Author Topic: Another excerpt of my Symphony No. 1  (Read 1844 times)

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
Another excerpt of my Symphony No. 1
« on: September 06, 2021, 03:20:50 PM »
I've previously posted a movement from my Symphony No. 1 that was performed in 2004.  I'm currently working on my Symphony No. 4, but just before, I made major revisions to the No. 1 which I had written quite some time ago and felt it had major structural flaws though I liked what I intended.  Earlier this summer, I made major revisions to it and cut out A LOT!  The original version was 40 minutes long!  This version is 25 minutes and much stronger I feel.  Here are the final three minutes of it.  It gets quite loud. 

https://clyp.it/k5af5le2
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 05:43:50 AM by relm1 »

Offline krummholz

• Vagn Holmboe (1909-1996)
Re: Another excerpt of the my Symphony
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 04:57:45 PM »
I've previously posted a movement from my Symphony No. 1 that was performed in 2004.  I'm currently working on my Symphony No. 4, but just before, I made major revisions to the No. 1 which I had written quite some time ago and felt it had major structural flaws though I liked what I intended.  Earlier this summer, I made major revisions to it and cut out A LOT!  The original version was 40 minutes long!  This version is 25 minutes and much stronger I feel.  Here are the final three minutes of it.  It gets quite loud. 

https://clyp.it/k5af5le2

Well, the idiom sounds very full-blooded, late Romantic, maybe even a bit filmic in a way. What you've posted sounds indeed like a coda, or part of one. But it's very hard to know what to make of the piece from such a small fragment. Why not post the full work?

Offline classicalgeek

• Currently Listening to:
    Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
Re: Another excerpt of the my Symphony
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 01:27:41 PM »
Well, the idiom sounds very full-blooded, late Romantic, maybe even a bit filmic in a way. What you've posted sounds indeed like a coda, or part of one. But it's very hard to know what to make of the piece from such a small fragment. Why not post the full work?

I'd like to hear the whole thing too! What you posted is very enticing indeed - I like how it builds inexorably to the conclusion and its blaze of D (I think) major. I look forward to hearing more from you!