The CD or LP worth a fortune alone (not box-set) in classical music?

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, July 29, 2021, 03:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

Someone on GMG said to me  The Mint Nicolas Gombert DE Pacem. on Lyricord is worth a fortune that it very rare, Lyricord only made a limited pressing of It for Spain, he said to me deprofundis if you don't lie that it's mint I could give you 400 U$ dollars, I said for one vynil, he said yes, what aboutthese singular CD or LP worth a fortune alone because limited pressing, Japanese pressing( I love Japanese pressing), or a bootleg?

Than someone might tell me , boy don't buy the bootleg there illegal, someone on side of the law, but what if the classical composer was against recording his music on a media, that the only way, to have a CD or an LP of this composer was via very expensive Bootleg.

What are a list of recording worth a fortune   like 500 to 1000$ or more, that are extremely hard to find, they were very limited when they came out and everyone whom purchase them keep it, no one are selling them, what CD or LP or always and still conceal of the public on EBay, Amazon or Discogs, you will have more chance finding a  four leaf clover than these record.

Do you have record like this at home, are there CD or LP worth a million square flush alone?

P.s What is the most Expensive Gesualdo LP or Monteverdi because the work is so rare or Masses, or limited pressing and very very old, like the first Gesualdo work put in vynil in Europa, I heard from an American former  WW2 G.I soldier that when he and his troops arrive in a WW2 Bunker, he found a rare 78'' of gesualdo Madrigal's of the 1930'' did this man lie,  the man told me I deceided to keep it has a war trophy, who recorded  and put on media the first 78'' of Gesualdo in Europe?

I know lots of question here , but they remain non answered, this post is for people who have extremely rare an extremely pricey LP or CD left alone, and wont to brag about it, they keep it in a safe, they fear someone in there entourage if they knew they have such record would try to steal it and sold them to Japanese, Germans or Italians, I name these three country because I seen on the market it doesn't seem to bother these three country rich folks to buy a rare LP or CD for a monstrous amounts of money?

P.s I am mad a bit because I purchase the Gesualdo LP Orange  first edition in america of Gesualdo team up on the other side whit Monteverdi of 1952 on Westminster record  thinking it's was the first time ever recorded Gesualdo, has a proud records nerd I like the first LP record of my composer, out of nerdom, I have the first Palestrina 1951 on Lyricord at least I have this GEM, I like antique LP ? or very very limited CD, whom record Jacquet of Mantua first and in LP I never seen in my like an LP record of this crucial composer of importance for sacred music whom influence Lassus and Palestrina(if I'm acurated)????

Don't blame me I'm a proud record Nerd I want the first of everything Lassus, Monteverdi, Goudimel, Tallis, ect, not to boost or brag to everyone and show up?

8)

André Le Nôtre

Some of the very high LP prices you see on eBay and elsewhere are money laundering, because, there is nothing but corruption. Follow that corrupt money and it likely flows to many of the large U.S.--and of course British--banks.

In any case, I am not too familiar with the market any longer; my holy grail recordings are hard to find but not worth all that much. In the past, certain titles in the RCA Victor Living Stereo series and the Mercury Living Presence Stereo series were worth serious money. Seemingly arcane details of the label, cover, pressing make all the difference in value. However, the most valuable ones were often the most bland of concert pops stuff like "Witches Brew". I never got too excited about most of these titles. My tastes really tend more toward old monos from the 50s.

Certain original pressings of various violinists can be listed (not sure about sold) for very high prices. Certain ORIGINAL pressings of Johanna Martzy, Georges Enesco, Guila Bustabo, Albert Spalding, Josef Szigeti, et al. discs can list for several thousand dollars each. A certain set (sorry) that lists for serious money is Mozart à Paris. I am not sure what that is about.

Some cylinders, gramophone records of early vocalists are supposedly worth a small fortune--Caruso on Fonotipia for example. These are not LPs of course.

Irons

The market for expensive LP records is led by the Far East. Bach adds a premium as do the violin and better still a female soloist. Put the three together $£.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

fbjim

For whatever reason there's a set of Eterna Beethoven LPs that go for four digit prices. I'm going to assume the Asian classical LP scene is a bit different than the US/UK one, because I tend not to see the stuff they like there-ie early Decca/EMI Columbia, or stereo RCA/Mercury stuff.

(I always feel vaguely dissapointed when a record shop actually knows how to price classical music - found a local one with a still sealed Mercury stereo copy of the Borodin Quartet doing Shostakovich from when Mercury recorded in the Soviet Union - unfortunately it wasn't one of the shops which threw all their classical stuff in the dollar bin! Had it at a princely $65- too rich for my blood)

geralmar

Quote from: fbjim on August 01, 2021, 07:10:53 AM

(I always feel vaguely dissapointed when a record shop actually knows how to price classical music - found a local one with a still sealed Mercury stereo copy of the Borodin Quartet doing Shostakovich from when Mercury recorded in the Soviet Union - unfortunately it wasn't one of the shops which threw all their classical stuff in the dollar bin! Had it at a princely $65- too rich for my blood)

You were wise to pass on that sealed Mercury L.P.  Mercuries, technically out of print, were nevertheless reissued into the 1970s on so-so vinyl.  (Look for red labels on the L.P.s).  I had a clutch, bought for $1.99 each, from record store cut-out bins.  I didn't worry about collector value-- just happy to have them.  I doubt there is any classical release, old or new, worth more than few dollars (at least in the U.S.).  Classical music is just too much of a niche market here.