UEFA Euro 2020

Started by Irons, June 12, 2021, 05:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

It was a wait but at last the tournament kicked off with Italy playing Turkey at Rome's Stadio Olimpico, with prior to KO Andrea Bocelli singing Nessun Dorma in the middle of the pitch and a young lady sweeping down from the sky supposedly supported by balloons followed by a firework display. It sounds naff but believe me it wasn't, instead a jaw dropping spectacle of the first order.

The UEFA come into a lot of deserved criticism but credit due in making the best of a Covid situation and setting the tournament in the best stadiums from the far corners of Europe. I predict this will be a big success.

By the way France will win it!   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

DaveF

Quote from: Irons on June 12, 2021, 05:03:25 AM

The BBC did a not terribly serious study, based on, among other factors, performance in qualifying, past wins and location of matches and came to the same conclusion.

Half-time at the moment in Wales v Switzerland - we are terrible (although have had the best chance), Switzerland very good but wasteful in front of goal.  Not comfortable watching so far.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

steve ridgway

Having grown up in Northamptonshire I have no interest in football but I hope you both enjoy the competition. :)

Irons

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 12, 2021, 08:38:36 AM
Having grown up in Northamptonshire I have no interest in football but I hope you both enjoy the competition. :)

At the old West Ham stadium (Boleyn) a few seats down our row a father and daughter travelled from Northampton to every home game.

Due to family commitments I missed the Denmark game. Hope and prey Christian Ericksen makes a full recovery although his playing career is surely over. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

MusicTurner

Probably, but actually some named elite players experiencing that are still playing. The game itself was not very good.

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on June 13, 2021, 12:39:23 AM
Probably, but actually some named elite players experiencing that are still playing. The game itself was not very good.

The same thing occurred nine years ago at a Spurs v Bolton game. A Bolton player "died" on the pitch. He survived, in fact sent a message to Erickson yesterday. He never played again.

Irons

Enjoyed Scotland v Czech Republic hard fought game. Class told in the end and the Czech second goal scored from the halfway line must be the goal of the tournament no matter what comes further down the line.

vandermolen

I seem to have started an alternative thread  - so, please ignore (which everyone has anyway  ;D)
Here is my original post:

I was pleasantly surprised to watch England beat Croatia 1-0 this afternoon, although everything has been rather overshadowed by one of the Danish team (Christian Eriksen) collapsing on the pitch, during their match with Finland, and having to be resuscitated following an apparent heart attack. Thank goodness he has survived. Whilst this terrible event was going on on the pitch it was moving to see the other Danish team members forming a protective ring around Eriksen and both the Danish and Finnish fans chanting his name. Football can often bring out the worst in human nature (sadly often involving England fans), but this demonstrated the best.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 15, 2021, 06:22:44 AM
I seem to have started an alternative thread  - so, please ignore (which everyone has anyway  ;D)
Here is my original post:

I was pleasantly surprised to watch England beat Croatia 1-0 this afternoon, although everything has been rather overshadowed by one of the Danish team (Christian Eriksen) collapsing on the pitch, during their match with Finland, and having to be resuscitated following an apparent heart attack. Thank goodness he has survived. Whilst this terrible event was going on on the pitch it was moving to see the other Danish team members forming a protective ring around Eriksen and both the Danish and Finnish fans chanting his name. Football can often bring out the worst in human nature (sadly often involving England fans), but this demonstrated the best.

I did not watch the match but there has been some controversy of the BBC coverage of Eriksen's collapse. I understand the excellent pundit Ian Wright who was covering the game was angry at images being televised and said "move to studio FFS!". The BBC later claimed they had no control over what was televised as it is shared from source over Europe. I thought it odd but accepted this as true. Listening to a West Ham podcast today an Irish Hammer who lives in Denmark said the coverage was cut on Danish TV immediately it was realised a distressing event was occurring. It should not need the Danish players to make a human shield to protect Eriksen from the prying eyes of the world.   

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 15, 2021, 06:56:49 AM
I did not watch the match but there has been some controversy of the BBC coverage of Eriksen's collapse. I understand the excellent pundit Ian Wright who was covering the game was angry at images being televised and said "move to studio FFS!". The BBC later claimed they had no control over what was televised as it is shared from source over Europe. I thought it odd but accepted this as true. Listening to a West Ham podcast today an Irish Hammer who lives in Denmark said the coverage was cut on Danish TV immediately it was realised a distressing event was occurring. It should not need the Danish players to make a human shield to protect Eriksen from the prying eyes of the world.
V good point Lol.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Apparently UEFA is in charge and controlling the international television signal.

Curiously, I watch some of the games on Swedish TV4, at times there are better commentators there than on Danish TV, and the signal is about 20 seconds or so delayed there.
Some games can only be seen at an extra cost in Denmark, or if I had more channels in my TV packet, but luckily, one is usually able to find them on various Swedish and Norwegian channels, already included in that packet.

Irons

Germany huffed and puffed but once France scored - or rather Germany did ;D - game over. Strange coming together between Rudiger and Pogba, either Rudiger was attempting to take a bite or engage in foreplay. Whichever, Pogba did not like it! They both had a cuddle at the final whistle so all forgiven.

Irons

Quote from: DaveF on June 12, 2021, 05:55:37 AM

Half-time at the moment in Wales v Switzerland - we are terrible (although have had the best chance), Switzerland very good but wasteful in front of goal.  Not comfortable watching so far.

Turkey v Wales the most exciting game thus far. I thought Wales were outstanding with Bales and Ramsey pure class - just don't mention the penalty! ???

DaveF

Quote from: Irons on June 16, 2021, 01:13:12 PM
just don't mention the penalty! ???

Aaargh, that penalty!  Well, it was a pretty soft one, anyway - not sure it was (a) a foul or (b) inside the box.  But who needs penalties?  Nul points to Turkey, I thought, having watched Bale try that cheeky run along the goal-line from the previous corner and not realising he might try it again.  But yes, great match - not quite up to our demolition of Belgium in 2016, but we're getting there.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Irons

Andrea Bocelli opening ceremony. Stunning!

https://youtu.be/j0sTVZMFUfY

vandermolen

Well done Switzerland! Great game, as was Croatia v Spain.

I'm sure that England will have no trouble brushing Germany aside tomorrow night HAHAHA  ::)

Papy Oli

Not the result I would have liked but very well played Switzerland and well deserved. An actual team wanted it more and beat a bunch of individual players this evening.

Adieu  :laugh:

PS: Guess I have to support England now  ;D
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 28, 2021, 02:22:47 PM
Not the result I would have liked but very well played Switzerland and well deserved. An actual team wanted it more and beat a bunch of individual players this evening.

Adieu  :laugh:

PS: Guess I have to support England now  ;D

Oh, it's come to that has it Olivier!  ;D

I think that France have great individual players but the Swiss played more as a team tonight.

Irons

Quote from: Irons on June 12, 2021, 05:03:25 AM

Shows how much I know!

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on June 28, 2021, 04:01:36 PM
Oh, it's come to that has it Olivier! ;D

at a push  :laugh:

Quote from: Irons on June 29, 2021, 12:25:56 AM
Shows how much I know!

Oh that beautiful game and its uncertainties  :'(   ;)
Olivier