Famous people's preferred classical music

Started by Brian, August 04, 2021, 02:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 08, 2021, 06:05:35 AM
That's a shame.  :(

PD
Thanks PD - he was always listening to Sinatra and I was always listening to Vaughan Williams - I was astonished when I read about the connection:

'My two favorites are both from 1957, and demonstrate Sinatra's remarkable range. "Close To You" is one of Sinatra's least known albums, featuring the singer with just a string quartet, singing songs of lament and loss that retain a certain lightness and warmth that is harder to find in the harrowing, gut-wrenching releases, "Frank Sinatra Sings Only For the Lonely" (1958) and "No One Cares" (1959). "Close To You" reveals Sinatra's love for a classical sound; he loved classical music, especially Puccini and Ralph Vaughan Williams, and had a massive collection of classical music (he expressed disdain for rock music, but mellowed in that regard a bit in the late 1960s). The other favorite is "Come Fly With Me," which is packed to the brim with big brass, lush orchestra, and exotica, taking listeners on a veritable tour of the world, from the Isle of Capri to New York to Vermont to London to Paris to Hawaii to Brazil to...well, you get the point. So, in short, many years before the Beatles and the Who, Sinatra had already mastered the concept album, something that is part and parcel of prog music.'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 08, 2021, 11:19:26 AM
Thanks PD - he was always listening to Sinatra and I was always listening to Vaughan Williams - I was astonished when I read about the connection:

'My two favorites are both from 1957, and demonstrate Sinatra's remarkable range. "Close To You" is one of Sinatra's least known albums, featuring the singer with just a string quartet, singing songs of lament and loss that retain a certain lightness and warmth that is harder to find in the harrowing, gut-wrenching releases, "Frank Sinatra Sings Only For the Lonely" (1958) and "No One Cares" (1959). "Close To You" reveals Sinatra's love for a classical sound; he loved classical music, especially Puccini and Ralph Vaughan Williams, and had a massive collection of classical music (he expressed disdain for rock music, but mellowed in that regard a bit in the late 1960s). The other favorite is "Come Fly With Me," which is packed to the brim with big brass, lush orchestra, and exotica, taking listeners on a veritable tour of the world, from the Isle of Capri to New York to Vermont to London to Paris to Hawaii to Brazil to...well, you get the point. So, in short, many years before the Beatles and the Who, Sinatra had already mastered the concept album, something that is part and parcel of prog music.'
I keep an eye out for his albums, but the hard part for me is to find them in good shape.  :( 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter