The Music Room > The Jazz Lounge

Lee Morgan

<< < (3/4) > >>

Pohjolas Daughter:

--- Quote from: T. D. on August 18, 2021, 07:48:23 AM ---Nope, after the GMG brouhaha concerning a poster receiving unsolicited nasty PMs about "listening to s**t composers", I'm posting jazz listening only on jazz forums. Sticking to non-exotic classical on GMG. This particular subforum sees little activity in any case. I only posted the above to follow up on an existing topic.

--- End quote ---
Oh, o.k.  Sorry to hear that.  :(

I'm hoping that one of the libraries that I can borrow from will purchase a copy of it.  We'll see!

PD

SimonNZ:

--- Quote from: T. D. on August 18, 2021, 07:48:23 AM ---Nope, after the GMG brouhaha concerning a poster receiving unsolicited nasty PMs about "listening to s**t composers", I'm posting jazz listening only on jazz forums. Sticking to non-exotic classical on GMG. This particular subforum sees little activity in any case. I only posted the above to follow up on an existing topic.

--- End quote ---

I seem to have missed whatever that was. On which thread did it take place?

I hope your posting doesn't change because of one troll. Because then the troll wins.

Mirror Image:
I’m rather a fan of Lee Morgan (especially during his Jazz Messenger days), so The Complete Live at the Lighthouse 8-CD box set is definitely on my to-buy list. Whoops...too late, I already bought it. :P

It does look great, indeed:

T. D.:
I ordered this as well, with some misgivings (8 CD?  ::) ). Reason: while all Morgan's work is good, when it comes to sessions he led I prefer the later, slightly more "outside"-leaning music such as the Search for the New Land album. The Lighthouse material is (according to what I've read) in that general style. Also, the sound quality of this release is said to be a significant improvement on the old 3-CD Lighthouse set.

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: T. D. on August 24, 2021, 04:24:33 PM ---I ordered this as well, with some misgivings (8 CD?  ::) ). Reason: while all Morgan's work is good, when it comes to sessions he led I prefer the later, slightly more "outside"-leaning music such as the Search for the New Land album. The Lighthouse material is (according to what I've read) in that general style. Also, the sound quality of this release is said to be a significant improvement on the old 3-CD Lighthouse set.

--- End quote ---

Truth be told, I actually bought this for my dad as he’s a big Morgan fan as he only previously owned the 3-CD set and you know how fast these box sets go OOP. It’s better to jump on it while it’s still hot off the press. I probably agree with you about Morgan and Search for the New Land to be best of my memory was an excellent album. I think this album had Hancock on it, so pretty smart of Morgan to bring the harmonically-daring Hancock into this recording session.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version