Posting for the first time in 8 years - thought I'd reintroduce myself

Started by classicalgeek, September 01, 2021, 10:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicalgeek

Hello everyone!

My name is James, and I live outside Seattle, WA, USA. I was active on this forum for a while from 2012-2013, but life got in the way - I pursued other creative interests (I even tried writing a novel, a pursuit I might return to), and work and family life got exceptionally busy. Of course, I never lost my passion for classical music, even if there was less time to listen to it.

My wife and I separated about a year ago, though, and I've found myself with more time on my hands! And moving my stuff out of the house meant dealing with the eight boxes of CDs I'd packed up years ago (about 600 or 700 discs, just a bunch of odds and ends and curiosities, not a lot of basic repertoire - I sold off most of those discs.) I started cataloguing them, intending to sell them dirt-cheap. I've been getting my music exclusively through downloads and streaming for years, and that was good enough. Right?

Then I put a disc on, for old time's sake, and I realized what I'd been missing. The depth and breadth of sound. Flipping through the accompanying booklet. The experience of just sitting and listening, without a thousand distractions. Around the same time, I discovered David Hurwitz's YouTube channel (and I know he rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but I find him entertaining and knowledgeable, even if I sometimes disagree with him on which performances are the best), and I knew it was only a matter of time before I took the plunge into CD collecting (again!) And now that I have some money of my own (and not under someone else's watchful eye), why not? Life is short - we should do things that bring us joy!

I've also dipped my toe into writing music again - it's been over 20 years since I completed a piece! I've been entering a lot of my old compositions into Sibelius, and of course I got the composing bug again. Progress has been slow, but steady. Perhaps I'll share some stuff, old and new, on the 'Composing and Performing' thread.

It's so nice to see a lot of the same people the forum who were here when I was last active - it's kind of like a little family!

I hope everyone's doing well - it's good to be back. I'll see you around!

James
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

david johnson

Welcome back!  You mentioned writing - my first novel is at the publisher and scheduled to come out this fall.  My wife's second is coming out Sept. 15.

Holden

Cheers

Holden

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

foxandpeng

Hi James

Glad you have decided to start posting again :). I spent about 5 years reading the forum every week as a guest, after having a short break away and forgetting my password, but took the plunge in beginning to interacting a few months ago. I'm glad I did :)

Look forward to reading your thoughts

:)
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Jo498

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 02, 2021, 05:24:50 AM
Glad you have decided to start posting again :). I spent about 5 years reading the forum every week as a guest, after having a short break away and forgetting my password
Something similar happened to me twice but it was a few months each time only and I was able to keep my name and identy...

If I remembered the words (besides "Viva la liberta!") I'd quote the first Don Giovanni Finale to welcome everyone back to the party.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mirror Image

classicalgeek

Quote from: david johnson link=topic=31145.msg1390856#msg1390856
Welcome back!  You mentioned writing - my first novel is at the publisher and scheduled to come out this fall.  My wife's second is coming out Sept. 15.
That's really great! What genres do you (and your wife) write? Writing a book is quite a process! I'm attempting a romance novel, of all things! (an M/F romance told from the male POV - both of my main characters are orchestra musicians!) But I've set it aside for now... I've been working on it for about three years, it's not going anywhere...

Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I look forward to diving back in - I love how knowledgeable and passionate everyone is. I just ordered by first CD in nine years (actually, 28 of them), the Colin Davis Symphony Set on Decca! I'm trying to build my basic repertoire on CD again, and these artist and conductor big boxes make it easier than ever.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

André

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Hello James!

I haven't been here that long, so I'm afraid that I am unfamiliar with your musical tastes, etc., but it's nice to meet you!

PD