Author Topic: What is the greatest symphonic poem?  (Read 6040 times)

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
Re: What is the greatest symphonic poem?
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2021, 06:39:23 AM »
What are some works that were mentioned that you haven’t heard but would like to?

I'm giving Koechlin's Le buisson ardent a go now. The Krasnodonians looks interesting too

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
    Mostly Austro-Germanic and Soviet/Russian repertoire
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2021, 06:43:20 AM »
I'm giving Koechlin's Le buisson ardent a go now.

8) Let me know what you think whenever you get the chance. I find this to be one of Koechlin’s best orchestral works.
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2021, 01:45:39 AM »
Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot! Fascinating orchestration. I found liner notes from another recording which confirmed the sound I heard at the beginning of Part 2 to be the wonderful ondes Martenot. It also said there are 5 saxophones (which I couldn't hear) and organ (which I very much COULD hear, again wonderful.)

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2021, 04:49:49 AM »
Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot! Fascinating orchestration. I found liner notes from another recording which confirmed the sound I heard at the beginning of Part 2 to be the wonderful ondes Martenot. It also said there are 5 saxophones (which I couldn't hear) and organ (which I very much COULD hear, again wonderful.)

Fascinating.  Never heard the work so I've added it to my listening list.

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2021, 03:42:34 PM »

I thought this was a fantastic release.  I was surprised by how contemporary it sounded.  Gorgeous, refined, expertly orchestrated, exotic, but also quite sophisticated.  I will certainly explore his music further because I loved this release!  Even the early "La course de printemps, op. 95" dating from 1908 was amazing sophisticated.  It felt like something that could have been written today!  Lovely music and I look forward to exploring this composer further! 

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2021, 02:46:04 AM »
For me, Sibelius tops the list with En Saga. There aren't a huge number of quality videos which feature the piece, but this one is good:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-iarVX4jZ-g
Thanks for that link; I enjoyed the performance.  I have several recordings of it, but have never seen it performed before, so that was nice!

PD

Online LKB

• Veteran member
    something between my ears
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2021, 07:05:09 PM »
Thanks for that link; I enjoyed the performance.  I have several recordings of it, but have never seen it performed before, so that was nice!

PD

Glad you enjoyed it!
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...