Your top 10 favorite female composers

Started by Symphonic Addict, August 15, 2021, 02:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 18, 2021, 04:35:49 AM
So from you Lili Boulanger fans, which of her works are your favorites?  And where do you suggest I start dipping my toes into?

PD
I'd recommend either of these CDs PD:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 15, 2021, 07:13:01 PM
There aren't that many female composers that 'speak' to me, but I do like the following a lot:

Grażyna Bacewicz
Lili Boulanger
Ester Mägi
Ruth Crawford Seeger

I'm definitely going to have to add Sofia Gubaidulina to this list now! Also, I need to become more familiar with Galina Ustvolskaya. I like her Piano Concerto a lot, but I know this isn't representative of the composer she became later on.

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 19, 2021, 07:43:55 AM
I'm definitely going to have to add Sofia Gubaidulina to this list now! Also, I need to become more familiar with Galina Ustvolskaya. I like her Piano Concerto a lot, but I know this isn't representative of the composer she became later on.

I'm a little surprised you latched on to Gubaidulina. I acknowledge her work is good, but have never fully gotten into it.

Regarding Ustvolskaya, there are some excellent Youtube videos of live performances with Reinbert de Leeuw (conducting and piano). I'd watch a few before shelling out for recordings.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on August 19, 2021, 07:55:27 AM
I'm a little surprised you latched on to Gubaidulina. I acknowledge her work is good, but have never fully gotten into it.

Regarding Ustvolskaya, there are some excellent Youtube videos of live performances with Reinbert de Leeuw (conducting and piano). I'd watch a few before shelling out for recordings.

Thanks. I'll definitely check more of her work out before buying anything.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 18, 2021, 04:35:49 AM
So from you Lili Boulanger fans, which of her works are your favorites?  And where do you suggest I start dipping my toes into?

PD

I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the Chandos recording of Faust et Helene.  It should have been sensational - but its not - its really not!  Bonaventura Bottone is SO SO SO the wrong voice.  Check out this version on YouTube;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFLkarwfcCU

Markevitch is EXCELLENT in this repertoire - the recording is adequate technically, the orchestra murky, the soprano often horrible BUT the tenor has the perfect voice for this music so everyhting else is forgiven.  After that check out this Markevitch disc which has appeared on various labels - EMI and Everest from memory;

The Pie Jesu - which she dictated to her sister on her death bed is heart breakingly beautiful with a very fragile child soprano singing.......

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 19, 2021, 08:14:27 AM
I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the Chandos recording of Faust et Helene.  It should have been sensational - but its not - its really not!  Bonaventura Bottone is SO SO SO the wrong voice.  Check out this version on YouTube;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFLkarwfcCU

Markevitch is EXCELLENT in this repertoire - the recording is adequate technically, the orchestra murky, the soprano often horrible BUT the tenor has the perfect voice for this music so everyhting else is forgiven.  After that check out this Markevitch disc which has appeared on various labels - EMI and Everest from memory;

The Pie Jesu - which she dictated to her sister on her death bed is heart breakingly beautiful with a very fragile child soprano singing.......
The Markevitch is unfortunately very expensive.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

I was able to find a copy of the Chandos one which Jeffrey recommended, so I'll start there....after I work my way through a pile of other CDs acquired earlier!  ::)  But thank you RS for the added rec!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 20, 2021, 03:19:43 AM
I was able to find a copy of the Chandos one which Jeffrey recommended, so I'll start there....after I work my way through a pile of other CDs acquired earlier!  ::)  But thank you RS for the added rec!  :)

PD

Despite RS's reservations I hope that you enjoy the CD PD.

MusicTurner

Quote from: T. D. on August 19, 2021, 07:55:27 AM

Gubaidulina's piano works tend to be quite catchy, especially the Bis recording IMO. Most of her music requires some time getting acquainted with it. The early Piano Quintet is quite shostakovichian, but not typical. Her 3rd Violin Concerto 'Ich und Du' will see a premiere release later this year.