Your Favorite of The Five

Started by DaPianist, September 18, 2021, 09:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaPianist

By which I mean the Russian five, aka The Mighty Handful.
  (And if someone has already did this notify me thank you) :D
If you are reading this then go practice your instrument thank you

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Brahmsian

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 19, 2021, 07:10:18 AM
Without a doubt, it isn't even close for me.

That's three votes for Rimsky-Korsakov so far. 8) But I do like Mussorgsky a lot, though.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 19, 2021, 07:11:25 AM
That's three votes for Rimsky-Korsakov so far. 8) But I do like Mussorgsky a lot, though.

But when you think about it, 95% of Mussorgsky's fame on one single composition, of which is an orchestrated version of which he didn't compose.

Otherwise, he would likely be as much of a non factor as Cesar Cui.

MusicTurner

Besides the Pictures at an Exhibition, written in a daring avant-garde style of its day, Boris Godunov is exceptionally important in the history of Russian opera, and Night on a Bald Mountain a masterpiece; likewise a lot of the songs represent interesting stuff, among other things for their social comments/consciousness and musical style. But it would indeed have been nice with further major, finished works.

Jo498

Mussorgski, poor dipsomaniac genius but the greatest of them

Rimsky, Borodin are good composers, the latter unfortunately had to spend too much time with chemistry...

Balakirev - I have his symphonies but don't remember anything about them

Cui (not sure if I have even heard any of his music)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

In general I prefer the music of Rimsky-Korsakov (my first ever favourite composer) - but I consider Boris Godunov to be greater than anything in RK's output:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DaPianist

Balakirev needs some more love--
If you are reading this then go practice your instrument thank you

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: DaPianist on September 19, 2021, 04:15:04 PM

He would be my 3rd choice after RK and Borodin. It happens with Mussorgsky that others have orchestrated many of his works, and that doesn't benefit him in terms of originality IMO. Actually, it detracts a little what we have of his oeuvre nowadays. I think he was too disorganized and lazy.

What about Cui? Well, my namesake is not up to my expectations, I'm afraid.  ;D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

The new erato

I think he mainly was too drunk. IMO the greatest genius of them but sadly lacking an extensive catalog of finished works.

vandermolen

Quote from: DaPianist on September 19, 2021, 04:15:04 PM
I enjoy the First Symphony and the piano concertos very much:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jo498

Even without orchestrations, Mussorgsky has both the greatest solo piano piece and the best Lieder (Songs and Dances of Death, Sunless, Nursery) of any Russian before Rachmaninoff. I am not into opera, so I have only superficial knowledge of Mussorgsky's and Rimsky's operas. However, Boris Godunov seems to work much better and more frequently performed outside Russia than Rimsky's operas.
Rimsky has of course lots of orchestral spectacular stuff, many operas and clearly was the most accomplished of them. But I prefer overall the few extant instrumental works of Borodin to most of Rimsky (Sheherazade must be one of the most overrated pieces ever, I prefer even Rimsky's Antar)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Ganondorf

Unquestionably Rimsky-Korsakov.

Cato

Quote from: Ganondorf on October 16, 2021, 09:19:17 AM

Unquestionably Rimsky-Korsakov.

Unquenchably Rimsky-Korsakov!

Boris Godunov vs. The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh and the Maiden Fevroniya

Difficult choice, but I will choose Kitezh almost every time

https://www.youtube.com/v/QKilS-H8AMg
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)