UEFA Euro 2020

Started by Irons, June 12, 2021, 05:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Sorry to see Switzerland go out today. I have greatly enjoyed watching them and felt very sorry for their young player who was so distraught after blasting his penalty over the bar. I hope that they get a warm reception on their return to Switzerland.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 02, 2021, 11:19:50 AM
Sorry to see Switzerland go out today. I have greatly enjoyed watching them and felt very sorry for their young player who was so distraught after blasting his penalty over the bar. I hope that they get a warm reception on their return to Switzerland.

It will always be there. Southgate missed one in '96 and he has been reminded of the fact more then once over the last couple of weeks by commentators.

Italy very impressive last night. Lorenzo Insigne is one fabulous player. The young Belgium winger also caught my eye, he is about the fastest thing I have seen on two legs!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Forgive the musical theme:

Kiril Karabits, the excellent Ukrainian conductor, has said that the England team and fans (if there are any in Rome tonight) need a conductor on the pitch to ensure that the singing of 'God Save the Queen' does not go horribly wrong (out of sequence/out of tune), as it usually does.
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 03, 2021, 08:14:08 AM
Forgive the musical theme:

Kiril Karabits, the excellent Ukrainian conductor, has said that the England team and fans (if there are any in Rome tonight) need a conductor on the pitch to ensure that the singing of 'God Save the Queen' does not go horribly wrong (out of sequence/out of tune), as it usually does.
8)
:laugh:  :)

When does England play next?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 03, 2021, 08:22:58 AM
:laugh:  :)

When does England play next?

PD

Tonight 8.00 PM UK time PD - you're about 5 hours behind I think (depending on where you are in the USA).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 03, 2021, 08:34:57 AM
Tonight 8.00 PM UK time PD - you're about 5 hours behind I think (depending on where you are in the USA).
Thanks!  I suspect that I'll have to check into the highlights reel later then.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 03, 2021, 08:38:19 AM
Thanks!  I suspect that I'll have to check into the highlights reel later then.

PD

My recently married daughter worked for the charity Medecins sans Frontieres in Eastern Ukraine for about 15 months and has many Ukrainian friends - so she will be rather torn in her allegiances this evening. We had a fascinating trip to visit her in the beautiful city of Kyiv (taking my 80+ year old mother-in-law on the Kyiv Metro was quite an experience!).

Florestan

Go, Ukraine!

Otherwise I changed my allegiance from Spain, which had an unexpectedly hard time with Switzerland, to Italy, the most complete team, excellent in all departments, attack, half and defence and a magic goalkeeper. They'll probably win --- and deservedly so.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

Yes, Spain was disappointing and I wanted the Swiss to win. Belgium also with its perennial problem, not being able to score. Italy was clearly superior and they play more offensive than they used to in former times. They must count as clear favorites now, I think. Denmark had one good half today and Czechia a good 10 min. at the beginning of the second half but the remainder was rather poor. I would not exclude another surprise (as Denmark has been known for them in former years) but England - Italy will be the probable final.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on July 03, 2021, 10:45:21 AM
Go, Ukraine!

Otherwise I changed my allegiance from Spain, which had an unexpectedly hard time with Switzerland, to Italy, the most complete team, excellent in all departments, attack, half and defence and a magic goalkeeper. They'll probably win --- and deservedly so.
¡Chaquetero! >:(

Good evening to you, Andrei:)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on July 03, 2021, 11:26:42 AM
¡Chaquetero! >:(

Good evening to you, Andrei:)

To you too, Rafael.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on July 03, 2021, 11:25:10 AM
England - Italy will be the probable final.

Indeed --- Forza Italia!

vandermolen

I thought that Ukraine were poor today (possibly exhausted by their previous match) and this may lull England into a false sense of security. Denmark and especially Spain or Italy will not be so easy to defeat. In may ways I did not enjoy the one-sided game despite England's victory. Apart from having to defeat Germany, England have had a comparatively easy route through to this stage.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 03, 2021, 01:40:26 PM
I thought that Ukraine were poor today (possibly exhausted by their previous match) and this may lull England into a false sense of security. Denmark and especially Spain or Italy will not be so easy to defeat. In may ways I did not enjoy the one-sided game despite England's victory. Apart from having to defeat Germany, England have had a comparatively easy route through to this stage.

I very much agree, Jeffrey. A supreme effort by Ukraine in the last round, so much so the tank was on empty. Conceding a goal in the opening minutes turned all tactical planning for the game to dust.
Scotland proved more difficult then a poor Germany. The British press are way OTT this morning, Southgate has moulded a good unit but Italy are lying in wait and they are excellent. Not forgetting Denmark of course. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 03, 2021, 08:41:49 AM
My recently married daughter worked for the charity Medecins sans Frontieres in Eastern Ukraine for about 15 months and has many Ukrainian friends - so she will be rather torn in her allegiances this evening. We had a fascinating trip to visit her in the beautiful city of Kyiv (taking my 80+ year old mother-in-law on the Kyiv Metro was quite an experience!).
Oh, wow Jeffrey!  What sort of medical background does she have?  And I imagine that that would have been quite a special trip for you and your family to visit her.  Would love to hear her stories of what life was like there, the conditions and the people that she met....and of course (you know me)...the food and the culture(s).

No football watching for me yesterday...busy running around doing errands--with some quick time outs to watch Federer play Norrie.  No tennis there today; however, that will change next year.

PD

p.s.  So, if I'm reading their website correctly, England, Spain, Italy and Denmark are currently left standing?
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 04, 2021, 03:07:54 AM
Oh, wow Jeffrey!  What sort of medical background does she have?  And I imagine that that would have been quite a special trip for you and your family to visit her.  Would love to hear her stories of what life was like there, the conditions and the people that she met....and of course (you know me)...the food and the culture(s).

No football watching for me yesterday...busy running around doing errands--with some quick time outs to watch Federer play Norrie.  No tennis there today; however, that will change next year.

PD

p.s.  So, if I'm reading their website correctly, England, Spain, Italy and Denmark are currently left standing?
Hi PD,
Yes, that's right about the Euros.
OT
My daughter has no medical background but is a trained journalist and was there to publicise the work of MSF - it was a fascinating experience for her but her time in the troubled region of Eastern Ukraine was worrying for her mother and myself as she could hear gunfire and explosions in the distance. I had a rather difficult conversation with her before she went out there but we are obviously very proud of her. The country was beautiful, the people, on the whole, friendly and everything (taxis/restaurants) was incredibly cheap. I liked the food as well and seem to recall eating more meat than I do at home (daughter is vegan/wife vegetarian). Can't remember exactly what but probably meatballs which I really like. Local beer was very nice. I'd strongly recommend a visit to Kyiv which is beautiful. We saw 'The Great Gate' as featured in Mussorgsky's 'Pictures at an Exhibition' and did a great cruse on the River Dnieper just before we returned home. The architecture and cathedrals are very impressive. There is a terrific military museum on the Dnieper with one of those giant sized soviet statues. So, strongly recommended.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 04, 2021, 01:29:05 AM
I very much agree, Jeffrey. A supreme effort by Ukraine in the last round, so much so the tank was on empty. Conceding a goal in the opening minutes turned all tactical planning for the game to dust.
Scotland proved more difficult then a poor Germany. The British press are way OTT this morning, Southgate has moulded a good unit but Italy are lying in wait and they are excellent. Not forgetting Denmark of course.
Yes, I dislike the triumphalism of it all Lol.

Herman

Quote from: vandermolen on July 04, 2021, 05:45:33 AM
Yes, I dislike the triumphalism of it all Lol.

I enjoyed the June 28th matches Spain - Croatia and France - Switzerland.

After that I got tired of it.

Hearing the comments on the English game, about the historical trauma that needed to be avenged, and then the godawful bullying of the crying German girl, whose grandfather, according to English fans, had murdered "Ann Frank"  -  I don't want to even get close to that kind of crap.

Englishmen used to pride themselves on their cool and fairmindedness.

Also one cannot help but think the live audiences of these games will be bringing back and spreading virus, which was about to be simmer down.

vandermolen

Quote from: Herman on July 05, 2021, 11:29:03 PM
I enjoyed the June 28th matches Spain - Croatia and France - Switzerland.

After that I got tired of it.

Hearing the comments on the English game, about the historical trauma that needed to be avenged, and then the godawful bullying of the crying German girl, whose grandfather, according to English fans, had murdered "Ann Frank"  -  I don't want to even get close to that kind of crap.

Englishmen used to pride themselves on their cool and fairmindedness.

Also one cannot help but think the live audiences of these games will be bringing back and spreading virus, which was about to be simmer down.

Very much agree with you. Switzerland v France was my favourite game so far and I'm sorry that the Swiss team went a bit to pieces during the penalty shoot-out in their last match as I'd like to have seen them progress further.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 04, 2021, 05:38:56 AM
Hi PD,
Yes, that's right about the Euros.
OT
My daughter has no medical background but is a trained journalist and was there to publicise the work of MSF - it was a fascinating experience for her but her time in the troubled region of Eastern Ukraine was worrying for her mother and myself as she could hear gunfire and explosions in the distance. I had a rather difficult conversation with her before she went out there but we are obviously very proud of her. The country was beautiful, the people, on the whole, friendly and everything (taxis/restaurants) was incredibly cheap. I liked the food as well and seem to recall eating more meat than I do at home (daughter is vegan/wife vegetarian). Can't remember exactly what but probably meatballs which I really like. Local beer was very nice. I'd strongly recommend a visit to Kyiv which is beautiful. We saw 'The Great Gate' as featured in Mussorgsky's 'Pictures at an Exhibition' and did a great cruse on the River Dnieper just before we returned home. The architecture and cathedrals are very impressive. There is a terrific military museum on the Dnieper with one of those giant sized soviet statues. So, strongly recommended.
Glad that you had a great trip!  And, yes, I could well imagine that you and your wife were concerned for her safety.  And to see that famous gate!  I'm envious!  And really want to try some Ukrainian food.  If she has any favorite recipes (and has a chance to share them with you), I'd love to see them over in the food thread.  ;D

So, Wednesday is the next match for England?  Any other matches today?  I should probably focus on more housework today (in between catching snatches of the women's quarters).  Weather will be turning hot and sticky again so I'm trying to do some cooking this morning:  beets currently steaming before it gets steamy.  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter