Author Topic: David Hurwitz  (Read 47722 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Jean Sibelius (1865 - 1957)
  • Currently Listening to:
    19th Century through the 21st Century
Re: David Hurwitz
« Reply #660 on: August 28, 2021, 06:37:06 PM »
Just watched the Hurwitzer's Music Chat: Really BAD Symphonists (1) Kurt Graunke and then listened to Graunke's Seventh Symphony, the first movement. And god help me, I liked it! Proving what?...that either I have really bad taste or that Hurwitz grossly exaggerates. Still too early to come to a conclusion. I need to listen to more of his music before deciding.

Sarge

I mean the fact that he centered an entire video around someone being a ‘bad’ symphonist is reason enough to give them a listen. People seem to hang on his every word and take what he says as gospel, which Andre rightfully pointed out. I can imagine the next video will be him on a ledge somewhere holding a list of “the do’s and don’ts of classical music listening” where a crowd of people are just looking at him with a glazed, empty look on their face and then he receives thunderous applause when he’s done reading the list. ;D
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

Offline flyingdutchman

« Reply #661 on: August 28, 2021, 09:32:40 PM »
It got a very positive review from Dentley Hunt at Fanfare ("Santa Fe Listener" to those who remember his Amazon reviews.  He is IMO Fanfare's worst writer.) 

"Without a doubt this performance rises to the top tier of Mahler Sevenths on disc."

I was very impressed with Kirill Petrenko's Suk recordings on CPO.

It's Huntley Dent.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #662 on: August 28, 2021, 10:06:36 PM »
Hurwitzism has become a cult.

Around here anti-Hurwitzism is well on its way to the same status.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #663 on: August 28, 2021, 11:17:52 PM »

A cult needs a leader - "anti-Hurwitzism" is simply a shared opinion.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #664 on: August 29, 2021, 01:23:28 AM »
Lol. Right, so when people share an opinion with Hurwitz it's a "cult", though?

I feel an irregular verb coming on. You mindlessly agree with someone, I independently happen to share an opinion with another person...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 01:29:27 AM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DavidW

« Reply #665 on: August 29, 2021, 05:18:52 AM »
The clip of that 9th symphony posted in another thread made me listen with interest. And yet when you read the YT comments all there is is deference for Hurwitz’ taste  ::) and omniscience. Practically everybody write that they certainly won’t listen to Graunke… ???.  Hurwitzism has become a cult.

That is an artifact of the YouTube algorithm.  It is really good at presenting to viewers only what aligns with their interests and opinions.  And then his videos are so long if you're not a fanboy you're not going to watch them (I know I don't).  What is sad is that most of those commenters will not support him by paying the small subscription fee at Classics Today.

Offline hvbias

« Reply #666 on: August 30, 2021, 01:38:55 PM »
I do apologize if my cheeky post caused any offense or annoyance; I assure you that despite my irreverent tone, it came from a place of concern. I mean, the poor guy can barely open his eyes, and from what I understand ptosis is an easy fix if myogenic/age related.

None of the MDs I work with care about music at all—it's cool to see a practicing doctor who's passionate about classical music.

P.S. Not sure what the last eye finding you're thinking of is with MS; nystagmus, with complaint of diplopia, perhaps?

Woops, sorry just seeing this now. I'm not sure what I was thinking of then, I thought it was something CN III/IV/VI or PPRF related.

I don't know any people that are into classical music, I know several people I worked with or currently working with that are big music fans, usually the music they grew up with; U2, Stones, Beatles, etc. I'm the youngest among my partners so this is all music of another era for me. One of my friends in another field was a huge Phish fan and planned his vacations around seeing as many shows as he could.

That is an artifact of the YouTube algorithm.  It is really good at presenting to viewers only what aligns with their interests and opinions.  And then his videos are so long if you're not a fanboy you're not going to watch them (I know I don't).  What is sad is that most of those commenters will not support him by paying the small subscription fee at Classics Today.

I'm not a fanboy but I listen to them all the way through. One of my car's screaming natural flat-6 plus tire/road noise is too loud to listen to music in  ;D I used to listen to Boston sports radio but you can really only take so much whining from entitled Boston fans despite 20 years of probably the greatest sports success in the entire world.

I might have posted this when his channel first started; for me the main benefit of his channel is learning about new recordings. Most online forums are filled with people discussing the same oldies over and over, it's like people got stuck with their record collection of the 70s and never moved on. GMG is much better in that regard. I like Hurwitz's attitude that classical music didn't die off decades ago. I've never made a blind buy based off what he or most other people have said. I have streamed some of what was new to me and disagreed with him about as much as I've agreed with him, so the usual coin toss of opinion just like other critics or what individuals post.

I ignore the nonsense about things like him writing off Boulez in the most juvenile way, his grudge against certain conductors, distaste of pre-war recordings, etc.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 01:53:04 PM by hvbias »

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #667 on: August 30, 2021, 02:13:56 PM »
Just watched the Hurwitzer's Music Chat: Really BAD Symphonists (1) Kurt Graunke and then listened to Graunke's Seventh Symphony, the first movement. And god help me, I liked it! Proving what?...that either I have really bad taste or that Hurwitz grossly exaggerates. Still too early to come to a conclusion. I need to listen to more of his music before deciding.

Sarge

Measured, sober cultural reflection doesn't goose the internet traffic!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #668 on: August 30, 2021, 02:16:08 PM »

Sobriety is not a cult. You're welcome.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #669 on: August 30, 2021, 03:52:01 PM »
Sobriety is not a cult. You're welcome.

Temperance movements and prohibition?