Composers whose legacy will grow

Started by Kullervo, August 26, 2007, 06:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kullervo

What composers of today will people be talking about in 100 years? Is there anyone you feel that has created art that will last well after their lifetime?

I nominate Per Nørgård as someone whose legacy will only grow as time wears on. Nørgård's music posesses a depth of expression that hasn't been seen since the beginning of the 20th century. The balance he strikes between chaos and order reflects to me a musical language influenced by an ever-optimistic worldview, and seems to be very relevant to our modern times. Sergiu Celibidache himself said of Nørgård, "Only the mind of a new time in the new millennium will be able to understand the scope of Nørgård's music." I'm inclined to agree.

btpaul674

I agree completely with Norgard.

I also nominate Einojuhani Rautavaara.

Grazioso

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

greg

i also agree with Norgard.  :)
as for other composer.... hm, i think the only minimalist composers whose legacy will grow is John Adams. After that, others: Saariaho, Lindberg, Penderecki, Ligeti, to name a few.... and probably Rautavaara, though i haven't heard much of his stuff

Haffner

greg

Quote from: Haffner on August 26, 2007, 09:54:43 AM
I like Dr. Karl.
me too!
i've seen the future............

and good things are in store for Mr.Henning  8)

greg

oh yeah, not to mention that Schoenberg will become a household name in 100 years, alongside Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, and Tchaikovsky......

it's a process that developed which is hard to explain but..... eventually pop music realized that it all sounded the same and couldn't make up anything new, so it looked back to Schoenberg and pop music became atonal  0:) 0:) 0:)

Haffner

Quote from: greg on August 26, 2007, 10:00:40 AM
oh yeah, not to mention that Schoenberg will become a household name in 100 years, alongside Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, and Tchaikovsky......

it's a process that developed which is hard to explain but..... eventually pop music realized that it all sounded the same and couldn't make up anything new, so it looked back to Schoenberg and pop music became atonal  0:) 0:) 0:)

I agree here. Also, I realize that Schnittke isn't necessarily "today", but I feel that his Viola Concerto, late Symphonies, and String Quartets will be very highly regarded in the future.

greg

and in the future, there will be old ladies who are disappointed if "their" Schnittke isn't played

Kullervo

Quote from: greg on August 26, 2007, 10:13:34 AM
and in the future, there will be old ladies who are disappointed if "their" Schnittke isn't played

Schnittke becomes salon music? Salon music makes a comeback? Will we have another fin de siècle period? ;D

greg

Quote from: Corey on August 26, 2007, 10:25:33 AM
Schnittke becomes salon music? Salon music makes a comeback? Will we have another fin de siècle period? ;D
it's a lot more complex than you will ever imagine  :o

Kullervo

greg

Kullervo

greg

Quote from: Corey on August 26, 2007, 01:01:40 PM
Okay, why do you think so?
i don't know, i just took a wild guess, is it right?

longears

Kullervo

Quote from: greg on August 26, 2007, 01:02:30 PM
i don't know, i just took a wild guess, is it right?

Don't be an ass.

not edward

Amongst the recently (last 20 years) deceased, Ligeti and Lutoslawski are I think likely to become mainstream, as I think will some Feldman.

Composers whose profile may rise: Ustvolskaya, Scelsi and Nono, all very distinctive personalities who pushed musical limits.

I don't like making judgement calls on living composers, so I won't. ;)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Kullervo

Quote from: edward on August 26, 2007, 02:23:23 PM
Composers whose profile may rise: Ustvolskaya, Scelsi and Nono, all very distinctive personalities who pushed musical limits.

I don't know... they seem too ascetic to really be acknowledged by more than a devoted few. I myself find Ustvolskaya painful to listen to, but that says more about me than about her.  :)

not edward

Quote from: Corey on August 26, 2007, 02:36:42 PM
I don't know... they seem too ascetic to really be acknowledged by more than a devoted few. I myself find Ustvolskaya painful to listen to, but that says more about me than about her.  :)

I wouldn't expect any to become mainstream, but they have pretty much no profile right now (at least compared to the Boulezes and Stockhausens of the world) and I don't think that'll remain the case.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music