Quote from: Mandryka on April 06, 2019, 01:04:24 AM
The four and Black Angels number 5 together, though.  :)

Quote from: lescamil on July 01, 2011, 09:10:09 PM
What? Crumb certainly has masterpieces! I would call Black Angels and the Makrokosmos cycle 5 of the most significant masterpieces of the 20th century. His music may not be as deep as other "masters" but there is so much more to his music that conventional musical development (which he is not big on, really) that makes his music great. His exploration of timbre and sound in general influenced an entire generations of not only classical composers, but musicians in many genres.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

Quote from: North Star on April 06, 2019, 12:15:56 PM

Ahhh, I see!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: North Star on April 06, 2019, 12:15:56 PM

Good morning/day, Karlo.
I'm confused, are you, or lescamil, saying that Black Angels is considered the 5th Makrokosmos?

North Star

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 08, 2019, 03:04:50 AM
Good morning/day, Karlo.
I'm confused, are you, or lescamil, saying that Black Angels is considered the 5th Makrokosmos?
Good morning, Greg! No, I was trying to clarify that lescamil meant that the 4 cycles of Makrokosmos, as well as the Black Angels quartet are what he would call 5 of the most significant masterpieces of the 20th century.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: North Star on April 08, 2019, 05:17:53 AM
Good morning, Greg! No, I was trying to clarify that lescamil meant that the 4 cycles of Makrokosmos, as well as the Black Angels quartet are what he would call 5 of the most significant masterpieces of the  20th century.

Thanks, friend. I don't know why I was having trouble with that  ;D
I even went as far as to search the web for Makrokosmos 5!

Curious as to what you Crumbers (Crumb Fans) find to be his best work(s). Black Angels is always near or at the top of the list, mostly because it was my intro to Crumb. Ancient Voices and Quest are two others I absolutely adore. Let me think a bit more and I'll make a nifty little list.

Mirror Image

Thought I would revive this thread. I received all of the Crumb Bridge recordings today (bought all of them via Bridge's website) and I'm really looking forward to digging into this interesting composer's oeuvre.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 16, 2020, 11:57:02 AM
Thought I would revive this thread. I received all of the Crumb Bridge recordings today (bought all of them via Bridge's website) and I'm really looking forward to digging into this interesting composer's oeuvre.

Hey, John. I have most of the Bridge series discs and they are fantastic. So much great music to discover.
I hope you enjoy!

bhodges

From Bridge just now, this sad press release:

Grammy and Pulitzer award winning composer George Crumb (1929-2022) passed away on February 6, 2022, at age 92, at his Media, PA home.  His wife Elizabeth and sons David and Peter were at his side. Dr. Crumb was preceded in death by his daughter Ann Crumb.

--Bruce

ritter

A great loss! I don't know that much of his music, but what I do know I've always found interesting. Star Child and Night of the Four Moons are two works that really impressed me... A very personal and strong voice.

R.I.P. George Crumb:(

vers la flamme

RIP. I'll have to check out some of his music soon. Only thing I've heard was Madrigals, which I really liked.

T. D.

RIP, really sad news.

I enjoy Crumb's music, have a number of recordings, but prefer to attend live concerts because there's often a ritual/theatrical element that doesn't come across on recordings.
A sparsely attended performance of Eleven Echoes of Autumn 1965 at an Upper West Side church is (surprisingly) one of my most magical concert experiences.
This piece has a beautiful score (Crumb trademark) that you can see on the Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpzcKIKv78w

I also saw Crumb and David Starobin perform the humorous Mundus Canis (among other pieces) at Manhattan School of Music. And Margaret Leng Tan play Makrokosmos I and II at Carnegie Hall (Zankel recital hall).