Your Favorite Purchases Of 2021 (So Far...)

Started by Mirror Image, July 13, 2021, 02:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. D.

Recent purchase I'd long thought about but held back on. Highly impressed, definitely makes the list.

Artem

Out of several disks released this year that I have I found this one from Alpha to be very pleasant. It has a very nice programme and the recording quality is very good too.

Mirror Image

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on August 03, 2021, 05:38:25 AM
Both look great John!

Indeed they are, Jeffrey. The Shostakovich Sladkovsky set has surprised me I must say.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Artem on July 26, 2021, 12:29:03 AM
Out of several disks released this year that I have I found this one from Alpha to be very pleasant. It has a very nice programme and the recording quality is very good too.

It truly is a wonderful recording. Much more than pleasant --- gorgeous, thoughtful performances. I initially didn't like the performances, but I've since become more open to the idea of a smaller orchestral sound, especially in Strauss' Vier letzte Lieder for example.

Artem

I find it very well programmed. Vert pleasant listening from beginning to the end.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 09, 2021, 08:05:35 PM
It truly is a wonderful recording. Much more than pleasant --- gorgeous, thoughtful performances. I initially didn't like the performances, but I've since become more open to the idea of a smaller orchestral sound, especially in Strauss' Vier letzte Lieder for example.
Why I preger della Casa to Norman in that work.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Artem on August 09, 2021, 10:44:40 PM
I find it very well programmed. Vert pleasant listening from beginning to the end.

Yes, the Berg and Zemlinsky are equally well-performed.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on August 09, 2021, 10:56:59 PM
Why I preger della Casa to Norman in that work.

I wouldn't say that Norman's Vier letzte Lieder is overrated, but it does seem to eclipse other performances that are just as deserving of the same kind of accolades.

J.A.W.

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 16, 2021, 06:48:50 AM
I would say run, don't walk over to Amazon and pull the trigger on this Sibelius Barbriolli set. To these ears, it sounds better than the later EMI set put out. Warner did a find job with the remastering and I love the original LP covers in these types of boxes from them.

Warner didn't do the remastering of the Barbirolli themselves, they hired the French Art & Son Studio, who has done a lot of great mastering for them lately - they also did the forthcoming Warner Furtwängler box.
Hans

Mirror Image

Quote from: J.A.W. on August 10, 2021, 04:22:44 PM
Warner didn't do the remastering of the Barbirolli themselves, they hired the French Art & Son Studio, who has done a lot of great mastering for them lately - they also did the forthcoming Warner Furtwängler box.

Ah, very good. Thanks for the feedback. It's great to see you around here, J.A.W. 8)

vandermolen

Definitely this one:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).