Favorite recording of the Archduke Trio?

Started by DavidW, September 29, 2021, 04:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Belated felicitations  :)

I have always been particularly fond of the Stern/Rose/Istomin version:

milk

Quote from: Que on September 30, 2021, 08:13:45 AM
My bad....I was confused with the "Geister- Trio"!

Still a great performance.  :)
HIP recording by Immerseel, Bylsma and Beths.
Quote from: amw on September 30, 2021, 05:59:30 AM
I wish. Queyras recorded the Archduke with Faust and Melnikov on modern instruments. With Staier and Sepec it's only Op. 1/3 and 70/1.
wait. No. The Melnikov is period. He plays a Streicher.

DavidW

btw I listened to the Archduke and Op 70 #2 from the Suk Trio set... wow! that is a great recording.

Que

Quote from: milk on October 04, 2021, 04:42:13 AM
HIP recording by Immerseel, Bylsma and Beths.

I never really warmed to one. Not sure why... perhpas too straight laced?

Quotewait. No. The Melnikov is period. He plays a Streicher.

It's a 1828 Alois Graf.  :D There is some debate whether the playing is quite so historically informed.
But views are mostly positive. I'm going to give it a try if it's on Spotify.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: DavidW on October 06, 2021, 05:51:42 PM
btw I listened to the Archduke and Op 70 #2 from the Suk Trio set... wow! that is a great recording.

+1 for the Suk Trio.  But generally I love their playing of just about anything.  With some works I have a (stupid!) obsession to hear/get multiple versions but with this work and performance I'm more than happy with just one

milk

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 07, 2021, 12:36:45 AM
+1 for the Suk Trio.  But generally I love their playing of just about anything.  With some works I have a (stupid!) obsession to hear/get multiple versions but with this work and performance I'm more than happy with just one
I'd bet most people around here like to hear multiple versions so I don't think it's stupid.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on October 06, 2021, 05:51:42 PM
Glad that you enjoyed it!

So, did you get any neat CDs (or audio equipment) for your birthday?  :)

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 07, 2021, 12:36:45 AM
You're not along with being obsessed with hearing different recordings/performances of favorite works.  :-[ :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

staxomega

Quote from: Todd on October 01, 2021, 05:28:25 PM

This is the first Decca release I've come across that was streaming/digital download only, that is disappointing.

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 07, 2021, 04:40:33 AM
Glad that you enjoyed it!

So, did you get any neat CDs (or audio equipment) for your birthday?  :)

Yes, the Ivan Fischer Mahler 3.  I purchased it from arkivmusic but they never delivered and I ended up doing a charge dispute since CS was useless.  I won't ever purchase from Arkiv ever again, they are unreliable.  But anyway... so I asked for it for my birthday and received it as a present.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on October 07, 2021, 06:21:37 AM
Yes, the Ivan Fischer Mahler 3.  I purchased it from arkivmusic but they never delivered and I ended up doing a charge dispute since CS was useless.  I won't ever purchase from Arkiv ever again, they are unreliable.  But anyway... so I asked for it for my birthday and received it as a present.
Oh, nice!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

mabuse

Quote from: hvbias on October 07, 2021, 05:11:34 AM
This is the first Decca release I've come across that was streaming/digital download only, that is disappointing.

+1

Especially since the clips I heard on Youtube actually looked very good...

Please Todd, we want a new suggestion!

Personally, two recordings that I remember enjoying ...

Todd

Quote from: mabuse on October 07, 2021, 12:06:00 PM
+1

Especially since the clips I heard on Youtube actually looked very good...

Please Todd, we want a new suggestion!

http://global.gmarket.co.kr/item?goodscode=714831467
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on October 07, 2021, 06:21:37 AM
I've also permanently stopped using Arkiv, although in my case, they did quickly refund the $300 of stuff they never shipped.

staxomega

Quote from: Todd on October 07, 2021, 05:36:25 PM

http://global.gmarket.co.kr/item?goodscode=714831467

Thanks. Their website says it is digital release only. I think I've heard every version of Archduke except for less popular ones like self published and no one sounds like Trio Owon.

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on October 08, 2021, 07:18:02 AM
I've also permanently stopped using Arkiv, although in my case, they did quickly refund the $300 of stuff they never shipped.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on October 08, 2021, 12:56:17 PM
Good to know I'm not the only one.

Yeah, I and a friend of mine had problems recently with Arkiv Music. I really don't know what the hell has happened to them but they seem to be very disorganized.

All seemed to start when they redid their website, which has not been a user friendly change in my opinion and certainly not an improvement.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 08, 2021, 01:16:58 PM
Yeah, I and a friend of mine had problems recently with Arkiv Music. I really don't know what the hell has happened to them but they seem to be very disorganized.

All seemed to start when they redid their website, which has not been a user friendly change in my opinion and certainly not an improvement.

Sad. I haven't been there in a while, but they used to have the best website of all Classical sellers. Packed with info and easy to find answers. They were actually my first vendor, back in the 1990's I bought a pisspot-full of CD's from them. Just like an old girlfriend, we drifted apart over time, getting together for just a wee drop of connubial bliss on occasion.... :(

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 08, 2021, 01:35:00 PM
Sad. I haven't been there in a while, but they used to have the best website of all Classical sellers. Packed with info and easy to find answers.

I felt the same way. I used to love looking at their site for information. Not anymore.  :-\

SimonNZ

The recording I imprinted on and still a favorite, Trio di Trieste's pre-DG first

DavidW

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 08, 2021, 01:16:58 PM

My experience was that when they didn't ship the cds I called CS but it just went to voicemail.  I think I tried both voicemail and email with no reply.  I eventually started a dispute to get a charge back.  My credit card company never got a hold of them either and I won the dispute.

Several years ago, you would place an order and a day or two later the entire thing would ship. Arkivmusic is not cheap, I just wanted to support a store that catered to us.  Oh well.