Chopin Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Atriod

One of the best performances of Piano Sonata 3 I've heard:



I liked his op. 28 but this has surpassed even that. Impressive.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Alice Sara Ott: Tiny Desk Concert.




Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 08, 2023, 07:58:44 AMAlice Sara Ott: Tiny Desk Concert.



Thank you, I really enjoyed listening to that!  I'd heard of her before, but never heard any of her concerts nor recordings before now.  Also, Chilly Gonzales was a new name to me; I quite enjoyed his prelude and loved how she followed it up with Chopin's Raindrop prelude.  :)

PD

p.s.  Do you have any of either of their recordings Manabu (hope that I spelled your name correctly?)?
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 09, 2023, 01:59:25 AMThank you, I really enjoyed listening to that!  I'd heard of her before, but never heard any of her concerts nor recordings before now.  Also, Chilly Gonzales was a new name to me; I quite enjoyed his prelude and loved how she followed it up with Chopin's Raindrop prelude.  :)

PD

p.s.  Do you have any of either of their recordings Manabu (hope that I spelled your name correctly?)?


I don't have recordings of these works. But Ott's Chopin Waltzes album sounds good.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Valse No. 2 en Si Mineur, Op. 69 · Emmanuelle Swiercz-Lamoure.



Brian

For fans of somewhat faster Chopin:



To me the most successful performance here is the Barcarolle. That may be my personal taste: I have always wanted to hear the Barcarolle played at a slightly faster speed but with great lightness of touch, in the manner of a sung serenade. I'd like to imagine somebody in a gondola with a guitar singing passionate love tunes below somebody's window.  ;D Mertanen is almost that, his tempo is right (8:15) and he is often sensitive enough, but his piano gets clangy and loud and shrill from about 6:00-7:00.

Mertanen's Ballade No. 4 (10:23) doesn't sound fast or rushed; it's just somewhat matter-of-fact, and leaves out all the stopping and smelling roses that many pianists prefer. But his rather plain tone is unhelped by a rather glare-y acoustic - the two things together make for a lack of sensitivity. At big loud climaxes, there is almost an echo effect, not a typical reverb but like the microphones are so close that they're overloaded with sound.

He plays two impromptus - Nos. 2 and 3 - with a similarly plainspoken manner that suits the name "impromptu." The second half of the program is Sonata No. 3, which immediately makes a rather poor impression because of the close, glare-y acoustic of the CD. Most of the rest of the sonata comes off better than those harsh opening pages; the second subject really feels like a respite, the slow movement has poetic flow, the finale is as relentless as it's meant to be.

Overall, I'd say Mertanen is pretty seriously sabotaged by his acoustic here and it's hard to assess his pianism on its own terms. But he seems to be a fairly "classical" Chopin pianist, i.e. placing Chopin in the tradition of his predecessors and not introducing too much romantic syrup. Unfortunately this doesn't leave me likely to recommend his album - not sure how Sony downgraded its production so severely compared to the wonderful Sibelius box set.

Mandryka

#1686


Attention! Attention! Magnificent op 58 sonata from Irena Mejoueva.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

San Antone

By far my favorite recordings of Chopin's piano music is "The Real Chopin" box set, played on period pianos.


Que

Quote from: Mandryka on February 18, 2024, 06:50:49 AM

Attention! Attention! Magnificent op 58 sonata from Irena Mejoueva.

On a NY Steinway 1925...   :)

Mandryka

#1689


Really intense Chopin, totally "inhabited" by Kaoru Bingham and nicely recorded by Meridian   - just when you think the last thing you need is yet another performance of the preludes, you find you do! This is top T.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Waltzes by Kilenyi. Nice timing and touch.



Dry Brett Kavanaugh

#1691
Quote from: Mandryka on June 27, 2023, 09:05:37 AM

I firt came across Megumi Fujita on a recording of a late Tekemitsu piano trio called Between Tides. She brings some of that sense of expanded perceived time to the Chopin etudes. Once heard this recording cannot be unheard.


Unique performance. Restrained and jazzy. Beautiful rhythm. Salon-Chopin, maybe? It would be a very dark salon. I hear some oblique, dark beauty.

Mandryka

#1692
Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 14, 2024, 05:41:15 PMUnique performance. Restrained and jazzy. Beautiful rhythm. Salon-Chopin, maybe? I hear some oblique, dark beauty.


When I posted that I thought to myself that no one else would like it. She has a piano trio too, with some interesting sounding Schubert and Ravel.

Megumi was a student of Irina Zaritskaya - who recorded the Chopin preludes for Naxos. I sense the same classicism in their approach.  I like it! Wonderfully divisive amazon reviews - always a good sign.



https://www.amazon.com/Preludes-Variations-Brillantes-Frederic-Chopin/dp/B0000013MU#customerReviews
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on April 14, 2024, 11:25:12 PMWhen I posted that I thought to myself that no one else would like it. She has a piano trio too, with some interesting sounding Schubert and Ravel.

Megumi was a student of Irina Zaritskaya - who recorded the Chopin preludes for Naxos. I sense the same classicism in their approach.  I like it! Wonderfully divisive amazon reviews - always a good sign.



https://www.amazon.com/Preludes-Variations-Brillantes-Frederic-Chopin/dp/B0000013MU#customerReviews


Thought the same. Not many people may like Megumi's somewhat minimalistic, zen garden-like, approach. It may merely sound like a powerless performance to many listeners. Will check Irina.

aukhawk

Quote from: MandrykaI first came across Megumi Fujita on a recording of a late Tekemitsu piano trio called Between Tides. She brings some of that sense of expanded perceived time to the Chopin etudes. Once heard this recording cannot be unheard.

Quote from: Mandryka on April 14, 2024, 11:25:12 PMWhen I posted that I thought to myself that no one else would like it. She has a piano trio too, with some interesting sounding Schubert and Ravel.

Very nice, that Megumi Fujita recording.  Thanks for posting (I missed it 1st time around)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Enjoying the album today: