Music with Rhythm

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, September 13, 2021, 04:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Any nice orchestral works with strong rhythm/beat?

Do you think rhythmic variation and expression is very important for Classical music compositions just as it is in Jazz and Latin music?

amw

Mirror Image

Ifukube's Ritmica Ostinata immediately comes to mind here. As a former percussionist in school band, I think rhythm is quite important in all music not just classical.

Mirror Image

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: amw on September 13, 2021, 05:00:58 PM
No and no.

;D ;D

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 13, 2021, 05:01:33 PM
Ifukube's Ritmica Ostinata immediately comes to mind here. As a former percussionist in school band, I think rhythm is quite important in all music not just classical.

I appreciate it. I will check it out since I like him.

P.s. I love rhythmic component of William Walton's music.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Mirror Image

Of course, we can't overlook the rhythmical aspects of composers like Stravinsky, Bartók, Janáček, Martinů, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Ligeti et. al. Each of these composers have such a unique approach to rhythm. Gubaidulina, too, as from what I have read, her music is often based on some kind of rhythmic fragment or series of rhythms.

Symphonic Addict

These are masters of rhythm in my view:

Holmboe, Honegger, Hindemith, Copland, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Bartók, Villa-Lobos. Do explore more of his music: symphonies, chamber music, piano works, other orchestral pieces.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

An example of rhythm and rigurosity is Kabelac's Mystery of Time. A masterful passacaglia. The rhythm grows gradually, and achieves a taut tension as it progresses. Rather impressive.

Also, the four granitic Symphonic Metamorphosis by Vagn Holmboe. I rather like their titles. Very evocative.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 13, 2021, 04:59:19 PM

Do you think rhythmic variation and expression is very important for Classical music compositions just as it is in Jazz and Latin music?

Explore Stockhausen - e.g. Himmelfahrt and pretty well anything by Steve Reich
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

+1 for Shosty, Holmboe and Bartok.
I will check Kabelac, Stockhausen and Reich.  :)

Roasted Swan

relm1

Don't forget Ravel's Bolero. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on September 14, 2021, 06:16:08 AM
Don't forget Ravel's Bolero.

Or really Ravel in general. He had a fascinating approach to rhythm.

Mirror Image

I suppose it's probably a cliché to mention Falla, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Revueltas, Chávez or Guarnieri, but a lot of their music is no doubt rhythmically-centered.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 14, 2021, 06:27:13 AM
I suppose it's probably a cliché to mention Falla, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Revueltas, Chávez or Guarnieri, but a lot of their music is no doubt rhythmically-centered.

I like all of them!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 13, 2021, 04:59:19 PM

I don't think it is hard to find classical music with "strong rhythm/beat." But I tend to find that a lot of sophisticated, relatively modern classical music is rhythmically simplistic. If I had to name a composer who is more rhythmically sophisticated than most it would be Brahms. Often there is rhythmic syncopation or other features that aren't really obvious unless you listen for them, which contribute the the ebb and flow of the music.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

relm1

This might not be exactly what OP meant with this thread, but John Adams has a very strong sense of rhythm in Harmonielehre however it evolves subtly.  Part of the challenge of performing the work is you have a repeating rhythmic figure that very slowly changes.  Friends in the Los Angeles Philharmonic have said his music is the hardest they've played because it demands constant focus because you get lulled in to a sense of repetition only to later realize you're lost.  The same can be said of Ravel's Bolero that is very challenging to perform, not because of the music, but because of the repetitive nature.  If you lose focus for a beat, you're lost.  Most other music have an anchor to which you can re-establish focus, such as a time signature change or a new instrument joining in or something you can rely on.  Not so easy when the music changes very, very slowly.

SimonNZ