My play about the world of classical music

Started by (poco) Sforzando, July 15, 2021, 08:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(poco) Sforzando

I am not as active on this wonderful group as in years past, having become more deeply involved in theater and playwriting than I had been in classical music per se. However, as some of you know already, I have written a full-length play about the world of classical music that you may now see anywhere from the comfort of your own homes in a filmed production at the Rogue Theater Festival. First date will be July 23, 6-8pm et, but the play will be available on demand between July 26-August 1.

The subject of the play is a classical radio station under pressure to improve its financial performance, and more broadly the survival of classical music at a time when it is becoming increasingly marginalized. Comments on the script have included "'Capriccio Radio' is Rinkel at his most passionate" (Douglas McNamara DeVita), "the storytelling and the action make beautiful music together" (Philip Middleton Williams), and "The clash between high art and commerce is played out with unabashed ardor in this thought-provoking play. A great piece for a theatre company with seasoned, older actors, 'Capriccio Radio' will speak to a cultured audience that feels its tastes have been relegated to dinosaur status" (Robert Weibezahl). Several GMG members are also familiar with the play and have followed its various permutations: Brian Reinhart, Karl Henning, Bruce Hodges, and Florestan among them.

While there have been a small number of other plays about classical music - Peter Shaffer's "Amadeus," Terrence McNally's "Master Class," Ronald Harwood's "Quartet," Michael Hollinger's "Opus," Itamar Moses's "Bach at Leipzig" among them - each focuses on a particular composer or performer, and I believe "Capriccio Radio" is the only play that treats its subject in the larger context described above.

But "Capriccio Radio" is not only about classical music, and I believe a knowledge of this music is not needed to enjoy it. That's because the play is also about friendship, workplace issues, father-son relations, ageism, and more. And as one of my actors has noted, the play will challenge both those who love this kind of music and those who think they hate the stuff.

If you're a member of the FaceBook GMG Classical Group, you can see some videos that are too large to attach here. But below I've added a montage of photos for you to see the look of the play as it has been filmed.
So please come! I think you're in for an enjoyable theatrical experience, with some exceptional acting!

Tickets: $15 at www.roguetheaterfestival.com. Direct ticket links:

Initial Streaming: July 23, 6-8 PM ET at
https://www.showtix4u.com/event-details/53776
On-Demand 48-hour access: July 26-August 1 at
https://www.showtix4u.com/event-details/54162
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Karl Henning

Looking forward to it. Break a leg, Larry!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot