What is the greatest symphonic poem?

Started by relm1, June 26, 2021, 04:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Not including symphony poems like Liszt's Dante or Faust Symphony, Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique, Sibelius's Kullervo or Strauss's Alpine Symphony where the work is a symphony-poem hybrid, what do you think is the finest example of a tone poem?  I think a great candidate is Cesar Franck's Accursed Hunter.  Duration isn't the point, but rather some of the aforementioned composers are clearly writing programmatic symphonies which aren't tone poems.  By the way, is there a difference between a tone poem and symphonic poem? 

Symphonic Addict

I'm not sure if my choices are the greatest symphonic poems ever, but I'm very fond of Sibelius's Tapiola and Rachmaninov's The Isle of the Dead. Both works are the epitome of atmosphere, they really describe what they are supposed to express or convey. Another fine example is Strauss's Don Quixote. Its form is cleverly developed and what it is describing is rather clear. Other extraordinary works in the form are Bax's November Woods and Nympholept.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on June 26, 2021, 04:28:15 PM
Not including symphony poems like Liszt's Dante or Faust Symphony, Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique, Sibelius's Kullervo or Strauss's Alpine Symphony where the work is a symphony-poem hybrid, what do you think is the finest example of a tone poem?  I think a great candidate is Cesar Franck's Accursed Hunter.  Duration isn't the point, but rather some of the aforementioned composers are clearly writing programmatic symphonies which aren't tone poems.  By the way, is there a difference between a tone poem and symphonic poem?

The way I interpret it a tone poem is an orchestral work that is based off a particular narrative and tries to convey this narrative in music. I don't think I could pick one work to be 'the greatest tone poem', but I do think there are several in which come to mind that I think are extraordinary:

Dvořák: The Wild Dove, Op. 110, B. 198
Sibelius: Pohjola's Daughter, Op. 49
Smetana: Má vlast (I realize I'm cheating here as this is a cycle of six tone poems, but I just had to include it)
Strauss: Don Quixote, Op. 35
Liszt: Mazeppa, S. 100
Rachmaninov: Isle of the Dead, Op. 29
Mussorgsky: Night on Bald Mountain
Lyadov: From the Apocalypse
Rimsky-Korsakov: Sadko, Op. 5
Borodin: In the Steppes of Central Asia
Saint-Saëns: Danse macabre, Op. 40
Tveitt: Nykken, Op. 187
Koechlin: Le Buisson ardent, Opp. 203 & 171
Delius: Two Small Pieces for Orchestra (I. On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring, II. Summer Night on the River)
Suk: A Summer's Tale, Op. 29

Jo498

Quote from: relm1 on June 26, 2021, 04:28:15 PM
Not including symphony poems like Liszt's Dante or Faust Symphony, Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique, Sibelius's Kullervo or Strauss's Alpine Symphony where the work is a symphony-poem hybrid, what do you think is the finest example of a tone poem?  I think a great candidate is Cesar Franck's Accursed Hunter.  Duration isn't the point, but rather some of the aforementioned composers are clearly writing programmatic symphonies which aren't tone poems. 
I am not sure where you want to draw the line. I see it only quite clearly for multi-movement works that are even called "symphony". What about La mer?

Restricting to one-movement pieces of moderate length, my favorite is probably "Don Juan" by Strauss, but I am overall not terribly fond of the genre.

By the way, is there a difference between a tone poem and symphonic poem?
No.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

relm1

Quote from: Jo498 on June 27, 2021, 12:56:47 PM
I am not sure where you want to draw the line. I see it only quite clearly for multi-movement works that are even called "symphony". What about La mer?

Restricting to one-movement pieces of moderate length, my favorite is probably "Don Juan" by Strauss, but I am overall not terribly fond of the genre.
No.

Yes, that's a grey area.  I think the basic approach is if the work has a narrative inspiration, it's not a symphony.  So La Mer is a symphony in three movements because it isn't telling a story.  Symphonic poems will tell a story.  So Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique tells a story but is in a multi-movement symphonic form.  I think it falls more into a symphony because the composer says it is.  Sort of like Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony.  These are programmatic symphonies, not symphonic poems. 

Cato

Assorted candidates in no particular order:

Schoenberg: Pelleas und Melisande

Rachmaninov: The Rock,  Isle of the Dead

Franck: Le Chasseur Maudit

Tchaikovsky: Francesca da Rimini

Liadov: Baba Yaga

Ives: Robert Browning Overture, The Fourth of July

Schumann: Manfred Overture

Beethoven: Coriolanus
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Daverz

Isle of the Dead came to mind before I saw the replies.  Honest.

A few more that come to mind:

Bax: Tintagel; Garden of Fand
Holst: Beni Mori (that's a 3 movement suite)
Debussy: Jeux
Dukas: Sorcerer's Apprentice
Nielsen:  Helios Overture (does being an overture make it technically out of the running?)
Dvorak: Golden Spinning Wheel

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on June 27, 2021, 07:39:43 PM
Isle of the Dead came to mind before I saw the replies.  Honest.

A few more that come to mind:

Bax: Tintagel; Garden of Fand
Holst: Beni Mori (that's a 3 movement suite)
Debussy: Jeux
Nielsen:  Helios Overture (does being an overture make it technically out of the running?)
Dvorak: Golden Spinning Wheel

Jeux is a ballet. :)

vandermolen

Sibelius: Tapiola
Sainton: Nadir/ The Island
Bax: Tintagel/Nympholept/Christmas Eve in the Mountains/November Woods
Novak: In the Tatras/ De Profundis
Alwyn: The Magic Island
Moeran: In the Mountain Country
Mazaev: The Krasnodonians
Lyadov: Babi-Yaga/The Enchanted Lake
Rachmaninov: The Isle of the Dead
Patrick Hadley: Kinder Scout
Dorothy Howell: Lamia
Gershwin: An American in Paris
Miaskovsky: Silence
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 28, 2021, 12:33:59 AM
Sibelius: Tapiola
Sainton: Nadir/ The Island
Bax: Tintagel/Nympholept/Christmas Eve in the Mountains/November Woods
Novak: In the Tatras/ De Profundis
Alwyn: The Magic Island
Moeran: In the Mountain Country
Mazaev: The Krasnodonians
Lyadov: Babi-Yaga/The Enchanted Lake
Rachmaninov: The Isle of the Dead
Patrick Hadley: Kinder Scout
Dorothy Howell: Lamia
Gershwin: An American in Paris

A thought-provoking selection though only Tapiola and Tintagel would make my (provisional) short-list. I will have to revisit the Moeran, Hadley and Alwyn.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on June 28, 2021, 02:57:44 AM
A thought-provoking selection though only Tapiola and Tintagel would make my (provisional) short-list. I will have to revisit the Moeran, Hadley and Alwyn.
Thanks - I find Mazaev's 'The Krasnodonians' (a tribute to heroic resistance fighters who were massacred in WW2) very moving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qyjcf7tI_U
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

I forgot that mighty example of tone-poetry!

I would think not, which is why I included the highly evocative overtures by Schumann (Manfred) and Beethoven (Coriolanus).
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

relm1

Interestingly, no one has mentioned Liszt who practically invented the genre.  You folks find it a bit dry and old fashioned? 

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on June 28, 2021, 05:17:34 AM
Interestingly, no one has mentioned Liszt who practically invented the genre.  You folks find it a bit dry and old fashioned?

I mentioned and included Liszt in my own list.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on June 28, 2021, 05:17:34 AM
I find his music tedious.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 28, 2021, 07:02:56 AM
Even Les préludes? :-\
Not sure that I know them John, but I had high, unfulfilled, hopes for the 'Dante Symphony'. Sorry to say that (together with Richard Strauss) he is one of my least favourite composers. I consider Chisholm's 'Pictures from Dante' to be a much greater work and truer to the spirit of Dante.

Biffo

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 28, 2021, 07:02:56 AM
Even Les préludes? :-\

I have heard them all at least once (several twice or more) and Les preludes is the only one I return to and then rarely. Most of them I find long-winded, repetitive and tedious.

Symphonic Addict

I do rescue some of Liszt's tone poems. Les préludes, Tasso, Hunnenschlacht and Héroïde funèbre are pretty good.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

LKB

For me, Sibelius tops the list with En Saga. There aren't a huge number of quality videos which feature the piece, but this one is good:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-iarVX4jZ-g
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...