Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Jo498 on July 20, 2021, 11:45:57 PM
Saint Saens: Organ symphony
gimmicky and just not very interesting to me

Strauss: Heldenleben
interminable, trite and boring

Shostakovich: 7th symphony
interminable, trite and boring

I can't agree with these, but that's fine. It's very amusing how many people dislike Ein Heldenleben. I enjoy it, but it's not my favorite tone poem by Strauss.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 21, 2021, 07:44:12 AM
I'm going over ten --- in no particular order:

Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake and The Nutcracker --- both of these works just bore me to tears, but I do like The Sleeping Beauty quite a bit
Ravel: Bolero
Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 --- I would die a happy man if I never hear this symphony again
Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet --- it's not a bad work of course, but I just find it overlong and mind-numbingly boring as the ballet progresses
Strauss: Ein Heldenleben --- my least favorite of the tone poems and incredibly difficult to get through without yawning
Elgar: Symphony No. 1 in A♭ major, Op. 55 and all of the Pomp & Circumstance Marches
Satie: Trois Gymnopédies
Schumann: All of the symphonies
Glass: Einstein on the Beach or really anything I've heard from him --- overrated, Minimalistic junk
Pärt: Für Alina --- Zzzz...
Reich: Music for 18 Musicians --- Dear God make it stop!!!

Okay, I think that's enough for now. ;D

I thought that you have changed your mind about Tchaikovsky's ballets. Interesting. Also interesting the inclusion of the Elgar.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on July 21, 2021, 12:00:36 PM
Piano Concertos
Solo Piano Music
Chopin
Liszt
Piano Etudes

Quite curious that you mention piano concertos. I can understand the point about solo piano music. In this form I prefer large-scale works like sonatas, variations, suites, etc, but little-tiny pieces like, say, 36 preludes, 26 small pieces, 18 dances...  :-\

I don't find them substantial as a whole.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 23, 2021, 07:58:44 PM
I thought that you have changed your mind about Tchaikovsky's ballets. Interesting. Also interesting the inclusion of the Elgar.

Honestly, I've never really liked The Nutcracker or Swan Lake even back when I was listening to Tchaikovsky more heavily 13 years ago or so. The Black Beauty I seem to like more than these two others, but not by much. I do like Tchaikovsky's symphonies, concerti, the symphonic poems, chamber music and solo piano music, though. I was listening to Swan Lake several weeks ago and enjoying it, but as the ballet progressed, I found myself basically enjoying it less and less. :-\

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: amw on July 22, 2021, 01:16:27 AM
Shostakovich - Symphony No. 10 in E minor, Op. 93. I guess it's not terrible, but people regularly point to this as the composer's greatest work while apart from the scherzo (which is indeed very fun) the rest of it feels like a slog. In live performances I find myself half asleep up until the tam-tam crash in the last movement, which signals "almost time to go home".

I feel identified with the last phrase about the Shostakovich (I do consider it very good, though.)

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

I've had fun by reading other interesting opinions. It's quite cool to notice how we concur with some works and we don't with others.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 23, 2021, 08:07:10 PM
Honestly, I've never really liked The Nutcracker or Swan Lake even back when I was listening to Tchaikovsky more heavily 13 years ago or so. The Black Beauty I seem to like more than these two others, but not by much. I do like Tchaikovsky's symphonies, concerti, the symphonic poems, chamber music and solo piano music, though. I was listening to Swan Lake several weeks ago and enjoying, but as the ballet progressed, I found myself just not enjoying that much. :-\

Oh, I see. Good you do enjoy other works of his output in your re-familiarization.

Noam Chomsky

Jo498

I think I prefer the ballets and other "lighter" music like the string serenade overall to Tchaikovsky's symphonies. Admittedly, I am not likely to listen to complete ballets often but I find them better suited to his colorful and emotional style than "serious" music.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 23, 2021, 08:13:54 PM
I've had fun by reading other interesting opinions. It's quite cool to notice how we concur with some works and we don't with others.

Indeed. And in that spirit, I do not find the thread upsetting at all.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 23, 2021, 08:02:17 PM
Quite curious that you mention piano concertos. I can understand the point about solo piano music. In this form I prefer large-scale works like sonatas, variations, suites, etc, but little-tiny pieces like, say, 36 preludes, 26 small pieces, 18 dances...  :-\

I don't find them substantial as a whole.

I think that the piano concerto is less problematic, due to the depth brought by other instruments. I confess that some of my feelings spring from my gut, and need tempering with maturity, patience, exploration and curiosity. The piano can obviously be utterly incredible, but I have less enjoyment of virtuosity than I do with strings or wind instruments. I was put off dreadfully by two Marco Polo CDs of Godowsky's piano pieces that as a keen young man, I thought might be interesting, but nearly killed me as I tenaciously explored in the hope of learning something. That poor experience has coloured my thinking unnecessarily, but ripples persist. I doubt I will ever really take to music that centres solely or primarily on the instrument, but never say never! I would be naive and foolish to allow the past to determine the future.

Rach 2 and Henze 2 (piano concertos) and Bax Piano Quintet are exceptions to the rule.

I am still learning.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 24, 2021, 12:22:39 PM
Indeed. And in that spirit, I do not find the thread upsetting at all.

I agree also. I rarely allow anything to upset me nowadays. Difference is great, even passionate difference. Apart from politics and culture wars. They wind me up massively if I let them. So I don't.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 21, 2021, 06:16:23 AM
Bach St. Matthew Passion
Berlioz Scène aux champs (I love the other movements of the SF)
Stravinsky The Firebird
Verdi Don Carlos
Beethoven Fidelio
Sarge,

Is it the French version (Don Carlos) that you don't enjoy, or the opera overall?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: foxandpeng on July 27, 2021, 03:18:38 AM
I think that the piano concerto is less problematic, due to the depth brought by other instruments. I confess that some of my feelings spring from my gut, and need tempering with maturity, patience, exploration and curiosity. The piano can obviously be utterly incredible, but I have less enjoyment of virtuosity than I do with strings or wind instruments. I was put off dreadfully by two Marco Polo CDs of Godowsky's piano pieces that as a keen young man, I thought might be interesting, but nearly killed me as I tenaciously explored in the hope of learning something. That poor experience has coloured my thinking unnecessarily, but ripples persist. I doubt I will ever really take to music that centres solely or primarily on the instrument, but never say never! I would be naive and foolish to allow the past to determine the future.

Rach 2 and Henze 2 (piano concertos) and Bax Piano Quintet are exceptions to the rule.

I am still learning. 

I agree also. I rarely allow anything to upset me nowadays. Difference is great, even passionate difference. Apart from politics and culture wars. They wind me up massively if I let them. So I don't.
You like Rach. 2?  Yeah!  ;D  I don't know Henze's music...will need to look into it.  And good luck with your piano explorations!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

One additional thought on the art of arranging......  I find it fascinating to see into the mind of the arranger as it throws light on how they in turn perceive the original work.  A prime example of this is the great Bach Chaconne.  I do understand if people feel it it musical desecration to 'tamper' with the original.  But there is a great Peters Edition publication which on the same page has the Bach solo violion alongside the piano accompaniments added by both Mendelssohn and Schumann.  For me it is a delight to see how those great composers viewed Bach - where the leading harmonies need reinforcing - the pointing of certain phrases.  Of course these do not supplant the solo work but for me they surely complement it.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 27, 2021, 03:29:56 AM
Sarge,

Is it the French version (Don Carlos) that you don't enjoy, or the opera overall?

PD

I don't like any of the versions. They just bore me.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

foxandpeng

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 27, 2021, 03:34:04 AM
You like Rach. 2?  Yeah!  ;D  I don't know Henze's music...will need to look into it.  And good luck with your piano explorations!

PD

Thank you! And yes, Rach 2 is great.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Brian

Quote from: foxandpeng on July 27, 2021, 03:18:38 AMI was put off dreadfully by two Marco Polo CDs of Godowsky's piano pieces that as a keen young man, I thought might be interesting, but nearly killed me as I tenaciously explored in the hope of learning something.
That is almost the worst possible introduction to piano music since Godowsky is 100% purely about showing off and being flashy and generally working out pianists' finger muscles. Oof that's unfortunate!

foxandpeng

Quote from: Brian on July 27, 2021, 06:48:19 AM
That is almost the worst possible introduction to piano music since Godowsky is 100% purely about showing off and being flashy and generally working out pianists' finger muscles. Oof that's unfortunate!

I am learning new ways of thinking, hopefully  :). I'm certainly benefitting from the wisdom and recommendations of this group.

Tolstoy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 27, 2021, 05:30:01 AM
I don't like any of the versions. They just bore me.

Sarge
Conversely, it's one of my favorite operas! lol  ;D  That's o.k. though.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: foxandpeng on July 27, 2021, 07:25:01 AM
I am learning new ways of thinking, hopefully  :). I'm certainly benefitting from the wisdom and recommendations of this group.
Have you tried any of Janacek's piano music?  On an Overgrown Path and In the Mists are two favorite works of mine (Note:  they are for solo piano).  Just a suggestion if you're in the mood to explore further.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter