Aldo Clementi (1925-2011)

Started by snyprrr, March 25, 2011, 03:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

With the passing of the Last Great Italian Avant-Garde Compser, Aldo Clementi, Boulez and Carter loom, once again, more concentrated than ever, as the only Living Composers left of the Great Generation. According to the Mode website, Roberto Fabbriciani relayed that Clementi passed on March 3. Has anyone heard anything in the MSN about this? Huh.

Clementi, for all intents and purposes, sounds like Late Feldman from the get-go. For anyone needing a further fix of all that there is to love in Late Feldman, without the excessive length, Clementi is their man.

I was introduced to Clementi through a great old Stradivarius disc, coupled with Roberto Nova. There are also discs on Ricordi and HatHut, and now there are 2-3 discs on Mode also!

Clementi truly is the Last of the Great Italians, as far as generationally. We still have Bussotti, and Sciarrino is bringing up the rear; but, it is obvious that an Era has passed (I know,... this all happened a while ago. Clementi's passing feels almost as a sigh of,... uhm,... not 'relief', but,... well,... haha, whatever ::)).

I know I'm due at least two posts here, haha. Sirs,...

snyprrr

Did I mention that Clementi sounds more like Feldman than Feldman? No one? :'( :'( :'(

lescamil

I suspect that most people here probably have the same problem as I do with Aldo Clementi. There just isn't enough of him out there. I have not heard enough of his music to formulate a true opinion on him, so I will go back and listen. Perhaps you could provide some YouTube links to some pieces we should check out?
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Luke

I've got just the one disc, the Hat one - I return to it often. Don't hear it connecting with Feldman hugely, it's too playful, strict and canonic for that, as opposed to Feldman's wonderful floating clouds, always the same and always subtly different. But I just love its mecurial glinting surfaces, and the way that the canon techniques isolate the unique properties of the phrase being worked over and then prolong it over the duration of the piece. That's one of the miraculous things about canon, and the way Clementi exploits it is captivating.

snyprrr

Quote from: Luke on March 26, 2011, 02:25:55 PM
I've got just the one disc, the Hat one - I return to it often. Don't hear it connecting with Feldman hugely, it's too playful, strict and canonic for that, as opposed to Feldman's wonderful floating clouds, always the same and always subtly different. But I just love its mecurial glinting surfaces, and the way that the canon techniques isolate the unique properties of the phrase being worked over and then prolong it over the duration of the piece. That's one of the miraculous things about canon, and the way Clementi exploits it is captivating.

Yes, his music has a fuzziness.

I'm surprised someguy or Petrarch haven't chimed in. Looks like we're it! ;)

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen