Favourite symphonies in two movements

Started by Maestro267, July 12, 2021, 05:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Idk...does what it says in the thread title.

I will specify the following: Some symphonies are listed as being in two "Parts". Not all of these necessarily count here. For instance, Mahler 8 and Tippett 3 would count as the two parts constitute continuous music despite often being subdivided further. Suk's Asrael Symphony or Mahler 3 don't count, as the two parts comprise multiple separate movements within each part. (Split 3-2 in Asrael and 1-5 in Mahler 3).

Some of my favourites:

Hartmann 6
Alwyn 2
Myaskovsky 7
Lajtha 5
Prokofiev 2
Lutoslawski 2

Jo498

Schubert b minor (but this is a fragment certainly planned for 4 movements)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

Hartmann 6
Rouse 3
Rouse 4
Saint-Saëns 3

And of course Jo claimed the most famous one of all.

relm1

Prokofiev 2
Saint-Saëns 3
Christopher Rouse 4
Sumera 1

VonStupp

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 12, 2021, 05:43:16 AM

I will specify the following: Some symphonies are listed as being in two "Parts". Not all of these necessarily count here. For instance, Mahler 8 and Tippett 3 would count as the two parts constitute continuous music despite often being subdivided further. Suk's Asrael Symphony or Mahler 3 don't count, as the two parts comprise multiple separate movements within each part. (Split 3-2 in Asrael and 1-5 in Mahler 3).

Even the famous Saint-Saëns 3rd seems to be a standard four contrasting movements, rather than the marked overall two.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vandermolen

Alwyn: Symphony No.2
Pettersson: Symphony No.6 (apparently in one long movement actually)
Prokofiev: Symphony No.2
Gorecki: Symphony No.2 'Copernican'
Nielsen: Symphony No.5

Added later (following other's suggestions):
Creston: Symphony No.2
Schubert: Symphony No.8
Kinsella: Symphony No.3
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

amw

Simpson 6 is an interesting case as a continuous span of music that the composer nevertheless conceptualised as two separate movements. Nielsen 5 is also an obvious choice, one that resists any further division into movements despite the frequent attempts by record companies to insist otherwise.

Of examples not mentioned yet, Holmboe 6 is one of his best, I think.

Biffo

Nielsen 5 is the one that springs to mind first, sure there are others

Jo498

I was not sure about Nielsen 5 because I think I have also seen subdivision on CD. And for the Saint-Saens I definitely took it as more than two de facto movements.

Another good one (a bit in the shadow of the one-movement first one) is Schoenberg's 2nd chamber symphony.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Biffo

Quote from: Jo498 on July 12, 2021, 07:52:52 AM
I was not sure about Nielsen 5 because I think I have also seen subdivision on CD. And for the Saint-Saens I definitely took it as more than two de facto movements.

Another good one (a bit in the shadow of the one-movement first one) is Schoenberg's 2nd chamber symphony.

Nielsen really is just two movements. Some CDs have more than one track for the Finale but it is only one movement

Symphonic Addict

Nielsen 5
Holmboe 6
Alwyn 2
Prokofiev 2
Schubert 8
Lutoslawski 2
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Sergeant Rock

Mahler 8
Havergal Brian 30
Schubert 8
Nielsen 5
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MusicTurner

Well, already mentioned:

- Pettersson 8
- Nielsen 5
- Gorecki 2

also:
- Pärt 1

I don't think Pettersson 6th is in two movements

Symphonic Addict

Other two-movement symphonies worth mentioning:

Bentzon 4
Chávez 5
Creston 2
Eshpai 2
Kinsella 3
Lundquist 1
Norgard 3
Nystroem Sinfonia seria
Szymanowski 2
Toch 5
Tournemire 6
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 12, 2021, 09:06:52 AM
I don't think Pettersson 6th is in two movements

Me either. It's actually a massive single movement.

Noam Chomsky

MusicTurner

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 12, 2021, 09:13:35 AM
Other two-movement symphonies worth mentioning:

Bentzon 4
Chávez 5
Creston 2
Eshpai 2
Kinsella 3
Lundquist 1
Norgard 3
Nystroem Sinfonia seria
Szymanowski 2
Toch 5
Tournemire 6

Good call, some nice stuff there.

DaveF

Webern's is in 2 movements.  Somebody's favourite, surely?
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Maestro267

I decided to swap out Pettersson 8 for Myaskovsky's 7th Symphony (in B minor)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 12, 2021, 05:43:16 AM

Some of my favourites:

Hartmann 6
Alwyn 2
Myaskovsky 7
Lajtha 6
Prokofiev 2
Lutoslawski 2

The Lajtha is in 4 movements. Perhaps you meant the 5th.

Noam Chomsky

vers la flamme

Webern
Schubert 8th (the B minor)
Mahler 8th