Music for chimes, bells, gongs, etc. ..

Started by André Le Nôtre, June 25, 2021, 09:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André Le Nôtre

Whether avant-garde or not, I would like to hear your suggestions for compositions/recordings featuring these instruments. I have always been fascinated by these types of sounds (glass and ice instruments too). I have several sets of wind chimes and bells in my backyard--both in diatonic and pentatonic scales--and I find them beyond soothing and relaxing. I have become addicted to their sound--it just seems to massage my soul. (One time, I was tempted to buy a 600$ gong at Nepenthe in Big Sur, but I knew the resulting argument with my wife would not be soothing and relaxing.)  I also love gamelan orchestras and the like. I was going to include "metallophones" in my list above, but I don't want to hear suggestions for things like xylophone concertos by Dittersdorf or whoever.

A while ago, someone posted some very interesting pieces mimicking the sound of rain, played on some type of metallophone. I would like to hear more things like that.

Mandryka

Strangely enough I listened to something which really impressed me last week which had long beautiful duets for bells and flute - Michael Finnissy's Contretänze, on this CD

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Andrei Peterov's 'Russia of Bells', although an orchestral work, might be of interest:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Undersea

Hovhaness Music often features Bells, Chimes, etc.
Some Messiaen Music might fit the bill too... :)

Mandryka

VonStupp

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

mabuse

I suggest this very sweet music...

Joël Grare (1961-) : Follow
Alpha (2003)
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nXfeeNlMQSSa3V3WwlSdja68e-2uX76SU

Follow, a campanologic suite in 5 movements for Chamonix bells :
"Joël Grare has created an instrument called "fan of the bells" : a chromatic keyboard of four registers from the round cow bells of Chamonix-Mont-Blanc produced by the Devouassoud bell factory, a creation that took him twenty years ..."

Maestro267

I can only offer examples of these sounds within orchestral music.

Olivier Messiaen frequently calls for metallic percussion. His 1962 work Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum is for woodwinds, brass and a metallic percussion section including Almglocken, tubular bells, 3 tam-tams of differing size (dominant in the 4th mvt.) and tuned gongs.

Mandryka

André Le Nôtre

Thanks. I have just started listening to some of the suggestions here. The Joel Grare is fascinating and I am searching for the disc on eBay and other sellers (no luck on Amazon). From what I hear, it seems that it is possible to alter the pitch of some of these bells after they are struck, i.e., like the Japanese koto. I look forward to reading whatever liner notes accompany the disc. Will get to the other suggestions soon.

Xenophanes

Japanese composer, Toshiro Mayuzumi, seemed to like bells.  His Nirvana Symphony has 3 sections called "Campanology."  It's on YT here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc7YwMLqXNE

This is not exactly chimes, bells and gongs, but Brian Slawson's Bach on Wood has interesting sounds.