The Music Room > The Jazz Lounge

Lee Morgan

<< < (4/4)

T. D.:
I got it and have listened to the whole set.

It's good. Bennie Maupin (ts, fl, bcl) is really awesome and almost steals the show. I had practically no recordings with him before this box. Harold Mabern (piano), of whom I'm a fan, is also strong; perhaps some solos are overly long and rambling, but that's part of live sets. Jymie Merritt plays electric bass, but no complaints about the sound (my taste runs more to acoustic).

A guy on a jazz forum had a good description of the music: "...think of it as the missing link between Lee Morgan & Music Inc. or vice-versa".

Do I need 8 CDs of this material? Rationally, probably not. But it's an important archival reissue, less than half the price per disc of Mosaics without the unpleasant (IMO) bulky packaging. There is a fine booklet, approx. 5+" square as opposed to Mosaic's 12"x12". I'll happily take that in exchange for reduced shelf space, don't care about fancy photos.

Pohjolas Daughter:

--- Quote from: T. D. on September 01, 2021, 09:53:36 AM ---I got it and have listened to the whole set.

It's good. Bennie Maupin (ts, fl, bcl) is really awesome and almost steals the show. I had practically no recordings with him before this box. Harold Mabern (piano), of whom I'm a fan, is also strong; perhaps some solos are overly long and rambling, but that's part of live sets. Jymie Merritt plays electric bass, but no complaints about the sound (my taste runs more to acoustic).

A guy on a jazz forum had a good description of the music: "...think of it as the missing link between Lee Morgan & Music Inc. or vice-versa".

Do I need 8 CDs of this material? Rationally, probably not. But it's an important archival reissue, less than half the price per disc of Mosaics without the unpleasant (IMO) bulky packaging. There is a fine booklet, approx. 5+" square as opposed to Mosaic's 12"x12". I'll happily take that in exchange for reduced shelf space, don't care about fancy photos.

--- End quote ---
Thank you for your review!  Pleased to hear that you are enjoying it.  Reminds me to send an email to local music librarian to see whether or not she has decided to order it.  I'll send a link to that article/review that you had posted here too.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter:

--- Quote from: T. D. on September 01, 2021, 09:53:36 AM ---I got it and have listened to the whole set.

--- End quote ---
Just started listening to this set today.  Played Disc One...particularly enjoyed "Something Like This" and "Yunjana".  The sound is excellent!  I haven't yet listened to it on my good stereo, but even on my cheap one in the kitchen, it sounded wonderful!  Started reading the booklet and have been enjoying that too.

Is the Lighthouse (which is in Hermosa Beach, California) still alive and kicking?  I bet that it would be a wonderful place to see a show....at least if you're not too sleepy after a day at the beach.  :D

PD

T. D.:

--- Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 14, 2021, 06:31:27 AM ---Just started listening to this set today.  Played Disc One...particularly enjoyed "Something Like This" and "Yunjana".  The sound is excellent!  I haven't yet listened to it on my good stereo, but even on my cheap one in the kitchen, it sounded wonderful!  Started reading the booklet and have been enjoying that too.

Is the Lighthouse (which is in Hermosa Beach, California) still alive and kicking?  I bet that it would be a wonderful place to see a show....at least if you're not too sleepy after a day at the beach.  :D

PD

--- End quote ---

In a way, after long jazz-free hiatus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighthouse_Caf%C3%A9

Years ago, there was a woman (Sandi*, now deceased) on the now-defunct All About Jazz forum who had grown up in the area, frequented the club, and had many fascinating stories to tell. Great reading, though her nostalgic accounts may not have been 100% reliable.

*[Added] Her name was Saundra Hummer. Found one link: https://www.mchs1957.org/winkler-bios.html
The AAJ links are of course dead. Few stories and a picture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version