UEFA Euro 2020

Started by Irons, June 12, 2021, 05:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 24, 2022, 10:47:50 AM
Do you know what the reasoning is behind the countries who would not hire someone due to a pacemaker?  Are they afraid of liability?  I don't know what the risks are for a player in his condition and what could happen between all of the training and matches (and any other stresses in life)?  Would coaching, if possible, be a better option for him?

PD

Agree, for a lay-person it does seem a bit strange, given the background, but the medical recommendation must be well-founded somehow. Here, it's reported as if the last check shouldn't be much of a problem. Obviously, the guy's whole life has focused on being a player, and he's only 29. Contracts probably involve passages about responsibilities.

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 24, 2022, 11:14:21 AM
Agree, for a lay-person it does seem a bit strange, given the background, but the medical recommendation must be well-founded somehow. Here, it's reported as if the last check shouldn't be much of a problem. Obviously, the guy's whole life has focused on being a player, and he's only 29. Contracts probably involve passages about responsibilities.

Apparently there is a ruling in Italy prohibiting him playing there with his medical condition. Inter Milan, his club, will claim insurance so they will not lose out. He is an exceptional footballer. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 25, 2022, 07:39:54 AM
Apparently there is a ruling in Italy prohibiting him playing there with his medical condition. Inter Milan, his club, will claim insurance so they will not lose out. He is an exceptional footballer.
So, he gets to keep his agreed to amount and they get a settlement?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 25, 2022, 09:04:38 AM
So, he gets to keep his agreed to amount and they get a settlement?

PD

Inter paid the English club Spurs £17 million (just looked it up) for Erikson. Obviously such a large amount would be insured which is normal practice. His contract would be cancelled and he can sign up with any club he pleases.

I read just today that he "died" for five minutes. It is on YT, I was going to post a link and then thought better of it.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 26, 2022, 07:00:17 AM
Inter paid the English club Spurs £17 million (just looked it up) for Erikson. Obviously such a large amount would be insured which is normal practice. His contract would be cancelled and he can sign up with any club he pleases.

I read just today that he "died" for five minutes. It is on YT, I was going to post a link and then thought better of it.
Oh, I see what you're talking about now.  With the players, what sort of arrangement would be made for them?  Are they paid a seasonal/yearly amount or are payed per match?

I'm just used to how tennis works (to a certain degree at least).

And, yes, thank you for not posting that link!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 26, 2022, 07:07:30 AM
Oh, I see what you're talking about now.  With the players, what sort of arrangement would be made for them?  Are they paid a seasonal/yearly amount or are payed per match?

I'm just used to how tennis works (to a certain degree at least).

And, yes, thank you for not posting that link!

PD

Unlike tennis, footballers are paid a wage for the length of their contract. A Premier League player would expect to earn, depending how good he is and which club he plays for, anything between £20,000 and £200,000 a week.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 27, 2022, 12:35:35 AM
Unlike tennis, footballers are paid a wage for the length of their contract. A Premier League player would expect to earn, depending how good he is and which club he plays for, anything between £20,000 and £200,000 a week.
Thanks for the info; I knew that there was big money involved.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

News here are, that the Eriksen deal with Brentford is done, and it will be officially announced within two days or so; and that he passed the very thorough medical tests.
For a start, it will be a contract for 6 months, apparently.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 31, 2022, 02:23:25 AM
News here are, that the Eriksen deal with Brentford is done, and it will be officially announced within two days or so; and that he passed the very thorough medical tests.
For a start, it will be a contract for 6 months, apparently.
Hope that he remains in good health.  One can change jobs /careers (hard though it might be).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 31, 2022, 03:21:23 AM
Hope that he remains in good health.  One can change jobs /careers (hard though it might be).

PD

Yes, I guess we're all confused by such an extreme turn of events, in such a short time, but one would think that sufficient medical expertise has been involved ...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 31, 2022, 03:28:42 AM
Yes, I guess we're all confused by such an extreme turn of events, in such a short time, but one would think that sufficient medical expertise has been involved ...
Hopefully, though one thought that has crossed my mind:  Here in the States, when you go to a doctor, they have you sign a waiver stating that you know that medicine is an imperfect science, etc.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 31, 2022, 03:28:42 AM

A electronic thingy attached to regulate heartbeat apparently.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 31, 2022, 07:32:34 AM
A electronic thingy attached to regulate heartbeat apparently.  Been around for some years.  I suspect that they have made improvements to it over the years.
Yep!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Yes, it's called an ICD and has a computer with a range of measurements and possible actions. About 10,000 Danes are 'wearing' it, including a few elite sportsmen.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 31, 2022, 11:01:40 AM
Yes, it's called an ICD and has a computer with a range of measurements and possible actions. About 10,000 Danes are 'wearing' it, including a few elite sportsmen.
Interesting, I had to google what the difference was as I hadn't heard of an ICD before.  From what I read, an ICD is more of an emergency device as in just kicking in when it's needed vs. a pacemaker which is regular aid because the heart muscles can no longer function normally--that's the gist that I got out of it anyway.

"ICDs or Implantable cardioverter-defibrillators are small electrical impulse generator that is implanted in patients to prevent sudden cardiac death due to tachycardia or fibrillation. It is also battery-powered. The device constantly monitors heart rate and rhythm and sends out electrical shocks when it detects anomalies in the cardiac rhythm to correct it. Most ICDs are surgically implanted in a person, although a new subcutaneous ICD is now in development."

PD

p.s.  Are the "elite sportsmen" runners overall...or??  Just curious.
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 31, 2022, 11:11:03 AM
Interesting, I had to google what the difference was as I hadn't heard of an ICD before.  From what I read, an ICD is more of an emergency device as in just kicking in when it's needed vs. a pacemaker which is regular aid because the heart muscles can no longer function normally--that's the gist that I got out of it anyway.

"ICDs or Implantable cardioverter-defibrillators are small electrical impulse generator that is implanted in patients to prevent sudden cardiac death due to tachycardia or fibrillation. It is also battery-powered. The device constantly monitors heart rate and rhythm and sends out electrical shocks when it detects anomalies in the cardiac rhythm to correct it. Most ICDs are surgically implanted in a person, although a new subcutaneous ICD is now in development."

PD

p.s.  Are the "elite sportsmen" runners overall...or??  Just curious.

Yes, supposedly he hadn't had measurable heart differences before his one-time collapse, given his elite status and career.

There' been a world-famous female handball player/coach (Anja Andersen), a soccer coach here who played too (Ståle Solbakken), and others. They both became coaches afterwards, though, but that's also a tough job.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 31, 2022, 11:15:18 AM
Yes, supposedly he hadn't had measurable heart differences before his one-time collapse, given his elite status and career.

There' been a world-famous female handball player/coach (Anja Andersen), a soccer coach here who played too (Ståle Solbakken), and others. They both became coaches afterwards, though, but that's also a tough job.
I'm sure that it would be a hard switch emotionally to make--particularly if you're in your prime--not including figuring out how to coach others and also figuring out the legal, safety and logistic requirements...where to coach, how to become a member of an academy or work for a team, etc.  Just guessing at some of the hurdles here off the top of my head.  And also figuring out how to balance things with family, life, relationships too....how much time do you want to spend away from your home and on the road (if required)?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Yes, both did very well as elite coaches though.

MusicTurner

The afore-mentioned Eriksen did well in his come-back via the Premier League (Brentford), and he has now joined the Danish national team for their next game. A happy story so far.

Papy Oli

Quote from: MusicTurner on March 15, 2022, 10:24:28 AM
The afore-mentioned Eriksen did well in his come-back via the Premier League (Brentford), and he has now joined the Danish national team for their next game. A happy story so far.

Great news indeed.

He had a fantastic welcome when he first came on as a sub against Newcastle I think, applauded by the home crowd but also the Newcastle players and away supporters.

There was another quirky and lovely moment last week (or before) when Brentford played Norwich. Eriksen took a Norwich player down in a minor tumble. They both fell arms in arms on the ground. The Norwich player started to react angrily to the foul but when he looked up and realised who made him tumble, he suddenly had the widest beaming smile and decided to hug Ericksen on the floor.  He said in an interview that when he realised who had fouled him, he felt like Eriksen might need a hug  ;D

Video here :

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1501588052237553667

Olivier