Your Favorite Purchases Of 2021 (So Far...)

Started by Mirror Image, July 13, 2021, 02:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André Le Nôtre

2021 is an ***abominable*** year; my aunt died, my mother died, my father died, I have nine hundred million, billion, trillion legal/financial hassles, and I have to sell a house as a result--sucking all of my time, energy and soul. The Western forests are burning to the ground, Europe is suffering epic flooding, and a peculiar species of hairless ape is serving as Petri dish for new viral mutants...

But at least there is music.

Pauline Oliveros, Crone Music (suggested by someone here, thanks!)

Liszt, Les Années de Pèlerinage, Lazar Berman, pf

John Luther Adams, The Wind in High Places.

MusicTurner

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on July 16, 2021, 09:32:10 PM
2021 is an ***abominable*** year; my aunt died, my mother died, my father died, I have nine hundred million, billion, trillion legal/financial hassles, and I have to sell a house as a result--sucking all of my time, energy and soul. The Western forests are burning to the ground, Europe is suffering epic flooding, and a peculiar species of hairless ape is serving as Petri dish for new viral mutants...

But at least there is music (...)

That must be tough. These are hard times for many people, surely, and in the recent two years, we've also had several deaths in my family and other severe problems as well. I can only wish you some future happier experiences too, hopefully within long. Music is indeed one source of energy to deal with the troubles.

As regards my buyings, there's been many; some most recent highlights were the CPO box of Reger violin and cello works; Mascagni's old Cavalleria with Levine/DG; Bernius and Mathe in orchestral music by K A Hartmann, Beethoven and Schubert/Carus label, plus Bloch's violin concerto etc. on an old Naxos.

But these are just a few of them.

Que

I feel you... Though my father died already a few years ago and my mother has so far survived the pandemic, the current combined climate crisis-pandemic is a sh%t show of epic proportions which is not likely to go away any time soon.

I guess we have to soldier on... And music, art in general, is indeed a big comfort.
And I'm glad we can share our love for it here, and keep each other sane and in touch with the better things in human existence.

Take care!  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 13, 2021, 04:44:32 PM
Okay, so I've assembled my list and I'll just post a 'Top 10' and in no particular order:

Out of curiosity, did you purchase the Bartok set as CDs or as downloads?  Tempted to get it/them, but boxed (as far as I can see) are quite expensive.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 17, 2021, 04:28:43 AM
Out of curiosity, did you purchase the Bartok set as CDs or as downloads?  Tempted to get it/them, but boxed (as far as I can see) are quite expensive.

PD

I bought it from a seller on eBay --- I made him an offer and he accepted. This box set has been wonderful so far, but I've barely listened to anything from it. And yes, this box set is expensive and was expensive even with the offer I made the seller. The fact that Hungaroton haven't reissued it makes it even more difficult to find copies.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 17, 2021, 08:20:30 PM
I bought it from a seller on eBay --- I made him an offer and he accepted. This box set has been wonderful so far, but I've barely listened to anything from it. And yes, this box set is expensive and was expensive even with the offer I made the seller. The fact that Hungaroton haven't reissued it makes it even more difficult to find copies.
Thanks.  I might end up purchasing and downloading the files that I'm most interested in then.  At PrestoC, you can buy them as either mp3 or FLAC files.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Pauline Oliveros, Crone Music (suggested by someone here, thanks!)

Liszt, Les Années de Pèlerinage, Lazar Berman, pf

John Luther Adams, The Wind in High Places.

OT

Very sorry to hear that.

This year we had some happy news, in that my daughter married her lovely Canadian BF (although she recently had Coronavirus, but is recovering now). However, sadly, my brother-in-law, who lives in Sweden and who I am very fond of is now terminally ill. Music can be a great source of consolation at such times.

All strength to you.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 18, 2021, 01:53:02 AM
Thanks.  I might end up purchasing and downloading the files that I'm most interested in then.  At PrestoC, you can buy them as either mp3 or FLAC files.

PD

You're welcome. Since Bartók is such an important composer for me, I wanted the physical box set or I wouldn't have bought it all. It took me several years to find this set at a price that wasn't astronomical. By the way, do you own the Decca set?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 18, 2021, 05:48:16 AM
You're welcome. Since Bartók is such an important composer for me, I wanted the physical box set or I wouldn't have bought it all. It took me several years to find this set at a price that wasn't astronomical. By the way, do you own the Decca set?

No, I don't own that set.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 18, 2021, 05:50:00 AM
No, I don't own that set.

PD

Well, I just wanted to point how excellent it is. ;) I think it's OOP as well. :-\ You might as well wait for The Hungarian Soul box set from Warner. If I were you, I'd snag this set as soon it comes out as I'm not sure how long they'll keep it in-print.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 18, 2021, 06:07:32 AM
Well, I just wanted to point how excellent it is. ;) I think it's OOP as well. :-\ You might as well wait for The Hungarian Soul box set from Warner. If I were you, I'd snag this set as soon it comes out as I'm not sure how long they'll keep it in-print.
So, is the H.S. box of different Hungarian composers music (which would be my guess)?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 18, 2021, 06:09:02 AM
So, is the H.S. box of different Hungarian composers music (which would be my guess)?

PD

No. It's a Bartók only set. Ritter posted about a page back. Here's the cover:

Here's another one [left click to enlarge]:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 18, 2021, 06:32:32 AM
One more.
Great selection Manabu!
I have the Walton and 'Flanders' Fields' CD and the others are on my wish list.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 18, 2021, 06:22:36 AM
No. It's a Bartók only set. Ritter posted about a page back. Here's the cover:

Here's another one [left click to enlarge]:

Thanks!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Wanderer

Quote from: Artem on July 14, 2021, 03:24:48 AM
It'd be also interesting if people could indicate their favourite purchased disk released this year.

My favourite 2021 releases (so far) are:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on July 19, 2021, 11:29:48 PM
Great selection Manabu!
I have the Walton and 'Flanders' Fields' CD and the others are on my wish list.

I would like to hear your opinion of the Horenstein disc later.
Have a great week, Jeffrey.

The new erato

What I've bought this year is kind of blurry, but I remeber this bringing plenty of enjoyment:

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on July 20, 2021, 07:30:20 AM
What I've bought this year is kind of blurry, but I remeber this bringing plenty of enjoyment:

Me too!