Your Favorite Purchases Of 2021 (So Far...)

Started by Mirror Image, July 13, 2021, 02:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up this year or not, but we're at the halfway point and I'm wondering what have been your favorite purchases of the year so far?

Mirror Image

I have A LOT of purchases to list, but I'll take my time before giving a list.

André

I think there is a thread already, but let the mods merge them if that's the case.  :)

This one would definitely be on my 2021 list:

Mirror Image

Okay, so I've assembled my list and I'll just post a 'Top 10' and in no particular order:

Symphonic Addict

Only purchases are allowed? I'm thinking of discoveries instead. I have plenty of them.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 13, 2021, 05:26:35 PM
Only purchases are allowed? I'm thinking of discoveries instead. I have plenty of them.

Yep, only purchases. I know you've made plenty of discoveries, Cesar. ;) You're welcome to start your own thread of course.

vandermolen

Features the Concerto for Two Pianos (which I prefer to the single piano version), Flos Campi (in a performance which the composer himself recommended) and, one of my favourites, the 'Fantasia on the Old 104th' (in a version featuring the organ). I was delighted to find that another recording existed apart from the (excellent) one with Boult and Peter Katin (who, told me that the piano part was especially difficult).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ultralinear on July 14, 2021, 01:39:08 AM
Best purchase (in terms of bargain) has to be this 25-CD set:

Which I snagged for GBP 25.62 in Presto's winter sale.  Not appreciating the sheer physical size of the thing.  I thought I must have bought LPs by mistake. ???

Favourite (in terms of number of plays) would probably be this :

Has an attractive and intriguing quality - and simple listenability - which I hadn't found in White Nights, so came as a pleasant surprise. :)

And this:

For the 11 minutes of Five Fragments op.42, composed just before the Fourth Symphony. :blank:

Then there's this:

Just gorgeous.  As you might expect. 0:)
That looks like a lovely Bernstein set!  I don't have that one but do have this one.  And like you, the size of the box threw me as it's really LP-sized [Where to store it?!].  https://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bernstein-Symphony-Gustav-Mahler/dp/B003Z9Q4WG/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3VPYHA4G1XZ5H&dchild=1&keywords=leonard+bernstein+symphony+edition&qid=1626255844&s=music&sprefix=leonard+bernstein+the+symphony%2Cpopular%2C177&sr=1-2

I've heard that R. Schumann "Peri" work before--though not that particular recording; yes, it's very beautiful.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Jo498

I am buying far less and it's often a bit hit and miss nevertheless, but I can single out two:

[asin]B00284SDM8[/asin]

Probably my favorite (live) recordings of both pieces now, while the serenade might be a bit to internationally virtuosic (and not bohemian enough) for some, the quartet is white hot and probably the best I have heard.

[asin]B075GBFQQL[/asin]

a very nice compilation of recordings not easy to find otherwise and they are among the best recordings of both Sinfonietta and the 2nd quartet and the sound is decent early stereo despite the "magazin release" (not sure how close they get to master tapes etc.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Jo498 on July 14, 2021, 01:53:37 AM
I am buying far less and it's often a bit hit and miss nevertheless, but I can single out two:

[asin]B00284SDM8[/asin]

Probably my favorite (live) recordings of both pieces now, while the serenade might be a bit to internationally virtuosic (and not bohemian enough) for some, the quartet is white hot and probably the best I have heard.

[asin]B075GBFQQL[/asin]

a very nice compilation of recordings not easy to find otherwise and they are among the best recordings of both Sinfonietta and the 2nd quartet and the sound is decent early stereo despite the "magazin release" (not sure how close they get to master tapes etc.)
Pohjolas Daughter

Artem

It'd be also interesting if people could indicate their favourite purchased disk released this year.

vandermolen

Quote from: Artem on July 14, 2021, 03:24:48 AM
It'd be also interesting if people could indicate their favourite purchased disk released this year.
The one that I posted, although featuring historical recordings, was just released this year.

Here's another one (new recording):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

André

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 14, 2021, 06:15:38 AM

Sarge
I could have included HB myself. Both of those Sibelius recordings are favourites of mine.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 13, 2021, 04:44:32 PM
Okay, so I've assembled my list and I'll just post a 'Top 10' and in no particular order:

Do you think the new Barbirolli/Sibelius remastering is a significant improvement on previous versions?  It was the first set of Sibelius I knew (on LP) and I love it to bits but was a bit underwhelmed when I finally got it on CD.  Perhaps I have too many other Sibelius cycles now!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 16, 2021, 03:23:34 AM
Do you think the new Barbirolli/Sibelius remastering is a significant improvement on previous versions?  It was the first set of Sibelius I knew (on LP) and I love it to bits but was a bit underwhelmed when I finally got it on CD.  Perhaps I have too many other Sibelius cycles now!

I would say run, don't walk over to Amazon and pull the trigger on this Sibelius Barbriolli set. To these ears, it sounds better than the later EMI set put out. Warner did a find job with the remastering and I love the original LP covers in these types of boxes from them.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 16, 2021, 06:48:50 AM
I would say run, don't walk over to Amazon and pull the trigger on this Sibelius Barbriolli set. To these ears, it sounds better than the later EMI set put out. Warner did a find job with the remastering and I love the original LP covers in these types of boxes from them.
+1  ;D