Your Favorite Recordings of Bach's 6 Sonatas for Violin and keyboard

Started by Bulldog, April 22, 2010, 10:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selig

I like Schröder's violin playing a lot, and this is a pretty good set, easier to find than Schröder/Uittenbosch

This is the first time I hear an Icelandic harpsichordist. The Icelandic wiki article on Semball/harpsichord mentions her as a pioneer (brautryðjandi)

flywing

Glenn Gould & Yehudi Menuhin: BWV 1017 Allegro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boii0EA6hWo&t=229s

The first version I heard, got me really interested in Bach sonatas. Maybe it's nostalgia  :).

André

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on April 22, 2010, 09:51:25 PM
Ehnes/Beausejour.  Along with the fine playing there's the stunning recorded sound.

My sentiment as well. As close to perfect bliss as could be.

SonicMan46

Quote from: André on August 11, 2021, 11:18:45 AM
My sentiment as well. As close to perfect bliss as could be.

BOY - have not played these works in quite a while and still have the four sets owned earlier posting in this thread and shown below - seems like there are many personal preferences in these sonatas - Dave  8)

milk

I've said here before that the Rannou/Malgoire has a style that's different and it has a technique I find interesting. Zenaty/Tuma almost seem to go for the same technique. It also reminds me of of what Cummings/Butterfield did with CPE Bach. It's a kind of soft bowing.

milk

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on April 22, 2010, 09:51:25 PM
Ehnes/Beausejour.  Along with the fine playing there's the stunning recorded sound.
seems to have a lot Vibrato. I guess this is half-HIP? I wonder if I'm the only one who just can't adjust to this sort of thing.

Que

Quote from: milk on August 11, 2021, 09:50:42 PM
seems to have a lot Vibrato. I guess this is half-HIP? I wonder if I'm the only one who just can't adjust to this sort of thing.

You are not the only one...  :)

BTW The field seems rather over saturated now, even in purist period performances....

DaveF

Quote from: flywing on August 10, 2021, 06:01:01 PM
Glenn Gould & Yehudi Menuhin: BWV 1017 Allegro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boii0EA6hWo&t=229s

The first version I heard, got me really interested in Bach sonatas. Maybe it's nostalgia  :).

And you can see, as well as hear, Gould vocalising!  I first knew them from an old CBS LP set of Gould accompanying Jaime Laredo.  Not sure they'd be my first choice today, but a similarly nostalgic listen on YouTube, which seems to have them all.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on August 11, 2021, 11:02:30 PM

BTW The field seems rather over saturated now, even in purist period performances....

There's still lots of scope for musicians to explore violin and organ. And performances as trio sonatas, with three instruments. But the big thing, the thing which has hardly been explored at all, is to research 18th century ideas about the emotions associated with key signatures, and use that to inform the performance. (De Neve and Agsteribbe is an example)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on August 12, 2021, 08:34:37 PM
There's still lots of scope for musicians to explore violin and organ. And performances as trio sonatas, with three instruments. But the big thing, the thing which has hardly been explored at all, is to research 18th century ideas about the emotions associated with key signatures, and use that to inform the performance. (De Neve and Agsteribbe is an example)

Interesting, I identified the recording.
But I guess I have to listen to it, because the review below doesn't make much sense...
Slower slow movements, faster fast movements... is that all? ::) And that seems a more general trend anyway.
A Dutch review described the performances as "colourful" and and experimental, and "in your face".

https://earlymusicreview.com/j-s-bach-sonatas-for-violin-and-harpsichord/

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on August 12, 2021, 11:00:07 PM

Slower slow movements, faster fast movements... is that all? ::)

No of course not! Shayegh/Halubek have also tried to take some guidance from ideas about key signature and affect.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on August 12, 2021, 08:34:37 PM
I have a fear I'm going to end up asking the same questions and forgetting the answers as I get older. Like, I'm just going to end up in some kind of loop. Now, have there been recordings with organ for these works? Or was the the gamba sonatas? It's also a problem of streaming that I forget what I've heard and liked. I know I've heard something well done with organ.

Selig

Quote from: milk on August 13, 2021, 04:26:45 AM
Now, have there been recordings with organ for these works? Or was the the gamba sonatas? It's also a problem of streaming that I forget what I've heard and liked. I know I've heard something well done with organ.

Gester/Pierot and Nordstoga/Lotsberg, with the former being higher up the HIP scale

and for BWV 1027-1029 there's van Asperen/Bylsma, Boccaccio/Montero, maybe more

milk

Quote from: Selig on August 13, 2021, 04:48:12 AM
Gester/Pierot and Nordstoga/Lotsberg, with the former being higher up the HIP scale

and for BWV 1027-1029 there's van Asperen/Bylsma, Boccaccio/Montero, maybe more
ok. I was thinking of the Boccaccio.
How does the violin work fare with organ accompaniment? I'll try to locate it for streaming.
ETA: couldn't find it but what's this Edouard & Eichelberger? It's hard to get used the reverberation though. I feel like I'm at the back of the church.

Selig

Quote from: milk on August 13, 2021, 05:02:25 AM
Edouard & Eichelberger.

Didn't know it existed!

I think Gester/Pierot would be more to your taste - it's on Primephonic if you have that (there's a free trial) https://play.primephonic.com/album/00028947694861

It can be sampled on Spotify due to four of the tracks being included on those made-for-streaming compilations ("Summer Nights" and "Bach for a Spring Day" - I wonder if these are AI-generated - talk about oversaturation!)
https://open.spotify.com/album/4Q3x7ytp4aG8m62zlNvwVm?si=YFUxRrJuQUaK7WW91BYAVw&dl_branch=1

I don't know what arguments could be made for organ over harpsichord, personally I just think it's refreshing, texturally, to hear a different combination of instruments.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on August 13, 2021, 04:26:45 AM
I have a fear I'm going to end up asking the same questions and forgetting the answers as I get older. Like, I'm just going to end up in some kind of loop. Now, have there been recordings with organ for these works? Or was the the gamba sonatas? It's also a problem of streaming that I forget what I've heard and liked. I know I've heard something well done with organ.

Apart from the ones mentioned there's Ensemble SDG. There's a very extended discussion with me and Premont somewhere -- the Bach Chamber Music thread maybe.

Here, found it

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,1081.340.html