Time Change - Daylight/Standard time?

Started by Brahmsian, November 05, 2021, 07:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you like to be done regarding the Daylight Savings and Standard Time Changes?

Keep status quo of changing the clocks bi-annually.
Move to permanent Daylight Savings Time
Move to permanent Standard Time
Move to one Universal Time
Banana

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 05, 2021, 08:02:19 PM
??? If you keep Daylight Savings Time, you won't have that Sunday where you gain an extra hour.

I think that by "keep Daylight Savings Time" he means keep the shift to and from it, ie keep the current system.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on November 06, 2021, 12:37:02 AM
I think that by "keep Daylight Savings Time" he means keep the shift to and from it, ie keep the current system.

Yes, this is what I meant. I voted for option 1.

Jo498

I never suffered much because of the time change but I'd like to live a year or two without it because as I wrote above I was small child when it was introduced and have no recollection how before was any different. I just checked, when I spent one year at university in Seattle in the mid-1990s they also had daylight savings time, so I have never lived without DST.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Szykneij

Quote from: Wanderer on November 05, 2021, 10:29:29 AM
Permanent Standard Time, obviously, which is a closer approximate to actual, astronomical time.

My vote, too.

As an aside, my wife is in charge of scheduling meetings with individuals across the globe -- something that's difficult enough to do most of the year. Currently, with various countries changing or not changing clocks on different dates, it's a real nightmare.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Pohjolas Daughter

Personally, I enjoy the time change.  I love the "extra" hour of sunlight.

PD

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 06, 2021, 07:10:52 AM

PD

we can still be friends 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 06, 2021, 07:10:52 AM

PD

Agreed, although my youngest will still wake up at the same time, making the 'fall back an hour' moot. I suppose I could keep her awake later tonight... :-\

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Brahmsian

I for one really do appreciate those long summer days with sunlight until 9 or 10pm, so I guess I am a DST fan.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 06, 2021, 07:30:46 AM
we can still be friends 8)
Yeah!  ;D

Quote from: VonStupp on November 06, 2021, 07:33:31 AM
Agreed, although my youngest will still wake up at the same time, making the 'fall back an hour' moot. I suppose I could keep her awake later tonight... :-\

VS
There's an idea!  :D

Quote from: OrchestralNut on November 06, 2021, 08:53:56 AM
I for one really do appreciate those long summer days with sunlight until 9 or 10pm, so I guess I am a DST fan.
Now we're talking!  :)

Perhaps I should move further north...like to Finland?  And enjoy those long days filled with sunlight.  Question:  do they use some sort of black-out curtains these days in order to get a decent amount of sleep?  :-\

PD

Daverz

Realized that what I actually wanted was permanent DST, because I hate when it's dark at 5PM in the winter.

Karl Henning

Well, I've changed the two clocks which won't change automatically, nd I can chill out.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 06, 2021, 07:02:10 PM
Well, I've changed the two clocks which won't change automatically, nd I can chill out.
Remember to change your watch too (Need to do mine once I can deal with going into my chilly kitchen).  And car clock.  :)

PD

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 07, 2021, 02:47:02 AM
Remember to change your watch too (Need to do mine once I can deal with going into my chilly kitchen).  And car clock.  :)

PD

Good call!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Maestro267

If we had permanent DST here, in December the sun wouldn't rise until after 9am.