Five Works That You Believe Depict Heartbreak

Started by Mirror Image, July 24, 2021, 07:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

This is obviously completely subjective (as are any poll of this nature), but I'm just curious what works do you feel depict heartbreak or perhaps even a sense of loss? In the title of this poll, I mentioned five choices, but you can go beyond this or whatever you feel like doing.

I'll try to think of a list in the meantime...

Sergeant Rock

Fauré Pavane (especially the choral version)
Mozart Pamina's aria Ach, ich fühl's, es ist verschwunden from Die Zauberflöte
Tchaikovsky Finale of the Sixth Symphony
Mahler last movement of the Tenth Symphony
Schubert String Quartet No. 13 in A minor
Schmidt Fourth Symphony

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Roasted Swan

Walton 1 - 1st movement
Zemlinsky - The Mermaid
Madama Butterly - closing scene
Boulanger - Pie Jesu
Suk - Asrael

relm1

Walton 1- 3rd movement
Mahler 6 - 2nd (or 3rd movement depending on order)
Mahler 9 - last movement
Tchaikovsky 6 - last movement
Prokofiev - R&J Romeo at Juliet's Grave

Symphonic Addict

Suk's Asrael and Schmidt's 4th are the best examples I can think of as well. For me, others are Madetoja's Symphony No. 2 and Howells's Hymnus Paradisi.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Suk: Asrael
Schmidt: Symphony 4
Moyzes: Symphony 7
Tchaikovsky: Pathetique
Bax: Symphony 2
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Here are my own picks and in no particular order:

Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No. 1 in A minor, Op. 77 (III. Passacaglia)
Martinů: Memorial to Lidice, H. 296
Sibelius: Symphony No. 4 in A minor, Op. 63 (III. Il tempo largo)
Mahler: Symphony No. 6 in A minor (III. Andante)
Pärt: Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten

And one more for good measure:

Tabakova: Cello Concerto (II. Longing)

André

Quote from: relm1 on July 25, 2021, 06:41:16 AM
Walton 1- 3rd movement
Mahler 6 - 2nd (or 3rd movement depending on order)

Mahler 9 - last movement
Tchaikovsky 6 - last movement
Prokofiev - R&J Romeo at Juliet's Grave
Elgar 2, 2nd movement
Schubert, sonata D959, 2nd movement

:)

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 26, 2021, 09:56:24 AM
Suk's Asrael and Schmidt's 4th are the best examples I can think of as well. For me, others are Madetoja's Symphony No. 2 and Howells's Hymnus Paradisi.
Yes, I think that the Madetoja, commemorating the death of his brother in the Finnish Civil War and the Howells's work commemorating the tragic death of his young son, are very relevant choices. Armstrong Gipps's Symphony No.3 'Westmorland' I think is another appropriate work - his best work, in memory of his son killed in the Second World War. Interesting thread idea:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Suk's Asrael was the first work that came to mind.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Strange as this sound, but I never thought Suk's Asrael Symphony sounded all that heartbroken. :-\

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 27, 2021, 07:46:09 AM
Strange as this sound, but I never thought Suk's Asrael Symphony sounded all that heartbroken. :-\

Same here. I find it contains more anger and defiance than heartbreak. Same with Vierne's op 42 quintet. Maybe it's a thin line between these various expressions of pain.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on July 27, 2021, 11:18:54 AM
Same here. I find it contains more anger and defiance than heartbreak. Same with Vierne's op 42 quintet. Maybe it's a thin line between these various expressions of pain.

I really should revisit the work, though, because I know it's been quite some time since I've heard it. And yeah, those lines are quite thin, indeed.

Florestan

Quote from: André on July 27, 2021, 11:18:54 AM
Vierne's op 42 quintet.

'I am constructing ... a Quintet of vast proportions, which will give full expression to my tenderness and the tragic destiny of my child ... The wild and furious energy with which I am tackling this task matches the depth of my grief, and I will make something powerful, grandiose and strong ... Perhaps one who has suffered every grief, every bitterness, every anguish, may be able to ease and console the sufferings of others—that is the role of the artist  ...'

Thus Louis Vierne on his Piano Quintet, dedicated to the memory of his only son, killed in WWI. A most moving work.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 27, 2021, 07:46:09 AM

It's because you mentioned in the first post that the work could also convey a sense of loss, so the Suk would be a perfect example.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 27, 2021, 08:24:17 PM
It's because you mentioned in the first post that the work could also convey a sense of loss, so the Suk would be a perfect example.

To further my opinion, I don't really hear a sense of loss either. ;)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 27, 2021, 08:28:56 PM
To further my opinion, I don't really hear a sense of loss either. ;)

Ah OK. Fair enough.  :)

Noam Chomsky

Iota

These spring to mind immediately:

Britten - Now the Great Bear and Pleiades (Peter Grimes)

Britten - From the Gutter (Peter Grimes)

Schnittke - Piano Quintet (rather specifically so, being written in memory of his deceased mother)

Mahler - Symphony 9 final movement

Schubert - just about any song from Winterreise

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot