Hive Mind > Competition > Isolation
0 (0%)
Competition > Isolation > Hive Mind
0 (0%)
Competition > Hive Mind > Isolation
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

greg

There are three ideologies for the new reality of the rebirth of the world.

If you could not pick none, and had to choose, then what is your priority? (you will be a part of this world too btw)

Isolation:      Everyone exists in their own world, away from others
Competition: Complete survival of the fittest in a world where everyone is aggressive
Hive Mind:    Everyone is on the same page but has no sense of self

Going for option 1, but would probably need to have more details to make a solid decision above option 5.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

André Le Nôtre

Quote from: greg on July 22, 2021, 04:10:57 PM
There are three ideologies for the new reality of the rebirth of the world.

I am not optimistic actually. I don't understand the options either. My top three would be:

Solitude/Peace/Nature: In general, getting away from people and into nature is the wind beneath my wings.

Self-Actualization: My work in science, writing, photography. Plenty of goals and projects to motivate, challenge my brain, and keep me busy

Hedonism: Food, wine/booze, music, travel, luxury items, and other natural zesty enterprises.

Aside from that, as I have aged, lost both parents, and survived a ton of crap: I have few axes to grind; there is no one I want to argue with; and I am not on a crusade to change the world.

greg

Those three would be my top three, but we're not talking about our utopia here.  :P

They are a from a game, Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne, there are three characters which you can either ally with or fight against. It's their utopia (which would be most people's dystopia). Whoever wins gets to form the rebirth of the world into it.

The question being which is the least desirable (in order)? (from bad to worst)

71 dB

This was surprisingly easy to answer:

Option 2: Isolation > Hive Mind > Competition
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Szykneij

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on July 22, 2021, 06:49:04 PM

I am not optimistic actually. I don't understand the options either. My top three would be:

Solitude/Peace/Nature: In general, getting away from people and into nature is the wind beneath my wings.

Self-Actualization: My work in science, writing, photography. Plenty of goals and projects to motivate, challenge my brain, and keep me busy

Hedonism: Food, wine/booze, music, travel, luxury items, and other natural zesty enterprises.

Aside from that, as I have aged, lost both parents, and survived a ton of crap: I have few axes to grind; there is no one I want to argue with; and I am not on a crusade to change the world.

All of what you posted sounds great to me. Wish we could meet for a beer (or a Dewars on the rocks)!

If I had to choose one of the required options, I'd have to go with #1. I wouldn't want to be a hermit, but I do enjoy my alone time -- especially if I still have the company of my Satos. And, while I don't see myself as an aggressive person, it's better than having no identity at all.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

greg

Quote from: Szykneij on July 23, 2021, 03:58:42 AM
All of what you posted sounds great to me. Wish we could meet for a beer (or a Dewars on the rocks)!
Yeah, for real, I was actually a little surprised at seeing these three, it really resonated.
It puts more simply, into just three terms, everything that I've realized over the years I've needed most of all, worded into a better way than how I've thought of it. (and for a lot of people these aren't the top three, i don't think)

Quote from: 71 dB on July 23, 2021, 01:14:19 AM
This was surprisingly easy to answer:

Option 2: Isolation > Hive Mind > Competition
Interesting to put Hive Mind second, it seems like it is the most opposite of Isolation.

It's last for me because your sense of self and your own dreams are dead, while the other two at least you have some hope. With isolation you just gotta hope the environment produces, with competition you have to fight for it- you'll probably die, but at least you got a chance.

André Le Nôtre

71 dB

Quote from: greg on July 23, 2021, 07:13:05 AM
Interesting to put Hive Mind second, it seems like it is the most opposite of Isolation.

It's last for me because your sense of self and your own dreams are dead, while the other two at least you have some hope. With isolation you just gotta hope the environment produces, with competition you have to fight for it- you'll probably die, but at least you got a chance.

It is only because I really really hate competition.

DavidW

Quote from: Szykneij on July 23, 2021, 03:58:42 AM

If I had to choose one of the required options, I'd have to go with #1. I wouldn't want to be a hermit, but I do enjoy my alone time -- especially if I still have the company of my Satos. And, while I don't see myself as an aggressive person, it's better than having no identity at all.

I would go with self actualization.  I like having projects and goals.  I always thought I was a solitude guy until 2020.  And I've experienced way too much hedonism which is good for in the moment but does too much harm long term.

André Le Nôtre

Gotta have some projects, goals, and even a little stress, especially after you retire... I have read for many years that people who retire and then just spend all their time watching TV or whatever tend to die pretty quickly! Then you look at some musicians who live to be really old--many conductors, pianists, Sonny Rollins is in his 90s and still playing. 

greg

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on July 23, 2021, 06:24:31 PM
Gotta have some projects, goals, and even a little stress, especially after you retire... I have read for many years that people who retire and then just spend all their time watching TV or whatever tend to die pretty quickly! Then you look at some musicians who live to be really old--many conductors, pianists, Sonny Rollins is in his 90s and still playing.
Yeah. If I didn't understand the need for working on personal projects and goals I might have been dead by 25 or so.  :D

What I've taken inspiration lately has been seeing old dudes that are fit in their 60's and up. Basically what I aspire to. One of my managers at work is like that, running all over the place, even doing competitions. Really cool.

Besides the physical aspect, there is a certain passiveness about sitting down all day channel surfing which is mentally unhealthy also. That will not keep people sharp. Challenging projects are what keep the brain sharp and healthy IMO, leading to longer life.

Quote from: 71 dB on July 23, 2021, 12:59:49 PM
It is only because I really really hate competition.
Ah ok gotcha.
I don't dislike it since I grew up somewhat involved in sports, but what I would hate most about the scenario I provided is the extremely high stakes and violence- huge turnoff. Competition is great and good fun when there's not much on the line.

71 dB

Quote from: greg on July 23, 2021, 07:28:25 PMAh ok gotcha.
I don't dislike it since I grew up somewhat involved in sports, but what I would hate most about the scenario I provided is the extremely high stakes and violence- huge turnoff. Competition is great and good fun when there's not much on the line.

Aggression doesn't sound fun to me. I have never liked competing against other people. Even winning feels akward. I just don't see the point. My personality type makes me think all people are equal and should be treated as equals. Competition divides people into winners and losers. People have their distinctive talent and different talents are appreciated differently creating yet another level of inequity. If you are really good at Football of driving F1, you can earn millions. If you are the best Curling player in the World not so much. How much attention do the Math Olympiads get? Competition is about attaching random value to someones abilities. A F1-driver can be a total jerk, but a millionaire nevertheless...

Szykneij

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on July 23, 2021, 06:24:31 PM

I retired last year. I've spoken with several other people who said they wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they retired. I still can't find enough time to do everything I'd like to, but it's nice not having the stress of having to do them.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

DavidW

Quote from: Szykneij on July 24, 2021, 03:22:55 AM
I retired last year. I've spoken with several other people who said they wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they retired. I still can't find enough time to do everything I'd like to, but it's nice not having the stress of having to do them.

Yeah if you look at Gurn his Haydn research is something that he wants to do not something that he needs to do.

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on July 24, 2021, 01:23:57 AM
Aggression doesn't sound fun to me. I have never liked competing against other people. Even winning feels akward. I just don't see the point. My personality type makes me think all people are equal and should be treated as equals. Competition divides people into winners and losers. People have their distinctive talent and different talents are appreciated differently creating yet another level of inequity. If you are really good at Football of driving F1, you can earn millions. If you are the best Curling player in the World not so much. How much attention do the Math Olympiads get? Competition is about attaching random value to someones abilities. A F1-driver can be a total jerk, but a millionaire nevertheless...
That's why sportsmanship is important. We used to go to the other team and high five all of them after every game, when I used to play basketball in my local league. No one likes jerks, sore losers or sore winners.

Personally, I'm not very big into comparing myself to others, probably why even PvP (player vs. player) in video games is not something that is very appealing, it's kinda just meh. So I kinda get what you mean by winning feeling awkward.... feels like "good job! but how much does it really matter?" It's much more fun to set personal goals and try to break them. Or to just be given tasks to complete. (self vs. self, or self vs. reality)

But generally, competition is not something that should be taken away, everyone needs a direction in life (a place to direct the energy of ambition) and it provides so much direction in so many subject areas, so many options. And would be boring to shoot hoops all day and never play any games, so many great memories having fun playing against others even if on the losing team.