Music you used to listen to often but not anymore

Started by Uhor, August 20, 2021, 01:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uhor

I used to listen to the whole cycle of Sibelius Symphonies pretty often. It was the first composer I really got into.
Years later I find myself only listening to Symphonies No.5-7 and occasionally No.4, The Oceanides and Luonnotar.
Never quite understood the Tapiola hipe. Yes there are interesting modern textures and atmospheres in there but the themes are so simple and dull I don't even find what it is done to them interesting.

I used to listen to a lot of Ravel, specially the String Quartet, Introduction et allegro, Daphnis et Chloé and L'Enfant et les Sortilèges. I now almost exclusively listen to Trois poèmes de Stéphane Mallarmé.

Ligeti, same thing. The whole of his "cluster" works were on my regular listening but now I resort to occassional listening. Never quite accepted his change of style and what accounts to a harmonic simplification for the sake of rhythmic invention.

Wagner has become an occassional indulgence, Das Rheingold I still hear as fresh as the first time and the Tristan prelude the strongest though perhaps that one (despite all its modernity) shows it's age the most.

Tchaikovsky
is out of my listening altogether, so is Dvorak.

I could go on how my listening habits change over time towards clearer non-romantic soundscapes (though with rich harmonies still seductive to the ear) but I guess you can extrapolate by now.

Holden

When I first started collecting CDs (I already had an extensive LP collection) choice was nowhere as wide as it is now. Also, I wanted to replicate what I had on LP with this new medium and basically had to wait until it was released. For example, it took a while for the Cluytens/BPO LvB to become available. The same for a lot of my Chopin, Schumann, etc. What was released initially were the warhorses, many of which I did not have in LP form so I decided to sample them. My first CD was HvK conducting Tchaikovsky Ballet Suites, very enjoyable for the first few listens but it soon grew to be passe.

So early on I bought Barbirolli's Peer Gynt (with vocals), Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, The Brandenburgs, Grieg PC and so on. I mention these because I've not listened to any of them in years.

Something might prompt me in the future to relisten to some of these. They are all quality performances of enjoyable music.
Cheers

Holden

Karl Henning

John Williams. When Star Wars was new, I bought the double-LP of his music. At least, I think it was a double. I never go out of my way to listen to his music outside of its cinematic context.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

krummholz

Let's see... I used to listen to RVW all the time. Now, very very rarely.

71 dB

When I got interested of classical music some 25 years ago I was into such composers as Rachmaninov (Piano Concerto No. 2), Chopin (Piano Concertos), Mussorgsky (Pictures at an Exhibition & A Night on the Bare Mountain) and Sibelius (Symphonies 2 & 7).

While exploring classical music more and finding new composers and works, I lost most of my interest in these mentioned composers and works. I even developed some kind of allergies to the music of Sibelius and Rachmaninov! :( Chopin and Mussorgsky I still like, but I almost never listen to their music anymore.

The bigger my classical music collection grew, the harder it is to revisit a certain composer or work. Also, nowadays I listen to music much less than I used to years ago.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 20, 2021, 05:05:36 PM
John Williams. When Star Wars was new, I bought the double-LP of his music. At least, I think it was a double. I never go out of my way to listen to his music outside of its cinematic context.

John Williams' music of course works best with the movies, but I think for movie music it holds up well even by itself. Try for example the soundtrack album for the movie Minority Report.

My friend once said nicely that movie soundtracks are souvenirs of movies. Nowadays when it is so much easier to watch movies with great quality at home movie soundtracks are less important. Why listen to the Star Wars soundtrack album, when you can watch the damn movie! In 2K or even 4K!

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 20, 2021, 05:05:36 PM
+1, although today I did listen to his fine score from 'Saving Private Ryan'.

Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra
Ravel: piano concertos
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DavidW

Vivaldi and Faure.  It is not that I've become disinterested, it is because they've been crowded out and I also just don't spend as much time listening to music as I used to.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on August 21, 2021, 06:08:48 AM
Vivaldi and Faure.  It is not that I've become disinterested, it is because they've been crowded out and I also just don't spend as much time listening to music as I used to.

This is always disappointing to read. :-\ You must not have a lot of free time these days.

VonStupp

As a younger man, I listened to a bit of kitschy classical music, along the lines of Ferde Grofé and Don Gillis, but I find I don't do that anymore. Maybe it was a beginner's listening stepping stone. I might include Michael Daugherty into this idea, but when Naxos releases his music, I generally give it a listen.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on August 21, 2021, 03:03:07 AM
John Williams' music of course works best with the movies, but I think for movie music it holds up well even by itself. Try for example the soundtrack album for the movie Minority Report.

My friend once said nicely that movie soundtracks are souvenirs of movies. Nowadays when it is so much easier to watch movies with great quality at home movie soundtracks are less important. Why listen to the Star Wars soundtrack album, when you can watch the damn movie! In 2K or even 4K!

Minority Report was certainly solid work on Williams's part
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 21, 2021, 06:12:22 AM
This is always disappointing to read. :-\ You must not have a lot of free time these days.

For me it is not the amount of free time, but Youtube  ??? . There is no time for music that much when Jack Vincent releases a video where he taste tests Finnish long drinks or Photonicinduction tortures a running belt with excessive voltage or Michael Penn has released a new math video or Natemares has a new "Conan O'Brian in Finland" reaction video (Nathan must be the best laugher in the World, at least in Canada!) or Tom Green eats lettuce on busy street or Kyle Kulinski vents about social media censorship and that is only a very small fraction of what I watch on Youtube. Music theory videos, music production videos, urbex videos, liminal spaces... ...sometimes even cat videos! It is a miracle I have any time for music listening anymore!

71 dB

Spotted Horses

Middle period Beethoven (5th Symphony, etc). Now I rarely listen to anything but Late Beethoven (mostly string quartets and piano sonatas, 8th symphony).
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on August 21, 2021, 06:50:49 AM
For me it is not the amount of free time, but Youtube  ??? . There is no time for music that much when Jack Vincent releases a video where he taste tests Finnish long drinks or Photonicinduction tortures a running belt with excessive voltage or Michael Penn has released a new math video or Natemares has a new "Conan O'Brian in Finland" reaction video (Nathan must be the best laugher in the World, at least in Canada!) or Tom Green eats lettuce on busy street or Kyle Kulinski vents about social media censorship and that is only a very small fraction of what I watch on Youtube. Music theory videos, music production videos, urbex videos, liminal spaces... ...sometimes even cat videos! It is a miracle I have any time for music listening anymore!

Hah, well I've done my best not to get sucked into the YouTube vortex, because I have more reverence and love for music than I do YouTube. I do think YouTube can be a useful tool for finding documentaries on music or on a composer that you just can't buy online or stream from Netflix or something. YouTube is also great for sampling a recording that I'm considering buying. It is an excellent resource, but one has to realize that there's just so much junk on it, too, and this junk isn't worth my own time. But that's just my own perspective.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 21, 2021, 08:00:13 AM
Hah, well I've done my best not to get sucked into the YouTube vortex, because I have more reverence and love for music than I do YouTube. I do think YouTube can be a useful tool for finding documentaries on music or on a composer that you just can't buy online or stream from Netflix or something. YouTube is also great for sampling a recording that I'm considering buying. It is an excellent resource, but one has to realize that there's just so much junk on it, too, and this junk isn't worth my own time. But that's just my own perspective.

I'm a Youtube junk junkie!  0:) I didn't watch Youtube hardly at all before about 2015. That's when I happened to find really interesting stuff on there and realized what a cornucopia it is. There is tons and tons of "junk" for everybody's taste. I don't watch much TV and I certainly don't subscribe to streaming services such as Netflix.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 21, 2021, 07:18:06 AM
Now I rarely listen to anything but Late Beethoven (mostly string quartets and piano sonatas, 8th symphony).

I'm the opposite: I rarely listen to anything but early Beethoven or those middle and late works which are untypical of their period. I cannot stand anymore the grand, heroic, in-your-face-revolutionary, don't-even-bother-anymore Beethoven. The odd-numbered symphonies, for instance, are anathema to me --- I instantly turn off the car radio, or change the channel, whenever they are broadcasted by the Romanian classical music station (which incidentally is one of the best of their kind worldwide). The Seventh in particular gets this treatment --- to think that 30 years ago it was my favorite piece of music by anyone ever...  Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis.  :)

Btw, the 8th symphony is very untypical. It displays in full that "serene gaiety" which Thomas Mann in The Buddenbrooks marked as a distinctive feature of the 18th century.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: 71 dB on August 21, 2021, 08:19:10 AM
I certainly don't subscribe to streaming services such as Netflix.

Your loss, buddy. Netflix is great.