Hello!

Started by absolutelybaching, June 15, 2021, 09:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

absolutelybaching

[deleted]

steve ridgway

Welcome to the forum. There are definitely a few mad Britten fans for you to talk to on here. ;)

Papy Oli

Hello and Welcome !
Olivier

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard! I'm quite the Britten and Vaughan Williams fan as well. Looking forward to seeing of you on the forum.

bhodges

Another Britten fan here, welcoming you to GMG!

--Bruce

Que

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Welcome Howard !

Question: I'm looking for a version of The Curlew River. Any recommendation ?

:)

foxandpeng

Hey  :). Can't go wrong with Vaughan Williams.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

SimonNZ

Welcome.

What's your favorite version(s) of Les Illuminations? I'm always looking for new ones to try.

david johnson

Greetings, and welcome among us  :)

SimonNZ

Quote from: absolutelybaching on June 16, 2021, 12:18:35 AM
I'm sorry to be very conventional about it! But, I prefer a tenor singing it to a soprano, no matter it was written for Sophie Wyss to sing originally. And so I like the Pears version, though Ian Bostridge is good too.

That's okay. The Pears / Goosens is probably my favorite recording of the work.

The Bostrisge is good too, but I think a Proms concert he did of the work even better.

aligreto

Welcome aboard and it is great to see you actively participating already. Keep it up  :)

André

Thanks for the answers ! The Britten is hard to locate. I was considering this version. It seems to have a good pedigree.

vandermolen

Welcome from me too Howard. I've always been a VW fan but am increasingly appreciating Britten's orchestral music (most recently the Violin Concerto). I don't think that Britten and Vaughan Williams had much time for each other's music!
Hope you enjoy your time on the Forum.
Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).