What your top five funniest movies ever?

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, July 27, 2021, 06:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Not yet mentioned:

In The Loop

also:

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
Peewee's Big Adventure
The Kentucky Fried Movie
Amazon Women On The Moon
Elephant Parts

Roasted Swan

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 10, 2021, 01:42:35 AM
Not yet mentioned:

In The Loop

also:

Peewee's Big Adventure

In the Loop was good but not nearly as good as the original TV series for me.  Steve Martin definitely deserves a nod;

My ALL TIME FAVOURITE Steve Martin line(s);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spefM2OjKp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0CScFzp1o

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 10, 2021, 01:46:02 AM
In the Loop was good but not nearly as good as the original TV series for me.  Steve Martin definitely deserves a nod;

My ALL TIME FAVOURITE Steve Martin line(s);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spefM2OjKp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0CScFzp1o
I love the top one.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 27, 2021, 01:22:43 PM
Les Tontons Flingueurs
La Grande Vadrouille
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Le Dîner de Cons
Death at a Funeral (UK version)

Other worthy mentions : Planes, Trains & Automobiles -  Burn After Reading

Never got to see it, although I know it has a cult status.  I found our library had it, so I'll watch it tonight.  :)

bhodges

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 07, 2021, 06:29:00 AM
I see a lot of classics that would also make my list so I'll avoid any repeats. But I will add The Death of Stalin as one of the funniest, and honestly one of the best acted and brilliantly written films of the this century.

Another vote for The Death of Stalin, which I saw somewhat unexpectedly, without knowing much about it. (It was also one of the last movies I saw in an actual theater, before COVID.) It is the blackest of black comedies, with a great concept and cast -- and uproarious.

--Bruce

Brian

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 10, 2021, 01:42:35 AM
Not yet mentioned:

In The Loop

also:

Peewee's Big Adventure
The Kentucky Fried Movie
Amazon Women On The Moon
Elephant Parts

(I did mention In the Loop. :) It's great. And a career best performance for several of its actors, especially David Rasche.)

Papy Oli

Quote from: André on August 10, 2021, 05:28:13 AM
Never got to see it, although I know it has a cult status.  I found our library had it, so I'll watch it tonight.  :)

Oh André, you are in for a treat. Michel Audiard created so many cult lines for French cinema with this movie. I envy you in a way of seeing it for the first time.

Some people have seen it so many times, that probably 30 years after first seeing it, one got offered some Tontons Flingueurs slippers at his last Christmas (Bernard Blier on the left slipper, Lino Ventura on the right - pictures from the "kitchen scene" with the beetroot - it will make sense when you get to it :D)

On a side note, I expected a lot from The Death of Stalin... and it was a massive disappointment eventually  :-[
Olivier

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

LKB

Quote from: vandermolen on August 10, 2021, 01:05:54 AM
That reminds me of this one which I found very funny indeed. Fine performances from Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman, sending themselves up:

Galaxy Quest... definitely an honorable mention, equal parts parody and homage.

NGUNS,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

SimonNZ

Quote from: Brian on August 10, 2021, 06:26:00 AM
(I did mention In the Loop. :)

Ah, so you did. Apologies. I had jumped over the Death Of Sralin talk as for some reason that film didn't click with me the way it has with so many others.

vandermolen

Quote from: LKB on August 10, 2021, 08:43:44 AM

Galaxy Quest... definitely an honorable mention, equal parts parody and homage.

NGUNS,

LKB

Yes, indeed.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Carlo Gesualdo

Toxic Avengers
Hercules whit lou ferrinio
Short Circuits  2 (when the robot get pummel)
The godfather part 3
, because the only funny moment is when Sophia Coppola received a bullet , and she not super good actress, don't get me wrong I love the trilogy but the third one not so good  :laugh:

These are so bad there not comedy but super funny.

Real cult comedy
3 O'clock High vf 3h30 l'heure du crime
Heather'S whit Christian Slater
24 hours whit  Nick Nolte and Eddy murphy
Un Prince a New york whit Eddy Murphy also
Revenge of the nerds 1-2
(I'm the pot head of the lot, but aspire to be Gilbert, the mentor of the gang of nerds (cool films)

André

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 10, 2021, 06:42:56 AM
Oh André, you are in for a treat. Michel Audiard created so many cult lines for French cinema with this movie. I envy you in a way of seeing it for the first time.

Some people have seen it so many times, that probably 30 years after first seeing it, one got offered some Tontons Flingueurs slippers at his last Christmas (Bernard Blier on the left slipper, Lino Ventura on the right - pictures from the "kitchen scene" with the beetroot - it will make sense when you get to it :D)

On a side note, I expected a lot from The Death of Stalin... and it was a massive disappointment eventually  :-[

We watched it yesterday night !

Good visual gags and an abundance of sophisticated one-liners indeed. I watched it in the French version, but no french subtitles were available on this copy. They might have come in handy at times. There's a lot of parisian underworld slang from the era (1960s) I didn't get - or understood only a few seconds later. Sometimes humour is like the catch of the day: it doesn't travel well  ;D. The maniacal german in full machine gun delirium being carried away is a hoot !

I particularly enjoyed the acting of Blier (one of my favourite french actors) and Ventura is excellent, as always. I'm still trying to figure what the surprise cameo by Paul Meurisse in the wedding scene means. A clin d'oeil to the Monocle films perhaps ? I'll have to give it another go in a few months.

Papy Oli

Quote from: André on August 11, 2021, 10:27:35 AM
We watched it yesterday night !

Good visual gags and an abundance of sophisticated one-liners indeed. I watched it in the French version, but no french subtitles were available on this copy. They might have come in handy at times. There's a lot of parisian underworld slang from the era (1960s) I didn't get - or understood only a few seconds later. Sometimes humour is like the catch of the day: it doesn't travel well  ;D. The maniacal german in full machine gun delirium being carried away is a hoot !

I particularly enjoyed the acting of Blier (one of my favourite french actors) and Ventura is excellent, as always. I'm still trying to figure what the surprise cameo by Paul Meurisse in the wedding scene means. A clin d'oeil to the Monocle films perhaps ? I'll have to give it another go in a few months.

Hi André,
Glad you liked it. It is a silly movie in itself but the dialogues and Blier/Ventura just make any repeated viewing worthwhile. I have a particular affection for the butler. Yes Sir !!

You might be onto something regarding Meurisse. I have found this online :

À la fin du long métrage, les observateurs auront remarqué un homme avec un monocle noir venu saluer Lino Ventura. Il s'agit de Paul Meurisse, qui fait là un clin d'oeil au film Le Monocle noir, que Georges Lautner avait réalisé trois ans plus tôt. Cette comédie policière avait permis au réalisateur d'obtenir un grand succès commercial, et ses aventures avec Meurisse en agent secret plaisent tant au public qu'il leur donnera deux suites (L'Œil du monocle et Le monocle rit jaune).

Still by Lautner, you could try "Les Barbouzes" next, if you have not seen it. Still with Blier and Ventura. Not as good as Les Tontons but still a silly entertaining movie.

Oh, and there's Mireille Darc too 8)

Olivier

listener

Blazing Saddles
To Be or Not To Be (Lubitsch version with Jack Benny)
Some Like It Hot
There's Something About Msry
It's a Gift  (W.C. Fields)
worst attempt at a feature-length comedy: It's Pat!
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

LKB

Quote from: listener on August 12, 2021, 03:28:01 AM...
worst attempt at a feature-length comedy: It's Pat!

So I'm assuming that's a dishonorable mention?  :P
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

DaveF

"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

david johnson

Dr. Strangelove
The Producers (older version)
Some Like It Hot
Look Who's Back
Mad....World

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: david johnson on September 01, 2021, 11:13:18 PM
Dr. Strangelove
The Producers (older version)
Some Like It Hot
Look Who's Back
Mad....World
+1 for choices 1-3. Don't know the others.