Alla Pavlova (b.1952)

Started by foxandpeng, September 21, 2021, 06:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Time for a thread dedicated to Alla Pavlova.

I'm surprised, bearing in mind the zeitgeist, that this female Ukrainian-American composer isn't better known or fêted.  Best known for her tonal, accessible, romantic symphonic work, with 8 of her 11 symphonies released so far by Naxos and Albany, she is well worthy of inclusion in the rapidly expanding number of immigres to America finding a place in the 21st century catalogue.

According to t'internet, her music takes as its inspiration the great Russian masters of the 20th century, and each of her works seem crossed by the topic of uprooting and exile. She lives in New York, where she is a member of New York Women Composers, and is an increasingly favourite composer of mine. Her ballet suite, Sulamith is lovely, as is Monolog, The Old New York Nostalgia (suite), and Thumbelina.

MusicWeb have a helpful feature on her to get you started:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2005/Oct05/Pavlova_feature.htm
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Cross-posting from the WAYLT thread...

Alla Pavlova
Symphony #5
Elegy
Tchaikovsky Symphony Orchestra of Moscow Radio
Vladimir Ziva
Naxos

Alla Pavlova writes beautiful music: of that, there is little doubt. Her style won't break any new ground, be considered avant-garde, or forge any new musical language, but if you enjoy tuneful, lush, emotional music, then it is hard to go wrong with pretty much any of her recorded output on Naxos.

Symphony #5 gets a big thumbs up from me. I know there are lots of contemporary composers out there, but not many female symphonists write so well for strings, IMO.

Interesting link below...

http://www.tokafi.com/news/cd-feature-alla-pavlova-symphony-no-5/
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: foxandpeng on December 08, 2021, 03:37:16 PM
Cross-posting from the WAYLT thread...

Alla Pavlova
Symphony #5
Elegy
Tchaikovsky Symphony Orchestra of Moscow Radio
Vladimir Ziva
Naxos

Alla Pavlova writes beautiful music: of that, there is little doubt. Her style won't break any new ground, be considered avant-garde, or forge any new musical language, but if you enjoy tuneful, lush, emotional music, then it is hard to go wrong with pretty much any of her recorded output on Naxos.

Symphony #5 gets a big thumbs up from me. I know there are lots of contemporary composers out there, but not many female symphonists write so well for strings, IMO.

Interesting link below...

http://www.tokafi.com/news/cd-feature-alla-pavlova-symphony-no-5/
Thank you for bringing her to our attention.  I'm currently listening to a sample from her fifth symphony on youtube (found by googling).  You can listen to it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKW5XDP3RLY   :)  Lovely!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

foxandpeng

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 09, 2021, 06:54:00 AM
Thank you for bringing her to our attention.  I'm currently listening to a sample from her fifth symphony on youtube (found by googling).  You can listen to it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKW5XDP3RLY   :)  Lovely!

PD

Delighted you like it! I find her so worthwhile.

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Cross posting from the WAYLT thread

b]Alla Pavlova
Symphonies 7 & 8
Gintaras Rinkevicius
Lithuanian SSO [/b]

If you are interested in Ukrainian composers or in finale composers  or in enjoyable composers, this is worth a listen.

It is reflective, engaging music that complements the spring sunshine that is pouring through the windows today. #7 is a little wistful, but is always tuneful, serene and beautiful. #8 is more textured, with greater energy, and is described by the composers as kind of her Ode to Joy.

Pavlova has an undoubted contribution to make in raising the profile of accessible modern music, written in a neo-romantic style.

Tolstoy

Maestro267

Why am I not seeing that recording on Amazon? Symphonies 7 & 8

foxandpeng

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 26, 2022, 03:15:46 AM
Why am I not seeing that recording on Amazon? Symphonies 7 & 8

It was released only as a download and never as a physical release. I imagine buying directly from Naxos is the only non-streaming option. I go via Spotify as my default, in any case.

Tolstoy