Hi All!

Started by Simon Moon, October 21, 2021, 09:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Moon

Brand new member here. I belong to other music, and classical music forums.

Hopefully I am not the odd person out here, but my tastes in classical music tends to be only 20th century (mostly post 1950's) up through the current era.

I like it 'thorny' sounding.

My knowledge of theory is very rudimentary, and my only experience playing an instrument, is a drum kit. I used to play pretty basic rock in cover bands. I was passable.

Besides classical, I am a big fan of progressive subgenres of jazz (post bop, modal, avant-garde, fusion, chamber jazz), and progressive music in the rock purview (avant-prog, Zeuhl, chamber-prog, technical-metal, prog, Canterbury).

The attributes of the various types of music I love have in common are: very high level of musicianship, complexity, deep and broad range of emotion conveyed, (usually) long forms.

bhodges

Hi Simon, and welcome. You're definitely not the odd person out! Quite a few folks here are big fans of 20th and 21st-century works (including me), and you're likely to find people who share your jazz and rock interests as well.

In any case, have a good time!

--Bruce

John Copeland

Welcome Simon.
Lets hope for plenty of thorny-ness!  I'm looking forward to hearing what you hear, whether I like it or it knocks me daft instead!  :-X ;D

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Welcome Simon.  Always great to see new members.  :)

DaveF

Welcome from me too!

Quote from: Simon Moon on October 21, 2021, 09:30:05 AM
Besides classical, I am a big fan of... progressive music in the rock purview (avant-prog, Zeuhl, chamber-prog, technical-metal, prog, Canterbury).

I very much like the last two genres myself (although find a lot of Canterbury a bit too unamusingly whimsical), but would welcome any recommendations in the others - never heard of chamber-prog; Zeuhl - is that CAN?
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

david johnson

Greetings, and welcome among us  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Hello Simon!  And welcome to the forum!

PD

Papy Oli

Hello and Welcome, Simon !
Olivier

foxandpeng

Quote from: Simon Moon on October 21, 2021, 09:30:05 AM
Brand new member here. I belong to other music, and classical music forums.

Hopefully I am not the odd person out here, but my tastes in classical music tends to be only 20th century (mostly post 1950's) up through the current era.

I like it 'thorny' sounding.

My knowledge of theory is very rudimentary, and my only experience playing an instrument, is a drum kit. I used to play pretty basic rock in cover bands. I was passable.

Besides classical, I am a big fan of progressive subgenres of jazz (post bop, modal, avant-garde, fusion, chamber jazz), and progressive music in the rock purview (avant-prog, Zeuhl, chamber-prog, technical-metal, prog, Canterbury).

The attributes of the various types of music I love have in common are: very high level of musicianship, complexity, deep and broad range of emotion conveyed, (usually) long forms.

Welcome! You are very much not alone in your likes :). I can do without the jazz, personally, but most of the rest is a plus! Look forward to reading your contributions...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard! I've seen you on another forum many times. I hope you like it here at GMG. We've got a wonderful community of knowledgeable and friendly people.

vandermolen

A warm welcome from me too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SimonNZ

Welcome.

I think i remember you from another forum I haven't visited in some years now,