What Are Your Favorite Snack Foods?

Started by Mirror Image, July 30, 2021, 07:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 01, 2021, 01:20:49 PM
Mac 'n cheese is a guilty favorite.  Don't have it often, but do enjoy it.  Found a recipe recently for a slightly healthier version which I intend to try this week (though I'll be using whole milk).  It calls for 2% milk and a 2-1 ratio of cauliflower to pasta to make it a bit healthier.  I'll provide a link to it...once I find it again!  ::)
Cool!

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 01, 2021, 01:20:49 PM
Your pre-made dish sounds yummy though I wonder what the salt, sugar and fat levels are like and how much 'strange' (meaning not natural) ingredients they put into it?  I do enjoy Buffalo wings though rarely eat them by the way.  :)
Lol this is not something I'd recommend people to eat regularly.
I can get away with it since I am limiting myself to one small guilty pleasure a day for a meal (~500 calories), besides that am eating a high protein/low calorie diet. The salt in frozen foods is the real concern IMO.   
But yeah, people, eat healthy!  ;D ;)
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vers la flamme

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

When I was a kid, this was always a favorite:

Black Forest was my favorite gummy bear bar none. I've tried the Haribo ones when I was little but I recall thinking they were just too hard. A little quirk of mine and this contradicts my complaint that the Haribo brand were too hard: I can only eat gummy bears that have been refrigerated. Yeah, I know, I'm an odd one. :D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 01, 2021, 02:21:00 PM

Sarge

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 01, 2021, 09:01:05 PM
These look like a similar product to one in the US:

Does anyone else here remember this scene from the t.v. show The West Wing (pardon, but the resolution isn't the greatest):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEaxho5kG04

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 01, 2021, 09:01:05 PM
These look like a similar product to one in the US:

I think the American version is the original. According to Wiki, Julia Child loved them so I'm in good company  ;D

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 02, 2021, 04:15:47 AM
Does anyone else here remember this scene from the t.v. show The West Wing (pardon, but the resolution isn't the greatest):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEaxho5kG04

PD

I've never seen the show. That's a funny scene  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 02, 2021, 05:15:03 AM
I think the American version is the original. According to Wiki, Julia Child loved them so I'm in good company  ;D

I've never seen the show. That's a funny scene  ;D

Sarge
They are addictive (the crackers).  :)

Was a big fan of the show back in the day.  Apparently, they started decorating the goldfish bowl with props/clues about (I believe it was) the current episode--what it would be about.  The props were added to the gold fish bowl.  I didn't catch this but just read about it when trying to find a clip of the episode.   ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 02, 2021, 05:15:03 AM

Sarge

Julia Child always scared me as a youngster and not much else has changed. :D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 02, 2021, 07:25:47 AM
Julia Child always scared me as a youngster and not much else has changed. :D
What about her did/do you find 'scary' John?

The more that I learned about her over the years, the more I came to admire her.  Still enjoy watching episodes of her on t.v....either alone or with people like Jacques Pepin.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

When I think of Julia Child it is impossible for me to not think of that snl skit!

https://youtu.be/eSxv6IGBgFQ

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 02, 2021, 07:39:34 AM
What about her did/do you find 'scary' John?

The more that I learned about her over the years, the more I came to admire her.  Still enjoy watching episodes of her on t.v....either alone or with people like Jacques Pepin.   :)

PD

I'm not sure exactly, but I think it's her mannerisms and the way she kind of looms over her guests as if she's about club them and drag them back to her lair to feed on them.  Whoops...I said too much already! :-X ;D

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 01, 2021, 07:41:59 AM
And I would take pistachios over cashews and almonds. :)

Depends on the source. A nearby shop sells really outstanding almonds in their "bulk" section, much better than I've found anywhere else, so those have become my favorite. They "bring them up from the (NY) city", but I don't know who the supplier is.
When I worked in the NYC area (financial industry), an old-time company named Bazzini (not sure they're still around*) used to visit various firms and sell jumbo bags of terrific pistachios, so I preferred those at the time.

*Looks like they are, but it's been so many years I can no longer vouch for quality.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on August 02, 2021, 07:07:07 PM
Depends on the source. A nearby shop sells really outstanding almonds in their "bulk" section, much better than I've found anywhere else, so those have become my favorite. They "bring them up from the (NY) city", but I don't know who the supplier is.
When I worked in the NYC area (financial industry), an old-time company named Bazzini (not sure they're still around*) used to visit various firms and sell jumbo bags of terrific pistachios, so I preferred those at the time.

*Looks like they are, but it's been so many years I can no longer vouch for quality.

Very nice, T. D.

mahler10th

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: John Copeland on October 01, 2021, 05:33:20 AM

I love a rough oatcake!
Do you like to put anything on them John?  And/or a favorite beverage with them?

I did used to love making oatmeal and raisin scones....yum!  Though I'm sure that they weren't nearly as healthy as yours!

PD

p.s.  Wish that I could find that recipe....no idea what happened to it.  :(
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

I don't eat much as regards snacks, hardly ever buy any chocolate, biscuits or sweets, but do have a weakness for these tiny müsli bars with a bit of apricot jam in them, and tend to bring them with me at work. A bag of around a dozen is around 1.7 Euros in my local supermarket, and they are very easy to carry around, even individually.

As regards salty and sweet snacks, I certainly like them, but am also trying to keep my weight down ...

Pure almonds are surely nice, but they tend to be expensive, they're also good with raisins.

I don't think I know any of the aforementioned mentioned ones.

Artem

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

They are, but I looked at the content, and wouldn't call them particularly healthy ... ;)