Brahms Chamber Music

Started by samtrb, April 29, 2007, 06:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Skogwald on May 07, 2024, 09:59:25 PMI've been listening to different recordings of the sextets lately. I find the Raphael Ensemble a bit too soft maybe?

Here are the ones I enjoy the most currently:

1. Hausmusik - The period strings give the music a different texture that I really like. The performance is much more dynamic than L'Archibudelli's.
2. Stuttgart Soloists - Just a very solid recording, no notes.
3. Talich Quartet - If you like your Brahms romantic and dramatic, this is the one to get. They play with a lot of conviction.

Then there's also the lovely recording of sextet no. 1 by Casals et al. It is surely one of the best, but unfortunately it is paired on disc with a version of Trio no. 1 that I don't really care for.

Your description of the Hausmusik recording sounds intriguing (I like L'Archibudelli's a lot and value the PI sound in this music). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be on Apple Music, so I'd have to spring for it.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 08, 2024, 08:49:58 AMYour description of the Hausmusik recording sounds intriguing (I like L'Archibudelli's a lot and value the PI sound in this music). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be on Apple Music, so I'd have to spring for it.

Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FoIgAmNY_U&list=OLAK5uy_k3mFy49XwVqIHDFvfHziuyVW815CxSxAg&ab_channel=HausmusikLondon-Topic
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen