Classical composer of Greenland and Svalbard please I know nothing?

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, August 02, 2021, 09:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello nordic folk up there on GMG i want to know you're classical composers please ancient or modern music?

:)

MusicTurner

It's a limited subject, but from Greenland, there's Mads Lumholt. Best known work is 'Shaman'.

Greenlandish themes and motifs have been set to music by the classical composers Knudaage Riisager, Povl Rovsing Olsen, and Adrian Vernon Fish, likely others too.

Btw, Icelandic Jon Leifs has some spectacular music inspired by that island, its landscape and mythology too, of course. There's quite a bunch of other Icelandic composers as well.
And the Faroe Islands have a couple of fairly modern composers too, including Sunnleif Rasmussen and Kristian Blak.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I don't know about Greenland, but Svalbard/Spitzbergen doesn't even have a full-time human population, to say nothing of the infrastructure required to make classical music. So I doubt any composers have emerged from the place, unless polar bears have somehow figured out a way to make music.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

MusicTurner

I forgot to mention Nystroem's symphonic poem, Ishavet / The Arctic Ocean. It's got nothing to do with Inuit tradition, but it's an impressive piece.

Rasmus Lyberth is probably the most well-known, grand old man of Greenland's folk/pop/rock singing, going back to the 70s. The superb, left-wing Danish rock group Savage Rose has at least one Greenland-themed song, Inuit Nunat - Hvor er du? (Inuit land - where are you?).

There are many more, younger groups and singers I don't know anything about. A big rock-pop name from the Faroes is Teitur.

krummholz

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 02, 2021, 10:35:48 AM
Greenlandish themes and motifs have been set to music by the classical composers Knudaage Riisager, Povl Rovsing Olsen, and Adrian Vernon Fish, likely others too.

Reportedly, Vagn Holmboe sourced folk music from Greenland as well, though I have no idea in which works. I would not be surprised, though, as he took a keen interest in folk music from many lands, particularly in his early years.